Home » Topics » General Discussion » General Chat » Amazon: Hacking Beware

Amazon: Hacking Beware

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Someone from far away in the world tried to hack my Amazon account. I changed my password two times in 10 minutes. I am not going to login again for a good few hours, so they can’t clone my account with Amazon.

Basically, do be aware of hackers and use a strong password. This applies to other online businesses and forums and the suchlike. I caught the warning early, so the hackers now can’t take my details or anything like that. They would also have needed my mobile phone number and email account password. These criminals have a lot of tricks up their sleeves. So, my advice:

1. Use a strong password for your Internet sites
    2. Use a difficult to guess email password
    3. Change your email password when warned of hackers from Internet sites
    4. Don’t share your mobile number with ANYONE AT ALL online: that is another hacker’s trick
    5. When you change your Internet site password, don’t login for a good one or two hours. This is so the hacker’s can’t clone your account
    6. Keep your bank details private and don’t share with anyone online
    7. Try to use PayPal as often as possible: this is a much safer way to pay when trading and buying online

I do hope I’ve helped!

They are busy at the moment Kitty. Christmas is probably one of their busiest times of year too.

One extra point I would make to your list is to be wary of any noticeable difference in the behaviour of a website or your computer.

Thank you, SpinningJen. If there is odd activity on my computer, I will check it out. I do run virus scans and the suchlike, anyway. I do worry about a hacker cloning my computer. I don’t know if that is possible, but it is certainly a worrying thought. Plus, there are scams to be so wary of: if it looks too good to be true, it IS too good to be true. Thankfully my book publishers were – and are – the real deal. I could’ve easily been dealing with cyber criminals. I am grateful I chose the two publishers I did. Because Lulu.com and United P.C definitely have not ripped me off or anything. In fact, Lulu.com doesn’t require any payment to have books put into print and sold. It’s pretty great.

I think anyone reading this should definitely THINK before signing up for a website. And even with legitimate websites users should run trackers and virus scans. Cybercrime is very real and has to be prevented with all the aids you can get your hands on. It does cost money BUT will save being scammed in the long-run.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!