Welcome!
We are an online community for women.
Click here to join us (it's free)!

Female Forum

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
Female Forum is a real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky you! Sign in here.

Dying clothes

Posted: 18 Dec 2010 11:54 AM   Ignore ]  
Shy
Total Posts:  5
Joined  18 Dec 2010

Hello
Do you have a trick to fix the colors on a garment, avoid fading in the wash?
Thx for your tips.

Posted: 18 Dec 2010 12:12 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4328
Joined  24 Jul 2009

I dont generally dye clothes but I know most cold water dyes recommend you add salt to ’ fix’ the colour and I daresay there are commercial products available…
When washing red or black clothes for the first time I add a dash of white natural vineger to help stop any colour running.

Posted: 18 Dec 2010 12:32 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Shy
Joined  18 Dec 2010

Thx for your suggestion.
Actualy, I dont know how the clothe has been dyed. It is a black top in silk and cotton blend, but each time I wash it, the water is completly black. However my top remain black too, the color doesn’t pass away.
But, I would like the color to be fixed, to avoid the water become black and expecting to wash the top with other clothes if possible !

Posted: 18 Dec 2010 03:00 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  3031
Joined  08 Jan 2010

Wash in cold water, and wash clothes together that are alike, dark with dark etc…. Thats normal for the colors to run in the wash for the first couple of times,it’s only because they are new, after a few washes it will stop running. There are laundry products out there that say they will keep the colors better and from fading. If you notice after time the black items tend to fade a bit. Check out your laundry aisle for these soaps.

Posted: 18 Dec 2010 03:43 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Shy
Joined  18 Dec 2010

I do wash clothes together according to colors, which is the basic things. If I have posted this message, it really because evey time I bought article from this shop, (I really don’t know what the dying they use), the color on fabric doesn’t fad but the color run out even after 20 times ! That’s why, I was wondering about something fixing the color.
I will try the suggestion of Cassandra with vinegar.
But the clothe doesnt smell after that ?

Posted: 18 Dec 2010 04:40 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  3249
Joined  01 Aug 2010

wash on a warm wash with a piece of lint or cheese cloth in, it soaks up the run and gets rid of the excess colour.

Posted: 18 Dec 2010 11:41 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  29 Sep 2010

I’ve never really had a problem with colours running. I usually just jam as much as I can in the washer, colour, black or white! If the piece of clothing is new then I’m a bit more careful!

Whilst on the subject of washing.. I’ve been having some drying problems. It’s not been AS bad recently because the heating’s more or less been on constantly for the past week or so.. but it’s hard getting the washing dry and smelling nice. :/ Everything kinda smells like wet dog!! I’ve got some fabric spray I get on everything when it comes out of the washer, but things still smell a bit skanky. Does anyone have any good tips to get washing smelling like freshly cut grass on a summers day!?

Posted: 19 Dec 2010 03:48 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  3031
Joined  08 Jan 2010

Petal, theres a couple of things you can do for fresh smelling clothes, which I am obsessed about.  I use a good laundry detergent to start, I find they give the clothes a longer lasting smell, the cheaper brands are mostly just water.

Maybe try smaller loads, with too many clothes, they need room to move around in the washer to get clean. Same goes for the dryer. Are you putting your clothes right into the dryer once they are washed?  if you let them sit in the washer to long after they are done that will give them a musty smell.

There are liquid fabric softners that you add to your rinse cycle,and fabric softner sheets that you put in your dryer with your clothes.  Both make your clothes smell nice and static free. And is probably cheaper than the fabric spray and last longer.

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: Do you girls try new beauty samples all the time?     Next Topic: Make your reservation here... ››

chat with singles