{embed="inc/top"} {embed="inc/main_nav"}
{embed="/inc/forum-topbnr"}
{!--

register or login

--> --}

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

* Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
* A real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
* Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
* Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky us! Sign in here.

Page 1 of 3.     Go to page:

Viola

Posted: 21 Nov 2016 11:05 AM   Ignore ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2495
Joined  08 May 2010

As the title suggests, I’ve taken up playing the viola.

The old hands may remember I used to be somewhat musical. Before I went deaf I used to play sax, guitar, piano and I sang. Sax got too hard after the plurisy infection, guitar reminded me too strongly of my ex, and it’s hard to play piano without a piano to practise on! I sang right up until the deafness kicked in, and I still do at home, but I can’t properly as I’m not in damn tune any more!

Anywho, I’ve been doing my research and then coming up with excuses for months now, but I took the plunge last week. Violins and Violas are very popular in the musical deaf community because a) they’re loud, b) they’re loud right next to your ear, and c) they vibrate so much right under your chin.

I rented rather than bought one to give me a chance to see if I can get to grips with it but so far so good. It took a little while to find a teacher who would take me. I got told by several private tutors that they wouldn’t take me as I’m deaf and apparently it’s impossible to learn to play either one if you’re deaf.

Something the gentleman in the music shop who fitted me thought was hilarious, and something my teacher (who I was very excited to get) thought was stupid. She did admit in my first class that she was a little concerned about how to teach me, but that first class clearly proved I was up to the task. She quickly got excited that I was learning quickly. I tried to explain how I figure it out, that I do get most of the sound with my HAs music programme I just can’t differentiate between one sound and another, but the vibrations are very different. It was strange to explain how I can tell I play a bum note because the vibration is wrong!

Next week I’ll be working on my first finger (putting my fingers on the strings to play different notes) and we’ve decided to use a variety of tiny coloured sticky dots for all the notes until I’m confident I’ve learned the muscle memory for all of them. Normally she’d just do it for the first finger as a strip and then students would learn the rest themselves but seeing as how I can’t hear the difference and haven’t learned the vibration yet…

I’ll send pics as I go along smile

Do any of you play an instrument?

Posted: 22 Nov 2016 10:54 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Valued Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  11 Oct 2016

Wow - well done you. Looking forward to hearing how you go along.

The last time I played a musical instrument was at school and that was the recorder! I wasn’t very good at it either so I admire anyone who has the talent to play anything.

Posted: 29 Nov 2016 09:47 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  524
Joined  24 Mar 2015

Good on you! I played the guitar as a teenager for a few years, but wasn’t musically gifted, unfortunately. Still, I enjoyed music for a while. I think that you’re right not to let being deaf stop you playing. Plenty of musicians and artists have disabilities. Good luck with it!

Posted: 30 Nov 2016 11:15 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  08 May 2010

Cheers ladies smile

Still loving it. First finger is going well, but my next class won’t be for a fortnight as I won’t be there this Friday (going away to Hamburg!)

Posted: 05 Dec 2016 10:10 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  987
Joined  19 Jan 2013

Good on you Papi
I had a couple of piano lessons as a kid but gave it away & have regretted it big time since i was about 19

Posted: 07 Dec 2016 11:17 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  1290
Joined  06 Sep 2008

Wow, that is terrific!

It has been a long time since I played an instrument. I used to play bass clarinet in high school and loved it.

Music is a wonderful hobby. I have thought about getting back into it a few times. Just haven’t found the right opportunity to do so.

A trip to Hamburg sounds great, please share details? What will you be up to?

Posted: 08 Dec 2016 09:28 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  24 Mar 2015

I hope Hamburg has gone well! We need all the juicy details.

Posted: 09 Dec 2016 07:20 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  08 May 2010

lol it’s never too late to learn Lauren. You get people of all ages at my school - in fact right after my lesson, there’s a lady I pass in the hallway who’s just taken up Violin who is easily in her 60’s.

The difficult bit of learning any new instrument is learning to read music, but that’s really just practice, practice, practice.

