Welcome!
We are an online community for women.
Click here to join us (it's free)!

Female Forum

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
Female Forum is a real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky you! Sign in here.

Page 1 of 2.     Go to page:

Shopping Habits…..

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 03:08 PM   Ignore ]  
Female Forum Royalty
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7577
Joined  27 Mar 2011

What are your grocery shopping habits… Are you loyal to one supermarket or do you shop around for specials and how often do you shop… daily, weekly or monthly?

Basically how organized are you in this area!!!!

I am beginning to realize I fail hopelessly…. I geneally do a big shop monthly, however, I find that on a daily basis I need to stop off at Woolies or where ever to get something we’ve run out of or forgotten to buy. I even find weekly on a Saturday/Sunday I’m at it again !!!!..... LOL….. Bally hell…... it never ends!

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 05:30 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3249
Joined  01 Aug 2010

We buyy meat from the local butchers, veg from local greengrocers and the rest from tesco.

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 06:06 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  3193
Joined  08 Jan 2010

I tend to stick to 1 or 2 grocery stores, unless its laundry detergent, then I don’t really bother with sales or specials, some people I know do, and they seem to spend more time and gas running around.

I always seem to run out of something too SG. I shop every couple of days, I’m going into the city anyway, so its usually something for lunches, which can be a pain, I get tired of sandwiches so I’m always having to think of something different, but yet is good and quick. rolleyes And as far as dinner, I plan a couple of meals ahead, and then I will think of something else to have after that, hence a trip to the grocery store…..

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 08:43 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Community Manager
Total Posts:  2186
Joined  16 Jul 2008

Living out in the sticks, nowadays we tend to do a big supermarket shop about once a month. In between, we go to the smaller, local shops - maybe once a week or so.

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 11:36 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

Ja, I also buy my meat from a butcher on a monthly basis and if I’ve forgotten to take meat out of the freezer, I’ll buy from Woolworths, which seems to happen more often than not.

I’m finding it a real pain Kam…. don’t know if its my frame of mind at the mo lol Told Franco this evening that from today, I refuse to do it… he either does, or we go without….. on’t mind on the weekends, but I am sick of stopping off every day!! “yes ma’am” says he!! - you bet mate, I ain’t kidding angry

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 11:30 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  01 Aug 2010

SocialGirl I take it Wollworths in SA is a seperate company as here Woolworths went bankrupt and b=never sold meat.

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 12:19 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

WW very big here LC.. besides clothing, household, etc, have a huge food section. I only buy my fruit and veg there and of course their meat section is completely free range…. their range of cheese is possibly the finest here too…  they’re terribly pricey though but at least one can assume we are getting the real deal lol.

I’ve decided to draw up a shopping list thingy on my iPad and add to it daily…. for both monthly and whenever…... Franco can go say twice during the week… what we don’t have for any particular day, we go without!  The other problem going daily is that I don’t necessarily buy only what we have run out of, so as a result I am possibly spending anything from R200 per day which is ridiculous….

Does anyone freeze their milk? Maybe that’s an option too… I can’t bear the shelf life stuff….

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 01:23 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  01 Aug 2010

Yeh we freeze milk np but you have to let it defrost at room temp and drink the same day

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 03:09 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

Oh okay…. so does it sour quicker after defrosting! mmmmm, that could be a prob - I suppose I could freez 500ml as opposed to 1/2lt.

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 04:54 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  08 Jan 2010

That is one of the reasons why I’m going to the grocery store every other day, Milk. Hubby drinks 2 litres every other day, its almost like he’s nursing for god sake tongue laugh So, no, frozen milk definately wouldn’t fly here. I suppose it could be worse, it could be alcohol I’m running for.

SG. make a list of what you need only and stick to it, I also just go for the things on my list and stay completely out of aisles that I don’t need to go in. And one more thing, don’t go into the store hungry, I find that helps.

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 05:17 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

Good point there Kam…. generally I am absolutely starved by the time I get there and ja, thats where I fail badly… perhaps I should go to our local grocer which is not very appealing; in fact I often wonder how he survives - their shelves are bare and stock mostly the very basics which would suite me actually lol

Gosh hubby likes his milk huh… like you say it could be beers you’re shopping for lol. Ja, I think I need to become more organised and disciplined, anyhow as things stand hubby will be dropping in on his way home, though I’m wondering how long that’ll work considering he comes home at such erratic hours lol

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 05:29 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  08 Jan 2010

That butcher thing might work SG. wink  my mom used to send us to our local butcher’s, his name was Foster, and he was the creepiest thing, whenever my sisters and I, we never went alone.. we would go in he would stand there looking at us eating raw meat, and then when you put your hand out for the change he would drop in the blood on the counter. He always had his meat hooks hanging about, and would threaten to hang us from them. All the kids in the neighborhood were scared of him. Thats why today I only buy my meat in a package gulp

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 06:28 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

Oi… that’s enough to scare any kid lol ... this reminds me of when I was a kid and the days when the milk man delivered the milk, the grreen grocer came twice weekly parked his lorry in our street and everyone went out and bought fresh veg and fruit… oh my fav being the ice cream van lol ......shock I WANT THEM DAYS BACK ( haha)

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 06:31 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  08 Jan 2010

Wouldn’t that be great, we’d never have to go grocery shopping ever again. grin

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 06:42 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

That’s true actually Kam… my mum used to phone thru her order to the butcher and grocery store and they delivered….  mind you the later happens here now….. our P & P take phone orders, debit your credit card, which I’ve tried but they more often than not mess up the Bally order or they out of stock and it becomes a nightmare cos now your card has be deviated, bla bla bla…. lol

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 09:05 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  696
Joined  06 Dec 2008

I shop for groceries about twice a week, mostly Morrisons, but I buy milk every 2/3 days because it is cheaper at our local news agents, who sell a few groceries,than the supermarkets.I also like to buy a few thigs from Marks & Spencers, also get a few things in Sainsburys

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Page 1 of 2.     Go to page:
Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: Mothers day     Next Topic: Blogs ››

Popular Content (Sponsored: These links will take you away from Female Forum)

chat with singles