Beware The Scammers

Female Forum Forums General Discussion In the News Beware The Scammers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SpinningJen 4 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I nearly replied to a scammer. She claimed to be *anameIcannotmention. It turns out she is a scammer and asked me to not “betray” her. She wanted my ID card and passport.

She got my email from a popular website and I gave away a few details – such as my love of U2 – but she’d know that anyway, having read my U2 tribute poem on the same website. Thankfully I haven’t fallen for it and have deleted her emails completely. If you receive such an email from somone wanting to be your “friend” DON’T FALL FOR IT. I would’ve given away bank details/money/a passport number if I weren’t aware of such tricks. Plus, I feel like such a fool.

Again, any email from someone like that, ignore and delete.

I have to say I laugh at all the princes and people claiming to flee war zones offering me huge sums of money to smuggle their riches out for them. I think anyone falling for this does so from greed and deserves what they get . But those who think they are entering nto a friendship are different,  they are acting from concern or love for a person they think is a friend when they send money I do feel sorry for people who get scammed like that.

And of course old people who get scammed by the bank fraud scammers who get them to withdraw cash and hand it over to a supposed ‘police courier’ those people should be hung up by their toes.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  cassandra.

I have nothing but admiration for those people who keep scammers hanging on the phone for significant time and waste their time. It would probably be useful to have some form of false ID to hand that would let them waste their time when trying to access accounts. One thing I have realised though is that I have found that banks will often not check close details so if scammers get a bank account number without a fully correct name don’t assume they will automatically pick up on it. My experience is that they are often just as muchor more hassle to genuine people making mistakes than to scammers who have professional hacking experience – beware!

1 member liked this post:

I have deleted all the emails and deleted her off my email contacts list. I shall delete any subsequent emails from her.

As soon as I read the email asking for my passport and ID card, I knew it was a scam. And I felt so foolish. I now won’t reply to anyone asking to get to know me online. It is like swimming with sharks. The Internet is great, but there are fraudsters and criminals.

I have learnt my lesson.

I’ve heard no more from the scammer. I am rather relieved about this. It was scary to think if I were unaware of such things I would’ve lost thousands and thousands of pounds to a scammer.

I definitely won’t increase that risk now: no one on the Internet can be trusted in that way. I am not saying everyone is a scammer: but you just can’t take that risk.

Anyhow, I have learnt my lesson and won’t fall for such a trick again.

The thing about scammers are that they only need to win with, say, one in a hundred to make it worthwhile for them. There will likely be that one out there. It’s not worth their while chasing someone who is already aware of them, but they might pass detail on to others.

2 users liked this post:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!