Welcome!
We are an online community for women.
Click here to join us (it's free)!

Female Forum

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
Female Forum is a real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky you! Sign in here.

Page 1 of 2.     Go to page:

To tan, or not to tan?

Posted: 19 Jun 2010 02:40 PM   Ignore ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  01 Nov 2009

I was just wondering what you girlies do?

I have never actually been that bothered about getting a tan and actually quite enjoy being bright white! :D

Do any of you feel the pressure to bake in the sun? Or spend a lot of money on fake tan?

Btw, this was prompted by a pic of me and my best friend that was taken a couple of days ago where I look like I glow in the dark - it was the flash, even I’m not that white! raspberry Have had to link you guys to the photo, as I can’t upload one!

http://www.twitpic.com/1xm612

Posted: 19 Jun 2010 04:47 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4328
Joined  24 Jul 2009

I have never tanned , being naturally light skinned if I’m out too long I get heat stroke.
Slowly I do go a little brown and I develop freckles.
I sometimes use a little of the tanning body lotions on my legs or else by the time I get round to wearing a skirt my arms and legs look as if they are from different people !

I love the historical and social snobbery of tanned skin. Way back when, ladies did not get tanned they protected their white skin with parasols outside and firescreens when indoors.. This showed they did not have to do manual labour..Only those who worked in the fields were tanned.

Then in the 1960’s when the foreign holiday took off everyone wanted a tan to show they had the money to go abroad..
Then in the 70’s and 80’s when foreign holidays became affordable for everyone a winter tan became the in thing ..That meant you had the money to go skiing..

Tans come and go but Id rather be pale and pasty than dried out and suffering skin cancer..

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 06:29 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  01 Apr 2009

Haha. I love that photo. You do look a little “bright” but still very pretty! smile

I don’t tan. I’m very pale-skinned so I burn really easily. I hate looking like a tomato and it’s painful to boot. I’m ok with being pasty.

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 04:10 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  20 Jul 2009

Staying out of the sun pays dividends as you get older, fewer wrinkles!  And I hate the orange day glo look you get out of a bottle, so, milk white I stay.

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 04:50 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  01 Nov 2009

Awww, thank you MillyK! :D Very sweet of you smile

Yay! Big cheer for the milk white ladies! :D

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 09:07 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  06 Jun 2010

i have had 2 suncancers removed one on my chest and one from my earlobe(it’s now smaller than the other one),i have never been a sun worshipper however have always walked a lot and love gardening,in this country you need to protect your skin,of course we didn’t know that in the old day’s
my young sister has had several removed from her face they were melanoma’s (mine basil cell) she was 3 when we came to aus i was 15 so she was outside even more than i was or the others and is paying for it now
my daughter refuses to go in the sun and is very white(unusual for australia)

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 05:26 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  20 Jul 2009

I managed to burn badly several times as a child and a teenager, there just wasn’t the concern.  I do keep a very careful watch on my skin for any changes, and once when a pink blob turned up on my leg, I went stragith to the quack.  It’s nothing to worry about, but I check it every day for changes.  It is more my back I worry about, not so easy to check for changes there!  Now, I try and keep out of the sun as much as possible.  I usually garden in the evening or early morning, and use as high a factor sun screen as I can find.

Posted: 04 Aug 2010 02:38 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Breaking the Ice
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  19 Jul 2010

KT that’s such a pretty picture of you grin

I tan funnily…my legs and arms become a honey sort of colour but my face becomes bright pink or red, especially my nose, which gets this burnt reddish-bronze colour…haha…I have a long nose so I suppose it sticks out and takes the brunt of the burning.

I just stay out of the sun as much as possible now…took plenty of it in during school and college.

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 03:55 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Breaking the Ice
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  04 Aug 2010

theres nothing more pleasant for me then a sun-bath at the seashore. No artificial tanning or lotions for me! Everuthing that is not natural hurts!

Posted: 06 Aug 2010 07:24 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  01 Nov 2009

Awww, thank you Faye! Clearly the luminous look is a good one for me! :D

Posted: 13 Aug 2010 12:38 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  3249
Joined  01 Aug 2010

Oh god, with my red hair I burn if I look at a picture of the sun, no way no tan for me.

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 02:08 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Breaking the Ice
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  16 Aug 2010

While it’s healthy to get some sun and absorb as much vitamin D as possible, I tend not to get a tan. It’s unhealthy to be in the sun for too long; you can get burned, which has long-term adverse effects, including melanoma or accelerated aging.

I recently got married, and many people pressured me to get a tan so I’d have a golden glow on my wedding day. I resisted, and I think I look just fine in the pictures!

Posted: 10 Jun 2011 07:42 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Shy
Total Posts:  5
Joined  10 Jun 2011

I’ve done it all…  Laid out in the sun for hours, been burnt to a crisp, fake bake in the tanning beds, even spray on tans…

Last year I was fake baking and I noticed a ton of little wrinkles appearing.  I decided that’s enough since I was only 28 at the time.  Since then I have decided to embrace my pale skin.  If I get a little color because I am outside doing an activity, fine.  When I am at the beach though, I sit under the umbrella and have on SPF 50!

Posted: 10 Jun 2011 11:04 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  16 Mar 2011

I tan in the winter using beds but only twice a week until I barely get color. Just enough to not harm my skin smile I’m 25 and have no signs of aging just yet. I consider myself lucky and blessed :D

Posted: 11 Jun 2011 01:08 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  27 Mar 2011

I’m mostly sun-tanned - most of our holidays are outdoors on the beach or in the bushveldt and although I take all the necessary precautions, its very evident I’ve been in the sun lol!!!!

Posted: 03 Aug 2011 12:45 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  31 Jul 2011

A healthy tan is nicer with blonder hair.

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Page 1 of 2.     Go to page:
Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: Inexpensive Decorating Ideas     Next Topic: Best Way to Tan ››

Popular Content (Sponsored: These links will take you away from Female Forum)

chat with singles