You CAN Wear Red Lipstick
Is there a tube of red lipstick in your makeup bag? A lot of women say there isn’t. Many women avoid red lipstick because they feel they can’t pull it off. After all, red is a bold color. Yet, every woman can wear red lipstick. It’s true! There is a red lipstick for every woman. The key is choosing the correct shade of red and making sure the rest of your makeup is applied correctly.
To discover which shade of red works for you, consider your underlying skin tone. If your base skin color has yellow tones, warmer reds with some brown undertones should work well. If your underlying skin has red or pink undertones, learn toward reds that have a blue or pink base. Choosing the right shade of red lipstick makes all the difference in the world.
To apply red lipstick, start out by moisturizing your lips. Then, apply a bit of foundation to your lips and seal it off with powder. This will help to set your lipstick and allow it to last longer. Next, take a lip pencil that is in a similar shade as your lipstick and line yoru lips. Then, apply your red lipstick. Finally, take a tissue and blot the excessive off your lips.
Once you have found your red lipstick match and you know how to apply it, it’s important to understand that the rest of your makeup needs to look as clean and natural as possible. Wearing heavy eye and check makeup and red lipstick is a little much. Since red pops and your lips will be the focus of your face, keep the your makeup subtle. Keep your eye shadow light and use a blush that has a natural tone.
Black, brown or charcoal eyeliners work the best with red lipsticks. Also, groomed eyebrows help to pull the entire face together. Why go to all the trouble of finding the perfect lipstick and applying the rest of your makeup correctly when your eyebrows scream, “Help!”
If you find the look of red lipstick, even the correct shade, is a bit too overwhelming for you, consider starting with a red lip gloss, instead. Red lip gloss is a bit more subtle than red lipstick and it can help you make the transition to red lipstick. Remember, it can take some time to get used to wearing red lipstick, but you can do it!
Red Lipstick Tips
Here are some tips and pointers to help you with red lipstick:
* Wear a softer or sheerer shade of red if you are going to be outside. Opt for the bolder reds in the evening hours.
* Women with thin lips should avoid the very deep, intense reds. These colors will only make lips look thinner.
* Don’t be afraid to wear red if you have very, very pale skin. The contrast will look sexy.
* To soften a red lipstick, top it with a gold tinged gloss. To make the red take on a bluer cast, top your lips with a pink gloss.
* If you need a bit of color to your cheeks to balance out the look, dab a smudge of your red lipstick onto your cheeks and blend it in.
* If you find that your lip-liner doesn’t match your lipstick perfectly, forego the red liner and opt for a lip liner that matches your natural lip color.
* To keep your lipstick from bleeding, apply concelaer around your mouth prior to moisturizing your lips.
* To keep lipstick from sticking to your teeth, after application put your index finger into your mouth and wrap your lips around it like you are going to suck your finger. This will help to remove any excess and keep it from getting on your teeth.
When you first begin wearing red lipstick, seeing yourself in the mirror may give you a shock. But, don’t let the shock send you off to the bathroom to remove it! Allow yourself time to adjust to the departure from the norm. When you are wearing red lipstick for the first time, look at yourself in the mirror often to give your eyes time to adjust to your new look. You will get used to the bold look and come to love it!
For more information and advice on wearing makeup, take a look at the following:
Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro
Seventeen Ultimate Guide to Beauty: The Best Makeup Ideas For You
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Don't miss a word: subscribe today (it's free)!
Is there a tube of red lipstick in your makeup bag? A lot of women say there isn’t. Many women avoid red lipstick because… more...
If growing older didn’t take enough of a toll on women with the facial lines, wrinkles, and the gravitational pull of… more...
Summer is here, so it’s time to celebrate with some summery nail designs! All you need is six bright nail colours,… more...
Are you one of the millions of people who suffer from spider veins? Spider veins are those small, thin veins that are… more...
One of the things that people who are prone to acne in their youth look forward to about becoming an adult is the thought… more...
Do you love having manicured nails? I always shape my nails and clean them with soap & a nail brush. I always paint…... more...
I just wanted to share this company, lindy bop, who I’ve…... more...
Thought I’d share this find of mine. Bought some eco-cleaning products since they were on sale and I’ve been…... more...
Has anyone seen this article in the BBC, £1m Parc…... more...
What is the best waterproof mascara that gives lengthening look to the lashes ?