Welcome!
We are an online community for women.
Click here to join us (it's free)!

Female Forum

holiday swimwear

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Become a member of Female Forum today! Real testimonials from other members:

* Everyone is treated equally and accepted for who they are - Chatterbox
* A real community that welcomes everyone and respects everyone's opinion - Flutterby
* Female Forum is just like one big happy family that I’m proud to be a part of - Souxi
* Theres no nastiness. Female Forum is just a nice place to come for a chat. You seem to be respected more on here and people get to know your personality - Cat

Click here to join now - it's free! Already a member? Lucky us! Sign in here.

How to deal with Stress in a healthy way?

Posted: 14 Mar 2017 04:39 PM   Ignore ]  
Shy
Total Posts:  5
Joined  13 Mar 2017

I’ve been hit with a lot the last few months and even though I don’t think im stressed my body is telling another story.  In January my little sister (17 yrs old) was diagnosed with cancer, it has caused a lot of tension with the family. And my go-to to relieve my stress is “FOOD”.  Ill exercise for a little and then I give up and rather be lazy.  And Im so not happy with how I look or feel anymore.

Should I make an appointment with my PCP and discuss this with them?  And the grays whoa have they shown up! Im really not sure if this is something that is medical or if I found a healthier outlet I can resolve this on my own? any pointers?

Posted: 14 Mar 2017 05:00 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Community Superstar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1199
Joined  06 Sep 2008

I’m so sorry to hear about your sister. Sending lots of hugs.

I’d see a doctor although I am always nervous to go that route myself because I am not always willing to open up to a stranger. Do you think something is holding you back from going?

Perhaps, it is not wanting to be treated with medication you mentioned before? How about trying a holistic doctor. It could be a vitamin deficiency that is making you feel lathargic or a number of other things but always best to try a trained professional like you said.

When I was pregnant I was always worried about taking drugs to treat back pain and any of the other not so wonderful parts about being pregnant. I found an accupunturist who also used massage she was a holistic doctor so many years or training and experience. I’d go in feeling awful and come out feeling a lot better. She asked a lot of questions about how I ate to activities I did during the day. I didn’t feel pressured that I was going to answer the question wrongly or that she will write me a prescription for something I didn’t want to take.

I go through phases of being lazy and unhealthy you are not alone. I hope you feel better soon.

Where in the world are you? I live in Oregon USA.

Posted: 14 Mar 2017 06:20 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Shy
Total Posts:  5
Joined  13 Mar 2017

We meet again Kiwi smile Im in Colorado.

Its felt like this on again off again battle the last few months, I have this want to do better but not drive. I saw my PCP before about it and the put me on this medication that would help with weight loss and if I kept feeling the way I did I could have blood work done. Thats why Doctors make me super iffy.

I just wish I could break this vicious cycle.

Posted: 14 Mar 2017 08:33 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  18 Jan 2017
Bean8630 - 14 Mar 2017 04:39 PM

I’ve been hit with a lot the last few months and even though I don’t think im stressed my body is telling another story.  In January my little sister (17 yrs old) was diagnosed with cancer, it has caused a lot of tension with the family. And my go-to to relieve my stress is “FOOD”.  Ill exercise for a little and then I give up and rather be lazy.  And Im so not happy with how I look or feel anymore.

Should I make an appointment with my PCP and discuss this with them?  And the grays whoa have they shown up! Im really not sure if this is something that is medical or if I found a healthier outlet I can resolve this on my own? any pointers?

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I hope she is in the early stage and all will work out well with her.
Food is always the easiest therapy so I can see what you have been through. Definitely you need to get help and the PCP might be where to start.

Posted: 15 Mar 2017 04:43 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  06 Sep 2008

I’m a big believer in eating healthy as our natural medicine but that can only go so far if there is an unbalanced. Might be caused from high stress, depression, anxiety etc.

Maybe ask around locally to get a recommendation for another practitioner who won’t just quickly write a prescription or look up a holistic doctor?

