{embed="inc/top"} {embed="inc/main_nav"}
{embed="/inc/forum-topbnr"}
{!--

register or login

--> --}

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

* Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
* A real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
* Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
* Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky us! Sign in here.

Would you give up everything and take this opportunity :)

Posted: 22 May 2016 10:45 PM   Ignore ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1290
Joined  06 Sep 2008

Has anyone seen this article in the BBC, £1m Parc Farm on Great Orme up for £1 annual rent ?

Would you give up everything and become a farmer?

“A £1m farm is available to rent for £1 a year providing the tenant is prepared to look after it and its “fragile” landscape - and a lot of sheep.”

To be a farmer takes so much dedication and strive. I have a few friends who are farmers and I value their life dedication to feeding me, my family and many others. We need more people who have that strive.

This offer is tempting. Anyone interested wink

Posted: 23 May 2016 06:14 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  524
Joined  24 Mar 2015

I’m afraid not, but it does sound interesting. I am sure there are many people who will be interested, though! It certainly sounds intriguing.

Posted: 23 May 2016 03:31 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  2657
Joined  03 Nov 2013

ew, all that muck under your fingernails. raspberry

Posted: 23 May 2016 07:03 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  2495
Joined  08 May 2010

haha you girl.

I actually would seriously consider it. I grew up country-style, although I’ve never tended to sheep before. Just watched others doing it while I sat on the wall lol I would want to build my own paddock for chickens though, but since I’ll be doing that anyway once we’ve bought our own house that’s neither here nor there.

No, my biggest problem would be that I married a city boy who has to live within an hour of his depot, and there is no force on the this earth that would make him a, move to the sticks, and b, give up his job. There aint no force in the ‘verse that’d make him do both at the same time!

Posted: 23 May 2016 10:57 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  06 Sep 2008

I have to admit I love living in the country but I also love to be near cities. I’m on a mission to find the perfect small town. I like having activities to do when the weather is dreary.

But for a £1 a year I think I could get over that need? Maybe?

I’ve never tended to sheep before or know anything about it. But I could just get a dog to herd them around for me, right? I’ll just sit back with my pocket full of doggy treats!

Posted: 24 May 2016 07:33 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  03 Nov 2013

Good plan, Kiwi, and if you get a dog with a driving license he can take them to market too.

Posted: 24 May 2016 09:36 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  2495
Joined  08 May 2010

You’d need the rent to be a £1. Give you time to figure out how to make a living!

Also, you need to adequately graze the sheep (that means checking the field to make sure there are no bad plants growing and checking their stool periodically to make sure their tracts are as they should be), checking their hoofs daily, checking their teeth, if you have ewes and are breeding then spraying the males and checking up on the females in heat/ pregnancy. Making sure the grazing paddocks are safe from predators and people and escape alike.

Then you have other considerations; what are you raising them for? Wool, meat, milk or a combination of the above. Each has their own considerations.

For wool their coats have to be growing well and not tangling/ snagging anywhere and have a slightly better diet. The dyes used in breeding are a wee bit counterproductive.

Meat needs to be breeding as much as possible, that means an altered diet to keep the ewes as healthy as possible and it takes time. For example, lamb meat is actually not what you would call lambs. They’re normally around 1.5 years old when sent to the slaughterhouse, mutton is over two years, but generally around 5 (gives them time to be useful for other things, like breeding and wool).

Milk needs lots of breeding too, but you have to prepared to wean the lambs early and feed them yourself to keep the milk from the ewe. This does not always go down well.

Then you need to consider breeds suitable for the way you plan to keep them for and for the habitat they’re living in.

Posted: 25 May 2016 09:50 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  06 Sep 2008

Ok so I just need some dogs and Jamie Oliver, who just was saying,
“Normal night out just hanging out in the pasture checking out the biodiversity of wild grasses, herbs and flowers to make the best grazing pasture for cows. And trying some delicious Swiss cheese, yogurt, sour cream, quark creams and the butter is fabulous very very interesting stuff .....”

I think he is a cutie?

wink

Image Attachments  jamie.jpg
Posted: 23 Jan 2017 06:59 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  327
Joined  18 Jan 2017

Do you there is a town in Italy that you can get a house for 1 euro? The catch is you have to spend an upward of 60k plus ero to fix it.

Posted: 03 Feb 2017 12:22 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  06 Sep 2008

I didn’t know that! Where in Italy is it? I’d say Martin and I could buy it now and eventually retire in Italy but now with Brexit I’m not sure my dream, even if it is a fairy tale, would ever be a reality!

Posted: 07 Mar 2017 10:01 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Jan 2017

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3078943/Buy-house-gorgeous-Italian-countryside-just-1-Village-homes-given-away-stop-blight-ghost-towns-ll-need-promise-18-000-up.html

Here we go Kiwi. I saw them. 18K euro is way understated, it will cost an upward of almost $100K. The houses are practically a mess.

Posted: 07 Mar 2017 11:09 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  03 Nov 2013

That looks awesome, Annie. good find. But are you brave enough? wink

Posted: 08 Mar 2017 12:10 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Jan 2017
acherrystone - 07 Mar 2017 11:09 PM

That looks awesome, Annie. good find. But are you brave enough? wink

Lol Cherry.. I can’t spare $101K. This must be a hobby of some rich people who don’t need to work.

Posted: 08 Mar 2017 01:46 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  06 Sep 2008

Wow I love them all!

If I had the money to spare and a handyman who enjoyed these types of projects. This would be Martin’s worst nightmare!

Also,fixing up a place and living there at the same time isn’t my ideal situation. But it would be fun to be part of some sort of transformation of an old European city!

Posted: 08 Mar 2017 05:06 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Jan 2017
kiwi - 08 Mar 2017 01:46 AM

Wow I love them all!

If I had the money to spare and a handyman who enjoyed these types of projects. This would be Martin’s worst nightmare!

Also,fixing up a place and living there at the same time isn’t my ideal situation. But it would be fun to be part of some sort of transformation of an old European city!

I don’t mind doing the cosmetic works but when it involves infrastructure such as plumbing, electrical works, I am intimidated, I don’t think I can handle them.

Posted: 08 Mar 2017 06:52 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  06 Sep 2008

I don’t know enough about construction to take it on and I rely on Martin for that part. But he hates doing those things even though he is pretty good at it.

I actually wouldn’t mind learning some of those trades.

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: Best waterproof mascara ?     Next Topic: Eco cleaning products ››

{embed="inc/forum_sponsors"}
{embed="inc/side_banner"}
{embed="inc/footer"}
{!-- --}