Welcome!
We are an online community for women.
Click here to join us (it's free)!

Female Forum

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
Female Forum is a real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky you! Sign in here.

my boss is cruella devill

Posted: 23 Nov 2010 04:44 PM   Ignore ]  
Shy
Total Posts:  4
Joined  23 Nov 2010

hello,i am a forty year old woman who had suffered with 2 anurissums on the brain in may this year.one had popped on the front so i was rushed straight into hospital.this has affected my memory and concentration.im permantly brain damaged.my boss rang me last week to see if i wanted to go back to work in the chippy on the conditions it was just 2 hours and i didnt have to work on a friday as i wasnt ready for the mad rush.so i went back on the monday and did my 2hrs right up untill the thursday!on the saturday i had a phone call from my bosses wife asking why i wasnt in on the friday and what shifts did i want do for the next week.she knew i didnt want do fridays as i wasnt ready and i was supposed to be doing 2hrs not 5hrs.i felt very under pressure.when i came off the phone i told my mother what was said as i forget due to memory loss.she also said that the wanted know what i was doing because they needed to know the rotas for staff totally forgetting i was just there to build my confidence not a worker as im still on sick,this is called permitted work as i didnt get paid for been there.iv wrote a letter to the boss stating i was pressurised and it really got me down.if i ever felt a headache coming on i didnt want feel guilty to ring up and state i wasnt going in.now they are making out that they didnt say anything like that,so really there taking advatage out of my illness.now i really dont want to go back there and i dont even answer the phone to anyone incase its work..this is the time that im really bad with my headaches.my sickpay runs out on the 20th december,can he stop my sickpay!?

Posted: 23 Nov 2010 04:46 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Shy
Joined  23 Nov 2010

my neice wrote this out for me as i was having headaches,so sorry for the spelling

Posted: 23 Nov 2010 04:52 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4328
Joined  24 Jul 2009

Im not sure where you are so I cant say for sure what rights you have ...I know here an employer cannot force you back to work until a doctor employed by the office of work and pensions has declared you fit..

Do you have an employment or benefits office where you could ask for expert advice? They would know the rule and might be able to mediate between you and your boss so that you don’t have to deal with the pressure..

I hope that helps a little

Cassie

Posted: 23 Nov 2010 05:40 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Shy
Joined  23 Nov 2010

yes my freind is taking me this wk,but i can go back work and do light duties and less hours until i was ready to go back as normal, its called permitted work ,your employer just pays sick pay and not a wage for being there.hes just knocked my confidence and everything.

Posted: 23 Nov 2010 06:19 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  4328
Joined  24 Jul 2009

Ok ...I also did this when I was recovering from illness ... Your employer is not allowed to pressure you ...

Talk it over with the employment office..

But don’t let him bully you actually it might be an idea if you ask them not to phone you anymore because of your concentration/memory problems but that they do everything in writing either by post or email..Thats how I did everything when I was ill.

That gives you time to think about whats been said and how you want to reply ..
It also gives you proof of whats being asked of you just in case your employer tries anything underhand..

Posted: 23 Nov 2010 06:51 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Shy
Joined  23 Nov 2010

thanks cassandra thats a great idea, the thing with my boss there nice to everyone else like my partner and friends, then cant believe how theyve been with me. i knew i shouldnt of gone back ,i was always stressed out before this happened, because i was always carrying everyone,i was always rushing round.i wouldnt of minded if they didnt use my memory thing as an excuse.but then again im glad they did ,because i thinks its the push i needed.

Posted: 24 Nov 2010 09:54 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  20 Jul 2009

Find out about your rights, and let your boss know that you know.  Then take time for yourself, and look to your family for support.  You’ve done enough for them, now it is their turn to help you.

Posted: 24 Nov 2010 12:28 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  3249
Joined  01 Aug 2010

Well considering you mentioned you work in a chippy I can only assume you are in the UK, if so then due to your illness, if you leave because of their atttude then you would have grounds for contributary unfair dismissal, also make sure you record every phone conversation. If your doctor has signed you off until december 20th then they cannot stop your sickpay, in fact it is illegal for them to even ask you to work until that date. If you need someone to ring your employer and state your case firmly and feel your family cannot do it then either try the CAB or ask me and I will give them a headache, now what you also need to do is write down all this in a letter and send it recorded delivery to your employer and have someone independant witness it and state in the letter how their harrasment is detrimental to your condition and you do not wish them to ring you anymore. Going back to your sickpay, you will find if they stop sending it you the DHSS will send it to you and recover it from them, statutary sickpay in the UK is as it says a statutary right and cannot be stopped by an employer so long as you have a sick note. If they sack you the fantastic get onto a no win no fee industrial solicitor and wipe the floor with them

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: You dont match our profile..     Next Topic: OH has a new job... ››

Popular Content (Sponsored: These links will take you away from Female Forum)

chat with singles