Welcome!
We are an online community for women.
Click here to join us (it's free)!

Female Forum

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
Female Forum is a real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky you! Sign in here.

Falling out with family

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 11:50 AM   Ignore ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3301
Joined  05 Sep 2008

Have you ever fallen out with a family member? What was it about? Money? Children? Or maybe it was your choice of partner your family didn,t agree with.

I fell out with my sister in law years ago. At the time she was unemployed, and we had 2 children. We lived a good 30 miles away from her, and she would regularly ring us up, to ask us to drive all that way, to take her to the next town, (which was about 5 miles from her) so that she could cash her giro!!

I wouldn,t mind but she never gave us any petrol money. I think the OH did it because he felt a sense of loyalty to her I suppose. She would also regularly ask for “loans”. Now again, bear in mind that we had 2 kids to look after, she isn,t married, no children. Yet she expected us to give her money all the time!!

In fact I also remember when I was pregnant with my daughter, because of her money troubles, she got thrown out of her house. I drove all the way to her house, took her to the court, and we put her up on the floor in our house(we only had 2 bedrooms) PLUS her 2 cats, and she still moaned!!

This of course caused no end of rows between me and the OH. To this day she has never paid it back.

Once we took her on holiday with us. BIG mistake. Almost as soon as we got there we wished we hadn,t taken her. She moaned constantly from day one, about everything, from her lack of cash, to what we were going to eat, to the children making too much noise for her.

When my youngest was born 10 years ago, she came to our old house to se him, (she borrowed someones car) and that was the last time we saw her. I have no desire to see her again ever. The rest of his family, his other sister and brother, have never seen my youngest. In fact when he was born they didn,t even send a congratulations card.

Who have you fallen out with in your family, and how do things stand now? Have you made up or moved on, and no longer have anything to do with them?

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 11:56 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  05 Sep 2008

I tend not to fall out with people tbh, I’m pretty easy going

My sster did fall out with me a couple of months back, but she was just being petty. She falls out with people a lot ad we have all found it’s best just to ignore her and let her get over her mood. We are fine now.

I was tempted to fall out with my brother - I loaned him £550 in March to stop him being evicted…so far he has paid back £50 - then I found out he was away to Benidorm last month! Cheeky lil git. But hey, life’s too short. We shall be having words when I next see him, but no point starting an argument over it.

I’m too blimmin soft, that’s my trouble red face

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 12:37 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  05 Sep 2008
Squeezy - 19 Nov 2008 04:56 PM

I tend not to fall out with people tbh, I’m pretty easy going

My sster did fall out with me a couple of months back, but she was just being petty. She falls out with people a lot ad we have all found it’s best just to ignore her and let her get over her mood. We are fine now.

I was tempted to fall out with my brother - I loaned him £550 in March to stop him being evicted…so far he has paid back £50 - then I found out he was away to Benidorm last month! Cheeky lil git. But hey, life’s too short. We shall be having words when I next see him, but no point starting an argument over it.

I’m too blimmin soft, that’s my trouble red face

Good grief Squeezy you have definately got to have serious words with your brother when you next see him. That,s just not on. Your his sister and he,s taken advantage of that and your good nature. You need to agree a repayment plan with him and make sure he sticks to it. Get it all written down and both sign it. I wish I,d done that.

Let us know how you get on.

Posted: 25 Nov 2008 11:24 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  03 Sep 2008

That’s the thing - people always say never to lend money to friend or family but sometimes we just have to. After all, like in Squeezy’s case, we can’t see our family get thrown out of their homes when we can prevent it. Ah family….

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 12:01 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7235
Joined  27 Mar 2011

I or should I say “they” rather (first cousins on my mum’s side) had a fall out with my brother and I over a family inheritance. They took us to court, lost, had to pay all expenses which only created more agro to the situation - dismissing the ruling and sending us endless letters demanding we pay our share of the costs (hello)... the whole thing was so fool-hardy, but I guess thats what ‘greed’ is all about - turns people into monsters. My daughter still speaks to their siblings, visits occasionally, but we have never reconciled!

