Bad choice in friends

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat Bad choice in friends

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of NR070315 NR070315 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Have you ever made lots of friends when you were young thinking you would stay friends forever….but that didn’t exactly go to plan? Well, I can say I made that mistake once too many times. Unfortunately, I did not do the best job in choosing friends at a young age. I chose a small group to associate with and thought everything would work out but little did I know, half of them became people I did not want to associate with anymore, and half of them became “fake”.  It sucks to say the least. I find myself honestly with one very good friend who I know will always be great to me however, she does have other friend groups as well and I may not be as close to her as she is to me.  I am in college and it seems hard to make friends where you only really know them for  4 years and then move on with your life. I put myself in the pickle jar and now I can’t get out.

I think that we move around in life, constantly changing our viewpoint and, in consequence, our immediate friends. We do lose touch with some who we really care for, and are perhaps, lumbered with some of those we don’t. In these days of the internet and social media most people can readily stay in touch. My experiences have told me though, that it is a mistake to cling onto relationships which in retrospect were doomed to failure. True friends respect each other and will likely continue to be so, even when temporarily parted. Even there though, things can become changed as life changed both of their repective lives. I have not seen any of my college friends for a long time. We drifted apart. That does not mean that I have forgotton them. The same was true of many of my school friends, and I have re-aquainted myself with many of them, on social media, in recent times. In many ways though, they are from the past, and make little impact on the present.

One thing I should say though is that 4 years can be a long time. Time is relative, and a passing moment can be a lifetime. Make the most of things!

1 member liked this post:

I only have a couple of friends that I have known for a very long time. My other friends are people I met more recently as we were interested in the same sort of things and went to the same places. If you are happy in what you are doing you will attract the right people as they will feel comfortable with you knowing you have similar interests. Relax and don’t try too hard.

I made a small number of friends at school and college. One friend has remained and I’ve known her since 1994. We’ve always gotten on. I agree that people grow and change and move on, though.

Back to your situation: I have a good friend and she can be trouble. That makes it hard on me and even harder on her. I wouldn’t disassociate myself with her, but sometimes I wonder if she’s a good friend. I don’t have the heart to end the friendship. In fact, I will always be her friend, but I do feel pressure when around her. I just ride the storm. I can’t say what you should do, but be true to yourself and don’t put up with anyone’s problems, if you can. And if you’re really uncomfortable and unhappy around someone, I would take a break from them. How you’ll do that, I don’t know.

I made a small number of friends at school and college. One friend has remained and I’ve known her since 1994. We’ve always gotten on. I agree that people grow and change and move on, though. Back to your situation: I have a good friend and she can be trouble. That makes it hard on me and even harder on her. I wouldn’t disassociate myself with her, but sometimes I wonder if she’s a good friend. I don’t have the heart to end the friendship. In fact, I will always be her friend, but I do feel pressure when around her. I just ride the storm. I can’t say what you should do, but be true to yourself and don’t put up with anyone’s problems, if you can. And if you’re really uncomfortable and unhappy around someone, I would take a break from them. How you’ll do that, I don’t know.

I agree with what is said here about keeping true to yourself and take a break from any negativity!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!