A Happy Person Is Probably Not On Facebook, Right?

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat A Happy Person Is Probably Not On Facebook, Right?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Facebook has come more of an addiction for me (and most likely a lot of people!) over the years and I am not enjoying using it anymore, I find its taking away too much of my free time away, when I could be reading a book or learning something new. Social media can be used for so many positive reasons but I am now limiting myself to Instagram to show the positive changes, life without Facebook but also being realistic we are l<span class=”text_exposed_show”>eading the future generation (like our kids!) to believe we all have perfect filtered lives which obviously isn’t true!</span>

We had social lives before Facebook. Facebook has this horrible habit of sucking people in, is it just me or is it getting to the point now where there is too much drama, bullshit and fake people?

All our spare time is being spent scrolling aimlessly at Facebook, when we could be putting all that spare time into reading books, going for walks, learning a new hobby and just living in the moment instead of glued to our smartphones, surely?

one week off facebook and my views:

I no longer have the energy for meaningless friendships, forced interactions or unnecessary conversations.

I’ve taken a whole week off the site and in that week no one has bothered to get in touch, just logged on now, and nothing! I was doing this experiment, to see who would actually bother, because for me, I struggle sometimes with having anxiety and depression it can do that to you!

If I can do one week, then surely I can do 30 days!

Anyone else ever had a break from Facebook before and if so, how have you found it?

Well I’m a happy person and I have never been on facebook, instagram, twitter or any other mind-sucking social media. I have friends, we talk, we coffee clatsch, I go to the neighborhood pub and regularily attend the symphony, the opera and various clubs. So you see, it is perfectly possible to have  an engaging life without any social media- excepting perhaps this website. And I could certainly do without it.

Yeah well when you don’t drive and are a little isolated, they can be a bonus, to stay in touch with friends from back home, look I was only posting about it, why do I feel like this is the second post you have had a go at me

@ NR070315 I def think you have a point. I also believe in some ways social media has caused us to become unhappy and a lot more people have developed depression and anxiety in the last several years because with facebook and other sites we compare ourselves to other people so much (especially women!) I also have an addiction with facebook, even though I could go a week or longer without posting anything, I still login and look at my acct and newsfeed, multiple times during the day. Even at work, they let us search anywhere on the computer, so it’s one of the first things I do out of habit in the mornings at work.

I’ve  deactivated my facebook page for about a week or so a few years ago, but it keeps other apps I have from working. That’s the only way I’ll stay off it though is if its deactivated. And I agree all this time I spend online and on social media I could be reading a book or working out more. Longing to read a book I could have been done with a long time ago! However, I’m trying to do instagram and an app called Lyf more where you can vent on there and no one really knows you. But the same goes for instagram, snapchat, other sites and apps I’m obsessed with it takes up so much of my time.

I’m cheering you on to make it to 30 days! 🙂

1 member liked this post:

@ NR070315 I def think you have a point. I also believe in some ways social media has caused us to become unhappy and a lot more people have developed depression and anxiety in the last several years because with facebook and other sites we compare ourselves to other people so much (especially women!) I also have an addiction with facebook, even though I could go a week or longer without posting anything, I still login and look at my acct and newsfeed, multiple times during the day. Even at work, they let us search anywhere on the computer, so it’s one of the first things I do out of habit in the mornings at work. I’ve deactivated my facebook page for about a week or so a few years ago, but it keeps other apps I have from working. That’s the only way I’ll stay off it though is if its deactivated. And I agree all this time I spend online and on social media I could be reading a book or working out more. Longing to read a book I could have been done with a long time ago! However, I’m trying to do instagram and an app called Lyf more where you can vent on there and no one really knows you. But the same goes for instagram, snapchat, other sites and apps I’m obsessed with it takes up so much of my time. I’m cheering you on to make it to 30 days! 🙂

Thank you!

I mean, you have all these people out there, that are like, well get out there, go out for coffee with friends, go to the cinema, library, go shopping etc, which is all good and dandy however when you have three small children, the only way of transport to do these things (while living in a rural area) is a bus and it’s £7.30 return for an adult and £4.20 return per child, so overall that’s £19.90 before you have even got to places etc.

Plus I found it easier to stay in touch with my friends on social media (as my friends are darted around the country), but at times it can be rather depressing as you stated about people comparing what they do etc and yes it can get you down, hence why I decided to come off.  Plus I don’t have any friends offline local.

2 users liked this post:

Well I’m sorry NRO70315- I didn’t mean to provoke you. Its just that on this website we are pretty frank with each other. That’s a good thing really- it means you can always count on an honest opinion from us. Same with my post on your child’s name badge. I didn’t mean to hurt you- just expressing my honest opinion.

I’ve heard about studies that link Facebook use and depression because everybody posts only the great things in their lives and rarely about their anguish.

It amazes me to see a group of people at a restaurant or any other social venue with their noses buried in their phones. I’ve even seen pedestrians nearly run over because they weren’t paying attention to their surroundings.

My husband and I like to keep our internet footprint as small as possible.  He recently went to his high school reunion, where a few of his friends said that they couldn’t find him anywhere.  His response?  “That’s by design.”

My Facebook account and my smart phone have never met. In fact, my Facebook account and smart phone have yet to meet ANY of my other accounts…and they never will.

I have no interest in being on an electronic leash. Unless I’m on call or taking pictures, the phone stays in the car.  I’m free to live in the moment, and I’m happy about it.

I think it’s a little of horses for courses. I do use the computer quite a bit, but have never owned a smartphone and, at least at the moment, I am not the slightest bit interested. Although I do own a mobile phone (ancient) it is seldom on. I carry it more for safety than anything else. It’s nice to be able to go out and see the world, rather than be a slave to technology!

Well I’m sorry NRO70315- I didn’t mean to provoke you. Its just that on this website we are pretty frank with each other. That’s a good thing really- it means you can always count on an honest opinion from us. Same with my post on your child’s name badge. I didn’t mean to hurt you- just expressing my honest opinion.

I see how frank people are on here, I too apologise, but I think it’s just my anxiety that gets to me on personal topics you know! I think my problem is, I have been sh*tted on way too many times from so called friends and I handle things the wrong way sometimes.

Well you will find friends here I’m sure.

I have to say, I enjoy using Facebook and social media in general. However, I do agree that there is life beyond a computer. I love reading books and I love going to my social clubs every week. I wouldn’t miss going to my clubs just to use the computer. There is definitely more to life than social media. There are so many things to do: like going out for coffee or walking in the woods.

I think finding a balance between the real world and social media is key: you don’t have to have either/or. There is room for both.

A good post!

So girls, I too enjoy my clubs which include the book club, wine tasting club, and seasonally, the garden club. how about you girls- where do you hob knob ?

It’s mainly revolves around the art group for me.

This discussion reminded me of a commercial from a few years back:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7VtH/toyota-venza-facebook-friends

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  TestDummyCO.

I think the key to remember is, our own lives are different from others, and greater than others in our own ways.

Never give in to envy it is so toxic.  Remind yourself of your own greatness and your own uniqueness.  I bet out there in the great vast world of facebook somebody somewhere is envious of you, or me or everyone of us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!