Welcome!
We are an online community for women.
Click here to join us (it's free)!

Female Forum

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
Female Forum is a real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky you! Sign in here.

Pharmacy on a Chip

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 08:07 AM   Ignore ]  
Female Forum Royalty
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7639
Joined  27 Mar 2011

Scientists are developing micro chips that can be implanted under the patient’s skin to control the release of drugs; activated by a remote control!

Any thoughts - I’d be a little concerned that something goes wrong and it releases an overdose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17050551

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 11:26 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3249
Joined  01 Aug 2010

Two ways of lookng at this, yes it could go wrong but consider a person with sever mental problems, this could ensure they have thier meds regular and also could have incorporated a sedative so if anything goes wrong they could be sedated in safety, also add to this the issue of sex offenders, they could be released after a certain time on condition they have one of these to give out the sexua urge suppressant or chemical castration as it is called.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 05:03 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  362
Joined  28 Feb 2011

I totally agree with Ms. LadyCaz
Not only people with mental problems, but the elderly people have alot of problems just remembering their meds.  Of course, the sons and daughters (normally daughters) quite often are Mom and Dad’s care takers and must help them keep track of meds.

About the sex offenders, I now agree 5 million percent with Ms. LC, ANYTHING that could help to eliminate this problem would be
most likely the best invention in history.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 06:04 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

You right guys, I wasn’t seeing further than my nose!!! The benefits are vast. It certainly opens the way as far as sex offenders are concerned.

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 02:40 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  3221
Joined  08 Jan 2010

Those are good points you’ve made Caz, the article also mentioned pain management, I wonder if something like this might be effective in possibly keeping people from over medicating and abusing pain meds, thus leading to addiction.

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 04:58 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

Could be beneficial there too Kam I would imagine….there is the ability to pre-schedule the doses.

Posted: 23 Feb 2012 09:15 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Community Manager
Total Posts:  2195
Joined  16 Jul 2008

Reminds me of the self-administering medication switch they sometimes give you in hospitals. Hopefully this new invention will have similar safeguards to prevent overdoses!!

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 04:21 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Breaking the Ice
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  09 Jul 2012

I read the article and while the potential applications for such a device are far-reaching, I also would be concerned about malfunctions. Under-dosing can be as bad as over-dosing and what happens if the containment pouch (whatever) for the medication leaked somehow? Breast implants leak all the time and granted, I don’t expect them to be made out of silicone, it’s an example.

I wonder how much something like this would cost?

For those with dementia, bipolar, epilepsy, those wanting contraception but with the ability for it to stop, it would be a brilliant idea. Chemical castration, as I believe was alluded to. Very good.

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: Shall we try together?     Next Topic: Tanning ››

Popular Content (Sponsored: These links will take you away from Female Forum)

chat with singles