advice on a new diet

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Health & Diet advice on a new diet

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Schala 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I train at the gym three times a week but I am not losing weight fast enough, my personal trainer said that I should go on a paleo/keto diet as it is a fast way to lose weight. Have any other women here tried this? What were the results?

First off the diets you mentioned are not one in the same. The Keto diet is a diet that focuses on changing the three macronutrients(fat, carbs, and protein). Basically eliminating different things from those food areas. As for the Paleo Diet it is more about your food choices. You eliminate dairy, grains, and processed foods, but balance the fats, carbs, and proteins any way you want. Good luck. The main thing with the Paleo diet is eliminating processed foods.

Changing diets won’t make a difference… what you need to maintain is a calorie deficit. If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. Focus on eating unprocessed foods (vegetables, fruits, lean meat, fish, wholewheat carbs, etc) and you will lose weight. Weight loss isn’t a race, there isn’t such a thing as “losing fats enough”, everyone is different. Some people lose a lot of weight quickly, others take more time. As long as you are improving your diet and fitness, that’s all that matters.

I would recommend keeping a food diary, this way you can keep track of what you eat, your portions and change what needs changing. I personally use an app called Yazio (https://www.yazio.com/en) which counts my daily calories. It also offers a wide variety of healthy recipes which is great 🙂

From what I understand losing weight slowly is better than losing it fast. I am no expert but I suspect fast loss is not good as the body cannot adjust fast enough to the lower weight. You may end up with imbalances, fatigue and all manner of other issues. I would agree with good fruit and veg rather than ready meals. I am not sure about red meat, but quality food has got to be better, and proteins are essential for muscle tone.

2 users liked this post:

I second SpinningJen: slow is best. Boring but true. For weight to stay off, it has to come off slowly. Yes, there are millions of diet pills, diets, meal replacements, etc. But the weight just comes back on again. Plus, you need food for your body to work and do all its processes correctly. Not to be gruesome but your blood needs food to give you energy to live. I would advise exercise rather than lack of food. Much better muscle tone and strength than a tiny body. At least, that is what I would choose for myself.

I read something from Jillian Michaels where she said to avoid things like the Keto and Paleo diets, because they can really harm your body.  You need fats, proteins, carbohydrates, and such, you just need to make healthy choices.

My doctor told me (and I’ve read things online) that exercise doesn’t really help you lose weight, and sometimes can even be counterproductive.  Your calories burned from exercise are inconsequential compared to how much you burn just from your body’s metabolism, and often when we exercise we feel entitled to eat more, which can make you gain weight.

You only really lose weight by reducing your calories, eating healthier and more natural foods is always good!  Like others have said, one big thing is eating whole wheat bread as much as you can instead of processed breads.  You can get good fats from things like avocados, and basically power salads are always good (but be careful about dressing!)

2 users liked this post:

I was a bit of a gannet yesterday: I ate a few angel slices. I don’t know why, but I felt like eating cake, so wandered down to the shops. I should not be eating cake, but I could not help myself. I also have a weakness for cheesecake. I occasionally buy the mini versions. Again, I cannot help myself.

Story of my life!

1 member liked this post:

Awwww, so sorry Kitty!  I’m pretty good about avoiding buying sweets, my problem is if I have it I’ll eat it, lol.

My problem too is I absolutely LOVE baking, and then I don’t know what to do with my creations but eat them (I can’t let them go bad, right?)

Mamie makes some good points in her post.

I think people mistake being slim and being healthy.

If you want to be slim just eat less.

If you want to be healthy eat well , move more and make the right choices.

I have an autoimmune disease called Graves its affected my thyriod and I had radiation treatment. Now I rely on medication to replace thryoid function. With the Graves and the treatment came weight gain. Ordinary diets wont help but by making good choices ( most of the time) and by walking a lot I have maintained my weight for the past 10 years. Its still more than I want it to be but when having a physical it turned out that my blood sugar levels , my BP and my cholesterol were all way better than normal for someone my age.

