Home » Topics » General Discussion » General Chat » Are historical dramas really superior to other types of TV?

Are historical dramas really superior to other types of TV?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Or is it because they always give those type of shows the highest budgets and best actors?

you’d think, being a history fan, I’d watch these types of shows andj ump at the oppotunity

but I actually don’t watch them

closest I’ve come to a history show is downton abby, but that’s more period drama.. and I only watched that because it had hew bonville in it. he’s a good actor

I haven’t hear of “The Right Stuff.”  I’ve seen “Chernobyl,” and I enjoyed it.

I’ve only recently seen Downton Abbey actually I quite like it it reminds me of upstairs downstairs and has a lovely story line going through it without all the bullets and blowing things up , foul language and stupid stunts you get in modern things.

I suppose it depends what you class as a historical drama I really enjoyed The bletchley circle which had a strong female theme running through it was set in the late 1940s early 1950s and celebrated the intelligence of women again it was without all the foul language the stupid stunts and the bullets flying left right and centre.

at casandra: I am glad you saw downton abby.

do you have a favorite character?

maggie smith’s charactger is great. so blunt, and funny at times too.

bletchley circle was good. honestly those women were clever

Downton Abbey was one of my favorite shows, and I even saw the movie.  I enjoyed watching Mr. Selfridge as well.

I did not know downton abby had a movie

does it follow from the show or is it another story (like would I have need to seen all the show to see the film?)

It’s all the same cast, but a story line in an of itself.  It would help if you had seen the series, as you get to know all the personalities.

[quote quote=215006]at casandra: I am glad you saw downton abby.

do you have a favorite character?

maggie smith’s charactger is great. so blunt, and funny at times too.

bletchley circle was good. honestly those women were clever

[/quote]

Well Maggie Smith is always lovely to watch and I like Penelope Winton.

I do think the standard of drama coming from British Tv does surpass that of the most US drama which I read somewhere someone said had to have a car chase or gunfight every 5 minutes or else the audience lost interest !

I liked the bletchley circle too but only the earlier series while still in England. I like historical things and watch many documentaries too. Not so much period dramas though.

My Nan loves watching Downton Abbey. She watches it every night, after her dinner. My nan is in her 90’s, too!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!