Erm Hamburg was very very cold but lovely. It was the Christmas markets we went for. The first day was just the market, and the second was the market in the morning and the miniature railway museum in the afternoon. It’s actually a lot cooler than it sounds. Fred can watch the trains and I can look at all the tiny tiny people and all the stupid and vaguely naughty things they get up to lol

The train was ridiculously delayed on the way there though so we missed all of our connections making a 10 hour journey into an 18 hour one!

Viola is still going really well. I’ve started 2nd and 3rd finger placements for the D and A strings (the closest to the bottom edge). It’s a lot to practice for next week but I’m pretty confident in my ability to learn it.

Posted: 09 Dec 2016 09:06 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  2657
Joined  03 Nov 2013

Good for you, pap, you don’t let the grass grow under, fo you? LOL

The only music I can play is the radio. raspberry

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 08:45 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  24 Mar 2015

In my dream world I’d read and compose music. Being able to do this must be wonderful. One can dream. Still, I make do with my creative writing. I do love writing. I have written a number of short stories and many poems. I am an artist at heart.

Posted: 15 Dec 2016 03:14 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  08 May 2010

Music theory is simple enough when you’re taught how to read it, and most music schools here in the UK are happy to teach just theory without an instrument. Something to think about Kitty wink

Hell no I don’t let it grow. To be fair, things have been somewhat difficult for me recently, and playing the Viola does let me lose some of that tension. I find I set out to practise for half an hour and I’ve accidentally played for an hour and a half instead! Plenty of practise means plenty of development!!

Posted: 15 Dec 2016 04:14 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Fully Addicted
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  24 Mar 2015

It certainly does take practice. And it’ll definitely be worth it! Oh: I shall keep learning music theory in mind. Music is wonderful.

Posted: 12 Jan 2017 02:51 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  08 May 2010

Well I’ve reached the 10 week mark. My first, second and third finger have developed serious callouses and I’m sure my fourth will follow suit soon as I’m being instructed to re-learn everything using my fourth finger rather than no fingers.

Basically |||| four strings. In order, they’re C, G, D, A. If I put down all four fingers on the D string (for argument’s sake) it will make an A, just like if I played the A string with no fingers.

Any who, it definitely means I’m building up strength in my poor abused fingers and shoulders! I have a slightly larger than average viola to fit my long arms, but tiny hands so I really have to reeeeach with my left shoulder (the one under the viola) to get my fingers into place.

I also uploaded my 3 four week videos, and the eight week live (fb) video onto youtube so you can see how I’m doing smile Yes, I’m very aware that with my eight week video I was a bit bollocking myself. Mixture of performance anxiety and self-bollocking. I did get told for it by pretty much everyone on my fb!

I’ve set up a link to the first video here, and from there if you click on my name you can get to the rest of my videos…hopefully!

Posted: 13 Jan 2017 09:14 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  11 Dec 2016

I am listening as I reply - Coming along brilliant.

You are doing far better than I would. I used to play the guitar but have not touched them for some years although I still have them; Both acoustic and electric. I found that I was disillusioned by the lack of good words from my family so took up art instead as it is easier to look at my work and be proud even if others hate it!

I look at you playing and still think fondly so maybe? With my many hobbies it would be a squeeze though. My reading ability is very slow so I cannot read and play at the same time but I used to write quite a bit so limited the problem. It must be a big advantage for you though!

Posted: 16 Jan 2017 08:03 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Community Superstar
Total Posts:  2657
Joined  03 Nov 2013

Good for you papi, you never sit back and wait. You always go for it. smile

Respect!

Posted: 22 Jan 2017 08:37 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  327
Joined  18 Jan 2017

I have been playing classical piano since I was 6 until my sophomore year in college. I also picked up violin for 3 years 10 years ago.

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Page 1 of 3.     Go to page:
Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: What are you baking lately?     Next Topic: Poetry ››

{embed="inc/forum_sponsors"}
{embed="inc/side_banner"}
{embed="inc/footer"}
{!-- --}