Welcome!
We are an online community for women.
Click here to join us (it's free)!

Female Forum

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

* Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
* A real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
* Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
* Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky us! Sign in here.

What do you think is more effective in the workplace: Multitasking or singletasking?

Posted: 16 Jun 2016 11:14 PM   Ignore ]  
Shy
Total Posts:  5
Joined  17 May 2016

Personally, I believe “less is more”, but I would love your thoughts on this. Our minds can’t be in two places at once – when we think we are multitasking, we are in fact ‘task switching’. This lowers productivity, weakens the brain, and also diminishes relationships.

Throughout my career, I always thought I was being productive by being a multitasker. In reality, it was actually exhausting and took me longer to accomplish tasks. Instead, I took the time to focus on singletasking. Devora Zack explains perfectly in her article, “Forget multitasking: Here’s why you should focus on singletasking” how to become more effective by just monotasking.

What do you think?

Posted: 17 Jun 2016 09:44 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2647
Joined  03 Nov 2013

I think, as usual, there is a line in between.

So much tripe is written trying to prove that black is better than white, when really we are all prepared to accept that it is the grey in life that keeps it going.

Only fools believe in absolutes.

Posted: 17 Jun 2016 09:58 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1278
Joined  06 Sep 2008

I think it can depend on the company. Some smaller companies can not afford to hire multiply people for multiply positions so you may be hired for a specific position however you may be asked to help out with other tasks like answering the phones.

Posted: 17 Jul 2016 08:13 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  484
Joined  24 Mar 2015

I don’t believe in multitasking: it is much better to do one job and do it properly than do two jobs and making a poor effort. I can’t concentrate on two tasks at once, anyway. I believe if a job is to be done, it must be done properly.

Posted: 17 Oct 2016 12:37 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Valued Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  11 Oct 2016

It does depend where you work. You are certainly noticed if you can turn your hand to more than one skill but it does mean that your employer may take advantage. Best to keep your skill set quiet until you can feel confident that your boss isn’t going to push you too hard.

Posted: 15 Dec 2016 10:47 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  165
Joined  11 Dec 2016

I think it is not too bad working on one major project while having lots of little ones but, with my work recently things have been such that people have been doing many things that they have no training for and the quality of work suffered.

Personally I have found that I work better when I can concentrate (and am not overworked so tired).

I also do not believe in the saying that a little stress is good. I am a thinker and think better when I relax. I can multitask but think I am better without.

Posted: 22 Jan 2017 08:22 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  18 Jan 2017

Your should not multitask unless you know how to do every one of those tasks well, especially when you have to deal with deadline. Also, if you have to, never take on more than one big task at the same time. If you are a manager, you can delegate but if you are at the staff level, you need to be honest with your manager about your ability to handle your work load.

Posted: 09 Feb 2017 02:25 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Breaking the Ice
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  16 Jan 2017

I multi task like crazy and end up not accomplishing anything at all. To stop this, I log in everything I do every minute at work. It was a pain at first and it looks like I didn’t really finish anything, but then I also see what the setbacks are so it was a really good exercise for me.

When there is a real deadline I do finish it but I dilly dally with the others and i easily get distracted with bright and shiny objects (cool software, etc). I know its bad and I try really hard to keep my distraction at a minimum.

Yup I agree that too much multi tasking is not good and you have to somehow control it to some degree.

Posted: 24 Feb 2017 06:14 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  18 Jan 2017

Anyone feels this or just me, my brain is not that productive after 5.

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Post Reply New Topic

Popular Content (Sponsored: These links will take you away from Female Forum)

chat with singles