Adult Coloring Book Art

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Hobbies & Leisure Adult Coloring Book Art

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Swansoda 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Does anyone here engage Adult Coloring Book Art?

What kind of designs do you like to use and what do you prefer to use to create them (Watercolors, Pastels, Markers, Cplored Pencils, Crayons)?

Does anyone have any tips on where to find good deals, either in the US or elsewhere that they would like to share? I have several books from discount stores, but sometimes the designs are a little stale.

I’m attaching a few examples of my own work. I have friends who make their stuff look like stuff they created themselves but i draw like a 5 year old. But i love ut because it is peaceful and calming and i get to pick colors i like and that I think fit.

Attached files

Yeah I have one.

I prefer geometric patterns to other patterns or actual pictures. I like doing different colours and making secondary patterns with the colour.

Yeah I have one.

I prefer geometric patterns to other patterns or actual pictures. I like doing different colours and making secondary patterns with the colour.

I like to experiment with colors., not necessarily go with the grain. I have two friends that do intricate geometric designs in good quality markers and they look so pretty. Right now, I am working with a book that lends itself more to colored pencils or crayons, depending on the pattern. One bit of advice about posting: My friends say, if possible you should always photograph, not scan your works. If you use tracing pencils or regular pencils they won’t show up during the scanning process, and when using colored pencils and lighter shades of crayon, sometimes the colors do not register.

[strong]I used different colors on some of the bears and some I made solid to break up the overlapping pattern[/strong].

[strong]On the horse, anyplace where it looks white is a place where I shaded light blue and it did not show up well. There are also a few areas I colored orange that look brown like on the muzzle. Sometimes the printers use loud patterns in black and white and that too can affect the color in the end.[/strong]

Attached files

Adult colouring books are incredibly popular these days, aren’t they? It makes art so much more accessible for adults who may not want to do conventional drawing and painting. Anyhow, I was given such a book at Christmas. It is pretty cool. Have lots of fun with it!

Oh, I absolutely love them. What’s a great idea. I have a few at home and at work too. Very therapeutic.

I am more into painting and drawing than using colouring books but I would like to pass on one tip.

One trick I use is to display the photograph I am attempting to draw or paint on the computer monitor. With today’s flat screen monitors, if care is taken, it is easily possible to use the monitor as a light box and trace the outlines in a photograph. That way it is much easier to copy a photo, of say, a family member or anything else and produce a recognisable coloured copy even if you are not very experienced. The ability to vary the contrast or brightness of the screen or enhance the photograph is useful but not essential. It really depends on the thickness of your paper but be careful to use a soft pencil, or otherwise be gentle, so as not to mark the screen

That is a great trick Jen! Thank you for sharing.

I would love if you could share some of your artwork 🙂

It is on my list of things to do and I remember saying I could use something as my avatar.

Thank you for the prompt Kiwi 🙂

My SO does them a bit, I could kick her for it, for she is great at art, but never does it free hand.

I would also like to see some of your artwork, SpinningJen. I have a close male friend who is also a painter. It’s a great skill to have.

Ladies, I found really wonderful adult coloring books at discount stores like Marshall, TJ Max, Ross and Cost Plus, World Import.

Yeah I have one.

I like to experiment with colors., not necessarily go with the grain. I have two friends that do intricate geometric designs in good quality markers and they look so pretty. Right now, I am working with a book that lends itself more to colored pencils or crayons, depending on the pattern. One bit of advice about posting: My friends say, if possible you should always photograph, not scan your works. If you use tracing pencils or regular pencils they won’t show up during the scanning process, and when using colored pencils and lighter shades of crayon, sometimes the colors do not register.

[strong]I used different colors on some of the bears and some I made solid to break up the overlapping pattern[/strong].

[strong]On the horse, anyplace where it looks white is a place where I shaded light blue and it did not show up well. There are also a few areas I colored orange that look brown like on the muzzle. Sometimes the printers use loud patterns in black and white and that too can affect the color in the end.[/strong]

I love the horse picture!

That is a great trick Jen! Thank you for sharing.

I would love if you could share some of your artwork 🙂

I have finally got round to sorting my Avatar. It is part of my favourite painting, from a location closeby (and no it is not a self portrait LOL).

I have also got some of my drawings which I will upload in the next few days.

Jen, That looks like a photograph or a scene from a movie! It is gorgeous.

You will have to share the full painting, please!

So lovely thank you for posting 🙂

You will have to share the full painting, please!

Thank you Kiwi 🙂

I have opened a new topic which includes the full painting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!