anyone getting ready for christmas?

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat anyone getting ready for christmas?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  TestDummyCO 3 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Yesterday I saw something on FB that really annoyed me.

A friend had shared a post  saying that people shouldnt brag about being ready for Christmas because this year many people have lost their jobs or family members  due to covid wont be able to get to the shops dont do online etc and that we should stop and think of them in these difficult times..

As I pointed out, this is the situation every year for many many people. I buy gifts and cook for two old people who I know have no family and would be sitting on Christmas day without a single gift to open if I didnt do it.. So where were all the caring folks in the past few years???

Suddenly we have a virus and these people who previously couldnt give a flying fig about anyone but themselves start posting messages about how we should all support each other.. Is it because they suddenly care or because   they’ve now  had a taste of what its like to be alone and broke?

And exactly how long is this new found caring attitude going to last?  Is it going to be around next Chritsmas or is it just until the virus is gone and they can  get to their Christmas party?

Sorry for the rant  but I hate this kind of fake caring rubbish.

I agree, Cassandra.  Until joblessness, poverty, hunger and all of society’s ills are eliminated (which is never), this year’s holiday season is no different than the rest.

Spending a lot more time at home and less time participating in social activities, people now have a lots of opportunity for quiet introspection and becoming oversensitive.

Here’s an old Bloom County strip from the 80s that sums things up quite nicely.

Attachments:
    1 member liked this post:

Oh, I forgot what I originally wanted to post.  This also goes under “What made me smile today.”

Besides my mother, I’ll send another card:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7450085/carson-swazey-weight-loss-mailbox

In case anyone else is interested in sending a card to this young man, clicking on the embedded Facebook post reveals his address.

I know what you mean Cassandra. Maybe their heart is in the right place but their brain is out of gear.

Over all this covid thing one of my main gripes, in a similar vein, has been with Morrison’s supermarkest here in the UK. They jumped on the bandwagon and offer 10% discount for NHS workers in the store. This is not a bad thing in theory but, in general, NHS workers are not particularly any worse off and may even be better with overtime pay. It was access to stores which was the problem, if I remember rightly. Now, with the 10% discount, Morrisons have to make up their loss, by raising prices, which is obviously hitting those who have lost money far harder.

2 users liked this post:

Oh, I forgot what I originally wanted to post. This also goes under “What made me smile today.”

Besides my mother, I’ll send another card:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7450085/carson-swazey-weight-loss-mailbox

In case anyone else is interested in sending a card to this young man, clicking on the embedded Facebook post reveals his address.

I will try to find a nice card for this young man ..

today my advent calendar arived in the shopping

I ordered a lint one this year (so the same as last year), and really want to open it now- it looks so tasty.

I won’t though: I’ll wait until dec 1 like the good girl I am. lol

today my advent calendar arived in the shopping

I ordered a lint one this year (so the same as last year), and really want to open it now- it looks so tasty.

I won’t though: I’ll wait until dec 1 like the good girl I am. lol

Im such a big kid.. I get myself an advent calender each year, this year it has minions on it…Just helps make it all feel a bit special.. (the calender I mean not the minions)

I like them as presents but don’t usually buy one for myself. It just doesn’t seem the same.

I bought one for my mother from a chocolatier in Portland, OR.  It’s basically a box of 25 assorted truffles, each in their own little “drawer.”

Attachments:
    2 users liked this post:
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!