Welcome!
We are an online community for women.
Click here to join us (it's free)!

Female Forum

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
Female Forum is a real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky you! Sign in here.

Lack Of Motivation

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 12:34 AM   Ignore ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  18 Oct 2011

Ok, so I’ve been saying since the summer, I was going to get into shape.

But I just can’t seem to get into it consistently. I have a HUGE lack of motivation.

There are weeks that I’m great, and go out 4-5 days a week, and do great. Then the next week I just don’t go. I cannot seem to get into a habit.

Maybe its what I’m doing, maybe its just I’m feeling blah or tired alot of the time. But I don’t know how to get myself motivated.

What works for you?

Also, as a side note, what did any of you find worked for you in weight loss? And any one have any videos that worked well for them?

I’d love to find something that I could do in 30 min for those days I really don’t have much time (or when I am feeling lazy).

*edit: I’m not all that out of shape, I can run 5km-10km fairly easily, I can swim a bunch, but I weigh about 185lbs (although I look slightly smaller than that), and would love to trim down 10-20 lbs *

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 05:47 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4328
Joined  24 Jul 2009

First of all dont confuse weight with size… A ton of pillows will look huge in comparison to a ton of lead but the weight is the same ..

So weighing a lot doesnt mean you are fat..

I think working in a group or even with a partner is a great way to stay motivated because you have someone else to push or encourage you..

I was doing the bollywood workout at home but Ive since joined a gym with a friend and we do zumba classes..

There are loads of DVD workouts try peeking on YouTube for the one that suits you best before buying anything or if you have a WII why not try their dance or zumba workouts?

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 06:05 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Oct 2011

Oh believe me, I don’t at all confuse weight as size. What’s frustrating now is that I’m “larger” than I was a year ago. lol. I am actually no different in weight, but I just looked better and am struggling to get back to that.

I’m not at all saying I’m “fat”, I just am larger than I’ve been in the past, and would love to get back to my size from the last year. I am just frustrated that I’m not in that mind frame!

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 06:10 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7344
Joined  27 Mar 2011

it could be the time of the year… I think most of us feel flat. I also find winter being the worst for me….  I just don’t have the enthusiasm to do anything let alone exercise. Take it in your stride…. as Cassandra suggests doing it with a partner helps.

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 06:19 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Oct 2011

Actually, after Dec, I am hoping it would get better… My bf will officially be cleared to be physically active (after surgery). So hopefully that will help.

And thanks! I usually find I’m good in the fall… I love fall outdoors! But this year its just different. I’m in a continually lazy mood. lol.

Although, tomorrow, I’m gonna attempt to get back to it! And on that note, get some sleep!

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 07:27 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Community Manager
Total Posts:  2166
Joined  16 Jul 2008

Have you tried looking for something that’s a little more fun? Perhaps that will help motivate you. My wife has recently starting doing these weird Banghra dance workouts where you dance around the room, roaring like a tiger. It sounds very odd but she has fun doing it and I think that’s a big motivator.

Also, have you tried looking into the workout games on video game consoles?

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 11:21 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Oct 2011

I have tried Wii, and don’t really like it.

My fav thing is playing hockey and swimming—- both of which I do several times a week.

I think I’m just frustrated that I’ve seemed to have plateaued and don’t know where to go from here!

Anything dance related with me, is never any good. I always participate in some form of sport in all seasons, because I do love it.

Maybe I need something more fun,

Althuogh I was looking around, and there is a really neat app for exercise and dieting (I am never going to be a good dieter sadly).

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 06:20 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Breaking the Ice
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  28 Jul 2011

Being tired is the most common excuse for not exercising.

On the contrary, running is the solution to being tired.

It’s hard to get yourself into the routing becuase your body is sued to being stationary. When you start to run, you reach this plateau where you get the benefits of running. You feel LESS tired, your bones and muscles actually feel better. No headaches, better digestion.

Don’t exercise for the weight loss aspect, think of it as feeling better and it’s easier to be motivated.

If you feel tired get up and run anyway. You’ll be so amazed after 20 minutes how GOOD you feel.

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 04:56 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  19 Jun 2011

Sometimes my motivator needs motivating. lol But I like what jeanie said about trying to trick the old brain. smile

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 07:23 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  3249
Joined  01 Aug 2010

What gets me is everyone always says exercise is the key, what a load of bull, I have osteo arthritis in the knees to a degree they will be replaced soon I can walk but not run or exercise yet i found that by some mild arm and body stuff to help with stamina and a correct diet I still lost a few stone. If you are not careful too much exercise can lead to cravings for more foods, what you need is to look at your whole lifestyle and do all in moderation.

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 08:32 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

I think one should lose the weight first then exercise to tone the body. I cycle to keep in shape…. I would suggest some form of exercise is important!

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 05:22 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Oct 2011

My thing is, I’m actually in decent “shape”. As in I have no issue running for an hour or bike for 2-3 hours… its just getting myself motivated to do it.

I’ve realized that I’m getting a little unhappy with work, and so I’m slightly more perpetually cranky… and that isn’t helping!

But I’ve been better lately.

As for food, I am trying to keep track of it—but I will still go out and enjoy myself, because I can’t completely give it up.

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 05:44 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

Sounds like a lot has to do with your frame of mind Goosey…  I wouldn’t stress too much…. give it time…. take each day one at a time.

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 06:21 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Oct 2011

I know… its just frustrating to a point—but not enough to motivate me.

Its been a rough week. lol. I’ve decided to take monday and simply relax (but eat healthy). And then try again tues. lol.

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 07:27 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  19 Jun 2011

Sometimes taking a break to regroup can be healthy…as long as the break isn’t for too long. smile You will get motivated again, I hear it in your posts that you are determined. Water activities are an excellent way to exercise without putting stress on joints…so I hear. wink

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 08:05 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Oct 2011

Thanks!

And yeah, I should go for a swim! :D

I have finally gotten out of a weird clump of shifts—so hopefully it will be up from here. lol.

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: Weight Gain (and loss!) After An Injury     Next Topic: Urine Leakage After Sneeze/Cough ››

chat with singles