Our winters can wear us all down here in Oregon from the lack of sunshine so it might be worth making sure you are getting enough vitamin D.

I’ve just started adding nutritional yeast (loaded with vitamin B can help with feeling lethargic) to my food. I use it instead of cheese and it’s not bad!

Lastly, I find that sometimes it helps to have a buddy, someone to work out with or meet up with for walks. I can lack motivation to do it on my own but when teamed up with a friend to make a plan, I HAVE to do it!

How are things lately with your family?

Posted: 15 Mar 2017 08:52 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Valued Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  11 Dec 2016

Hi

I’m sorry to hear things aren’t going too well! I hope things workout with your sister.

I spent some time myself with rapid rising stress and various family health issues around me. It is difficult to break out but I think I have moved quite a way. As yet I have not managed to shift all the put on weight but I find that my morning exercise which I do between making and eating my breakfast has really helped.I have a pretty set routine and tell myself that it WILL help and does not take long (25 minutes). I put it together. No following this or that latest fad, just work!  It has made me feel fitter and improved my circulation such that my skin looks visibly better (fewer blemishes). On top of that, I have a very varied diet with lots of fruit, veg, seeds, herbs and spices. I do eat meat but far less than I used to, and very little fast food.

Kiwi’s idea of a buddy is really good , as will take your mind off things as well as help with ideas and exercise.

Posted: 15 Mar 2017 04:06 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Jan 2017

During the days, sometime I feel stressful so I would pick one of the conference rooms, turn off the light, spread out a little yoga mat and lay down on my back with my legs up against the wall.  Close your eyes and stay in that position for 10-15 minutes.

Posted: 15 Mar 2017 08:50 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Getting Addicted
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  394
Joined  24 Mar 2015

I am sorry to hear about your sister. You’ve been given such great advice already but I release stress by going out walking. I especially love walking out at night, often in the summer.

Anyhow, talking to your doctor is something that will benefit in the long run. But I do know how you feel: I have had a million blood tests over the years and it doesn’t get any more fun. But I do so because it is worth the discomfort. I don’t mean to sound condescending, but it is true.

I hope things get better for you and your sister and your family.

Posted: 16 Mar 2017 09:53 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Frequent Poster
RankRankRankRank
Joined  18 Jan 2017

I think a hot bath is also a good way to release your stress. Fill the tub with hot water, with your favorite book, or music and your favorite drink. It works for me.

Posted: 22 Mar 2017 05:31 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Shy
Total Posts:  2
Joined  06 Feb 2017

I have always been a big believer in exercise for stress, sometimes I think it might be the uninterrupted “me” time you get, but it does always make me feel better.

Lately I have been practicing some yoga poses and forcing myself to slowly breathe through them, they seem to work wonders!

Posted: 22 Mar 2017 11:28 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  06 Sep 2008
talktime - 22 Mar 2017 05:31 PM

I have always been a big believer in exercise for stress, sometimes I think it might be the uninterrupted “me” time you get, but it does always make me feel better.

Lately I have been practicing some yoga poses and forcing myself to slowly breathe through them, they seem to work wonders!

That sounds like fun! I used to do a Pilates video at home that I really enjoy but would be interested in learning some regular Pilate poses. Any advice like do you use a website or YouTube?

Posted: 22 Mar 2017 11:30 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Community Superstar
Joined  06 Sep 2008
annelee - 16 Mar 2017 09:53 PM

I think a hot bath is also a good way to release your stress. Fill the tub with hot water, with your favorite book, or music and your favorite drink. It works for me.

That sounds lovely Annie, I am intrigued what do you drink in the bath? Wine wink that would be my favorite drink for the bath! ha!

We'd love to see you get involved in this conversation. Click here to join Female Forum and share your wisdom today!

Post Reply New Topic

‹‹ Previous Topic: Quasense - Birth Control Question     Next Topic: Easy recipe ››

Popular Content (Sponsored: These links will take you away from Female Forum)

chat with singles