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 12:05 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

LMAO… I have only realised this thread goes back to 2008 lol!!!!

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 07:25 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

Besides the obvious… why do they draw up an old thread!!!! Weird….

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 07:50 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  2976
Joined  08 Jan 2010

LOL SG you are priceless…..

I wonder if Souxi and her sister have kissed and made up?

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 08:14 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

HAHAHA… dumbo is more like it .... its the spammers fault - it is, it is hehe - I may have to make that appointment at the optometrist after all lol

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 09:09 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  29 Sep 2010

Hah, wow! It’s a good topic though.

I’m not sure what the situation is really, but me and my dad haven’t spoken for, it must be a year now. Him and my mum were never married, and not long after moving away to start uni (3 years ago) he started seeing other women on the sly and my mum found out. Needless to say she didn’t want to be with him any more. Since this, he’s been with a fair few women, trying to rush relationships (I think he’s too desperate for love) and he’s also admitted to being an alcoholic. He done the best thing and went to AA groups which lasted for a bit. He moved in with his sister who lives alone and stayed there for a while. Bare in mind these are two 45-50 year olds, brother and sister… this got a little annoying for them both because the house wasn’t exactly a mansion. Basically, my dad up and left his sister and more or less moved in with some woman. He didn’t mention any of it to her until she got a text one random night saying he’ll be round to collect the rest of his things.

He’s always been on and off the drink (more on) and his family have always tried to help him out, but he’s kind of gone a step too far.

I feel like I’m caught sometimes. He’s my dad, and at the end of the day I love him and always will. The fact is, I don’t have to like what he does.

It’s a weird one, it really is. A bit sad too.

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 09:34 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Female Forum Royalty
Joined  27 Mar 2011

Very sad Petal… is it your choice that you don’t speak to each other girlie. I believe love for our kin knows no boundaries, so although you may not approve of his lifestyle, loving him is perfectly natural.

Posted: 24 Nov 2011 04:18 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  05 Sep 2008
kamille - 23 Nov 2011 07:50 PM

LOL SG you are priceless…..

I wonder if Souxi and her sister have kissed and made up?

She’s my sister in law, I don’t have a sister, and no we haven’t and I don’t want too either.I don’t know what she’s doing and I don’t care.

Posted: 25 Nov 2011 12:39 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  2976
Joined  08 Jan 2010

Sorry Souxi I misread that, thanks for answering my question.

Posted: 20 Dec 2011 05:28 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Shy
Total Posts:  1
Joined  20 Dec 2011

Hi, My partner and I fell out with my brother in law, who really upset us. It was all over a joke my partner put on Facebook!!! Some things were said between us on FB about it and he then text me and emailed me saying we’d conned him out of money and owed him £400 and that we didnt give a f**k about anyone but ourselves.  For me that was the last straw, as i have put up with this man for 23 years; he beat my sister up when he was first with her and she was pregnant with his child and has been heavy handed with her for years and i hated watching the way he was with his children over the years and he came onto me when he was first with my sister. He also had an affair and they got divorced, then she had him back!  I have never liked his personality, but i have put up with him for 23 years for my sisters sake. After this happened i told my sister i wasn’t having anything to do with him ever again, but that i didnt want it to affect our relationship as sisters.  I then found out about a week later, that my sister and my neices, didnt want to have anything to do with my partner anymore either, because of the joke on FB!!! I was furious that they could treat someone like this over a joke.  So since then my partner and I haven’t spoken to my sister and her family and its been 1 1/2 years now. 
I have hated every minute of this, but i feel so strongly that we should not have been treated like that that i will not be friends with them until they apologise.  I am not interested in an apology from my brother in law, i don’t want anything to do with him ever again, but i would accept an apology from my sister and neices, but i just don’t think that will happen and i am so sad about it.

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: Do you find it hard to say NO?     Next Topic: Your relationship with your parents ››

chat with singles