So I might not be the perfect size 10 but on the inside my body is saying that Im making good choices.

Being skinny is great but being healthy is much better in the long term.

2 users liked this post:

I feel bad for you, cassandra. I know that is awfully weak, but I can’t think of what else to write.

I agree with you: healthy is better than slim. It’s like if someone were a size 6 and a heavy smoker, then they’re unhealthy. But say a person is a size 16 but never smokes, then they’re more healthy. Smaller does not always equal more healthy.

Back to losing weight: I am not an expert, but maybe exercise doesn’t help someone lose weight. I can’t say differently to Mamie. If a doctor says something, then it must be true. Eating less is key to getting slimmer. OK, obvious.

I don’t know what else to write, but if I had more knowledge, I’d sell millions of my own diet book. LOL.

I am sorry to hear that Cassandra, but as long as things are well under control, that is the main thing.

My experience at the moment is that the walks out in the countryside I have been taking continouously since Christmas are having an effect. Although I have not noticeably or actively changed my diet my weight is hovering around half a stone less than it was before Christmas. I think it may be as much an improved frame of mind hence less comfort eating as exercise working off the weight.

Whatever is happening, I do feel better for it.

Thankyou  @kitkatkitty and @spinningjen  Im now accepting of my body the way it is but it was hard. I had to say goodbye to all my clothes soon after the treatment as I was forced to accept I would never fit into them again.

One of the nicest things that ever happened was at the very worst time, I was huge (to my way of thinking) and I was walking around in my nightshirt, my husband suddenly asked me to walk down the room again,, I did it thinking he had noticed something wrong and then he stood up gave me a hug and said ‘oh my gosh you are just so damn sexy’.

True or not the support was more than welcome.

Plus as I say my BP sugar and cholesterol are absolutely great I hardly drink and I dont smoke , I dont binge on soda or fried foods and take away stuff I do like chocolate now and then. Its something I try to save for the weekend which keeps weekends special.

When my children were small we had something called fat Saturday.  They never had any sweets or chocolate or fried foods  during the week so on Saturday the children had pocket money and were allowed to buy a small amount of sweets and they could choose what we ate for dinner. Thier choices were surprising including curry or pasta dishes, not at all what you might expect and on Saturday evening they each had a small bowl of crisps (potato chips) or nuts to eat while watching tv.

They have carried these eating habits on into adult life and are all  healthy and of good weight although they all enjoy a takeaway or some chocolate at times but they learned to eat in moderation and thats the key.

@spinningjen I think the point you make about frame of mind is so true , forest bathing is the newest hype so you are bound to see more people in the woods than normal but anything that puts you in a peaceful happy frame of mind is bound to help ,,, as long as its not eating stacks of fatty food!!!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  cassandra.
    2 users liked this post:

Funnily enough, I bought myself a small pack of peanuts to enjoy. The next morning, I woke up on the sofa, peanuts all over the floor. I had obviously tried eating them in my sleep and dropped them. I was really looking forward to eating them, too! On the bright side, it meant less calories. LOL.

Back to what I don’t eat: I avoid crisps, sausage rolls, fry-ups, only go to McDonald’s seldom. I don’t overeat at all. However, I do have an addiction to candy bars. I LOVE them. And can’t stop buying them. They are like deliciousness in your mouth and really satisfy sugar cravings. I’ve tried going without, but it doesn’t work.

I am addicted.

I rarely eat sweets, and I no longer eat any type of meat (I’ve found plenty of protein alternatives) I find fresh fruit can really satisfy my junk food cravings.  James likes going to McDonalds, and I’ve found their Southwest Salad is amazing!  I get it with the belsamic dressing, so it’s low calorie and very good 🙂

I love fresh fruit too! I can eat my five a day in just one sitting. I think, as it is sweet, I have a lot of sugar from it but I do rarely eat sweets. Luckily they keep well as I have some hot gums  my son gave me that have been in the fridge for a couple of years. I forget they are there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!