{embed="inc/top"} {embed="inc/main_nav"}
{embed="/inc/forum-topbnr"}
{!--

register or login

--> --}

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

* Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
* A real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
* Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
* Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky us! Sign in here.

welcoming a change, desensitizing a scary move

Posted: 23 Aug 2015 11:09 PM   Ignore ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  01 Mar 2015

WHen you think of making a career change, do you act petrified or try to embrace it, as a welcome change.

Anyway you try to rationalize it, it can be quite scary and complicated, unless planned just right. It’s comfy if you can stay in the same career field, but sometimes a venture into something different can prove welcome and lucrative.

For example, I know of a very sweet lady who switched from a paralegal career into nursing. She followed her heart and life passion and now feels more rewarded for her choice. Yes, even though she was great at being a paralegal, she never felt happy or satisfied in that job. As a nurse, she felt more of a connection with people and felt like she could make a change and a valuable contribution.

Anybody has a similar heartwarming story of career change that went great?

Posted: 24 Aug 2015 05:21 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2657
Joined  03 Nov 2013

Not exactly, but I started as a clinician, then became a manager of clinicians. I had no clinical input at all really during that period.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I left management and I am now a private clinician two days a week and I like my job again. smile

Mind, I still prefer the other 5 days. smile

Posted: 28 Aug 2015 06:21 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  524
Joined  24 Mar 2015

I would be slightly nervous, but that would only motivate me to go for it! Doing scary things is what makes life exciting and starting a new job is very exciting. I enjoy meeting new people and would love a challenge. I would be supported, anyhow, by my new colleagues. So, if I did make a mistake, it could be corrected. Life is about risk and starting over. A change is as good as the rest!

Posted: 30 Aug 2015 04:14 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  01 Mar 2015
KitKatKitty - 28 Aug 2015 06:21 PM

I would be slightly nervous, but that would only motivate me to go for it! Doing scary things is what makes life exciting and starting a new job is very exciting. I enjoy meeting new people and would love a challenge. I would be supported, anyhow, by my new colleagues. So, if I did make a mistake, it could be corrected. Life is about risk and starting over. A change is as good as the rest!

Wow,, you seem so optimistic! You are so refreshingly clean from realization of life’s little drawbacks. You seem to not have any awareness of consequences of a little oops. I dont know if I should feel envious or strangely drawn to such joie de vie. My guess is that you must have a strong family support. Knowing that tree s a family safety net to catch you, you are more willing to take a risk. Best of wishes.

Posted: 31 Aug 2015 10:41 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2495
Joined  08 May 2010

Well, I do have a story but it’s not technically mine - it’s my hubby’s.

When he went onto the rails we were taking a huge risk and it was really hard. I wasn’t working at the time, and he was on the buses. I’m sure what it’s like elsewhere, but here bus drivers aren’t paid nearly enough (especially as he was a sole earner!), and he was paid weekly. So switching from weekly to monthly was a big risk. Then they refused his last two weeks of wages and we didn’t have the money to make a fuss so we had to let it go - now six weeks without pay. I literally don’t know how I did it, but for five months I had to get in the week’s shop for £25. Max. Most weeks I could afford more than about £20 ,and that including cleaning products, toilet rolls, shampoo, cat food and all that jazz.

On top of that, the training program for new train drivers is really intense, and far more importantly, they don’t always get through. So we were really really hard up, with getting enough food a struggle and Christmas coming, and knowing he might not make it through. His class was pretty lucky though and only one trainee didn’t make it (not counting the lass who got put back until the next year because it turned out she was pregnant and train drivers have to do a lot of manual stuff that isn’t safe past the first trimester). The classes behind him lost 3 and 4 trainees respectively. If he didn’t get through we’d have been up the proverbial creek because I wasn’t fit for work at the time, and he had no back-up.

It was a huge risk. But it paid off and he came out joint-top of his class. He even got advanced (what you might call a promotion of sorts) to mainline after only a year and he’s doing his final exams this week for that (and eye watering 4 x8hrs of exams!). Again, that’s a bit of a risk but he knew he could do it. If he fails he can go back to the depot, but he can’t try for mainline again for like five years (national rules) but at least he would have a job.

Plus he loves his work, and they treat him really well. His managers and union are really good and work really well together so the drivers are all well cared for and happy.

Some risks don’t always work out, but most times you’ve got to try anyway so you can say you did it.

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: creepy job preferences     Next Topic: do you feel satisfied with job compensation? ››

{embed="inc/forum_sponsors"}
{embed="inc/side_banner"}
{embed="inc/footer"}
{!-- --}