Ancestry, Genealogy, and/or DNA

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Hobbies & Leisure Ancestry, Genealogy, and/or DNA

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  acherrystone 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

6/24/17

Dear Everyone both on/ff of here,

I mean have you and/or members of family ever looked further into your Ancestry, Genealogy, and DNA.

Since thats appears to be somewhat the case either in and/or both ancient and eastern worlds.  As opposed to somewhat the case either in and/both ancient western worlds.

Well, I for one I still really love to look further into my family’s Ancestry, Genealogy, and DNA.  Have to say that I can’t even remember when I even started to think about all of this.  AKA after the internet came about.  Of course both of my parents sides of the family.  Even through I sorta remember someones on my mother’s father side of the family looked into.  At the same time I think thats how it found about the rest of the family.  Tried to do my DNA testing through ones of the DNA services, but it ended a disaster and was a waste of money.  Now it totally makes me more wearily about the money part of it.  Especially, sites like Ancestry.  Even through have looked at from here to there, but never passed the free stuff.

Think thats it for now.

Thank you, again, in advance.

Yours truly,

It is something that would be interesting to me but I have noticed that companies seem to have cornered things and are more than ready to take their cut. When I recently did some investigation here locally for someone living in the US I found that information seems more readily available over your side of the pond than here. If I remember correctly local residents can view state records. It is probably the same here but guidance to the information does not seem to as clear online.

As my mother was adopted I suspect it would not be that easy.

Yeah, here in the US, you have to pay a membership on a website to view into records and after seeing that show where the celebrities have an expert dig into their ancestry, there’s definitely a lot of money being spent.

I really like MyHeritage.com where you can build your own family tree and it will show you matches with other people online. But you have to pay for a membership to connect with these people and accept or deny the matches. I have not paid for a membership yet, but I do want to, I have a lot of matches with one lady who I really want to connect with. Also they do DNA testing, and after comparing them with ancestry.com, I would prefer to go with myheritage.com.

Yeah, here in the US, you have to pay a membership on a website to view into records and after seeing that show where the celebrities have an expert dig into their ancestry, there’s definitely a lot of money being spent. I really like MyHeritage.com where you can build your own family tree and it will show you matches with other people online. But you have to pay for a membership to connect with these people and accept or deny the matches. I have not paid for a membership yet, but I do want to, I have a lot of matches with one lady who I really want to connect with. Also they do DNA testing, and after comparing them with ancestry.com, I would prefer to go with myheritage.com.

It is the same here in that companies do provide such a service, but when I was searching I could access your national archives to some extent without charge (a government site). I cannot remember the details but on searching further I think I may have come across state records which were only accessible by a resident (this may be specific to the state and vary but I am not sure and obviously not familiar with your local government).

In general terms most information is available (both here and in the US) as these companies who charge collate the available data from different sources  to make it easier for people to access. In the case of the person I was investigating I got information from our local records but they were unable to give me enough detail to work with. It required tracking through emigration records (which are available) but they could not supply recent local US records which I was unable to access, not being resident.

I think if you look out for offers by some of these companies such as Ancestry,com you can find offers for free access for up to a month at a time. I’ve looked at US sites as I was searching for an uncle who had emigrated in the 1940s.

The problem with my family tree is my dad is pure Irish. My mother was born and raised in Sweden. Her mother was born in Norway and emigrated to Sweden with my mother’s grandparents at 3 years old. My grandfather [my mother’s side] was Swedish. There is also a German connection back in some time. A lot of family tree companies don’t cater for various countries and usually just stick to residents of past times in Britain or the USA. It would take a lot of digging to get my family tree. Still, it is a very interesting topic.

My older sister got stuck into our family tree, but soon got a block. I forget why, but she is studious and a perseverer, so, that’s that, as far as I am concerned. 😛

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!