Welcome!
We are an online community for women.
Click here to join us (it's free)!

Female Forum

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
Female Forum is a real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky you! Sign in here.

Made in England…....where does your food really come from?

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 11:09 AM   Ignore ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3311
Joined  05 Sep 2008

Do you ever worry about where the food you eat comes from? Are you worried about E numbers, preservatives and flavourings? Do you make sure you only buy organic produce, so that you can be 100% certain it hasn’t been sprayed with pesticides?

I was reading a report in the paper recently about cheese,  and it would appear that most of the “value” range in some well known supermarkets, is actually made in Latvia! Although it states on the packaging that it is packaged in the UK, it isn’t actually made here. Would that bother you?

There are of course some firms that still make cheese by hand, especially in the west country. Such firms have been around for a long time, and take enormous pride in their craft.

Would you buy value range cheese if you knew it was imported, or would you prefer to buy your food knowing it was actually “made in England”?

cheese

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 10:24 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Community Manager
Total Posts:  2202
Joined  16 Jul 2008

To be honest, I don’t really look to see *where* a product was produced - although I do care about the circumstances under which it was made. For example, I don’t care where my eggs come from, as long as they are free range. I don’t care where my coffee comes from, as long as it is organic (and preferably fair trade).

‘Place of origin’ has always been a big loophole. I know that here in the United States most of the Maine lobsters are actually from Canada - like the situation in the UK, legally they only need to state the country of last modification or packaging.

Souxi, your post brings up bigger issues - why should we be supporting farmers in the UK over ones in Latvia? We’re all human beings with the same needs, right? That being said, should we be protecting Cheddar’s name in the way Melton Mowbray pork pies are protected?

I think cheddar is too universal to enjoy the same protections. I have actually visited Cheddar in Somerset, England and sampled some lovely cheeses - including cheddar that was traditionally ripened (if that’s the word) in the local caves. You should see what they call cheddar over here in the US - it’s bright orange and loaded with rubbish. It’s an insult!

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 07:46 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  4328
Joined  24 Jul 2009

In the past I had to be so very careful about what my kids ate so went armed with a special book to make sure I only bought ‘safe’ products. I also got into the habit of reading and interpreting labels quite well so this trick is not a new one to me.

One supermarket was recently exposed as they said their salmon came from lake xxxxxx turns out theres no such place but they call thier production plant by that name.
So even if the food is made in England theres no guarentee that you get what you think you are paying for because anyone can buy a factory unit and name it honeysuckle farm !!!

On the other hand you really dont want to know too much, I used to live in Burton Latimer thats where they make ( or did ) weetabix I loved weetabix, since living in Burton Latimer I have never eaten them again.
My OH has worked on maintenace in many food processing places and the things he has seen make my stomach churn..

Sometimes a bit of ignorence is bliss!

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 11:49 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  20 Jul 2009

I shop all over the place!  From supermarkets, to street markets, to local shops like butchers, bakers and jewllers (just window shopping!) to farmers’ markets and the internet too.

If I can buy local, then that is great, if that is not practical, I try to avoid anything with too many airmiles, but also have to balance that out with my love of coffee and tea!  Let’s face it, if I boycott imported food, then am I denying someone a living elsewhere?

E numbers, well, salt has an E number and most probably sugar as well.

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 05:58 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  19 Jun 2011

Oh Martin, then you haven’t had real cheddar! I am on the west coast too and you’re right, they have no idea what real cheddar is. Now go to Vermont and you will get the real deal, textured and all. I suppose you could order online too. smile

btw, (haven’t read all the posts) what are E numbers?

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 07:03 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  18 Oct 2011

It really depends for me. I’m not really one to care so much, but I’m cheap and generally do like to support the locally grown stuff. But its not the only rule.

Although, I am lucky, as there is an amazing market about 15 min away, and its all local and very cheap (I can get 10 lbs of ground beef for $7.50 cdn). Its all seasonal, all local, and really close and cheap. Only down fall is its only open Thurs and Sat, and on Sat its INSANE. If I am off on a Thurs, I go. If not—its the grocery store, and I don’t pay attention to were its from.

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 08:22 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7710
Joined  27 Mar 2011

As far as cheese goes… I buy local, imported… Other products, I choose free range chicken, eggs etc… locally grown veg and fruits where possible or imported. I am very weary where I buy red meat… never go for the cheapest - quality is key for me.

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 09:28 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Community Manager
Joined  16 Jul 2008
myturn - 15 Nov 2011 05:58 AM

Oh Martin, then you haven’t had real cheddar! I am on the west coast too and you’re right, they have no idea what real cheddar is. Now go to Vermont and you will get the real deal, textured and all. I suppose you could order online too. smile

btw, (haven’t read all the posts) what are E numbers?

E Numbers are standardized codes for food additives across Europe. So for example, in America you might see something on the ingredients list like ‘Orange Number 5’ in Europe you’d see something like E123 (I just made that number up).

I don’t think I’ve tried Vermont cheddar; I’ll have to go find some. I live near to Tillamook cheese factory - they do some OK aged cheddars there - they do a Garlic Chili Cheddar which is awesome!

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 04:22 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  19 Jun 2011

I’m a neighbor Martin and have tried Tillamook…and my suggestion is Vermont! lol Really, it is out of this world. I like the extra sharp myself. Until I tried the real mozzarella in Italy I had no idea that the rubber they sell and call mozzarella here is nothing like the real deal, but I can now find the mozzarella fresca in some markets and that is all I will buy now. Thanks for the explanation.

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 07:30 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Community Manager
Joined  16 Jul 2008

My wife and I want to try making our own mozzarella… apparently it’s pretty easy to make at home.

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: The ultimate shopping companion     Next Topic: Are teachers too strict sometimes? ››

Popular Content (Sponsored: These links will take you away from Female Forum)

chat with singles