BGT , Diversity too far?

Female Forum Forums General Discussion In the News BGT , Diversity too far?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Marcilena 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

The Diversity dance group did a dance number at the semi finals of BGT last weekend and people got very upset. The tv company has had complaints totalling about 3000 now. Members of the group have been trolled online for what was seen as going too far with their political message..

So , too much? Or is this what art is about . Espressing the mood and the feelings of the people in an artistic form.

What about the  Banksy painting ,, dont give me coins I want change.. Is that not a clear message.

If we look at music in the 1980s the specials with Ghost town,  Frankie goes to Hollywood Two tribes

Or U2 with Sunday Bloody Sunday or the Cranberries with the haunting lyric and video Zombie all very political songs.

Art has a very long history of reflecting the world around it and the artists use their medium be it paint song or dance to put their message out there so whats different this time?

Can art be seperated from polictics or current affairs?

Can we sing about flowers and rainbows  even when the world is on fire?

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  cassandra.

I agree that every artist pictures the world seen through their own lens using his/her preferred medium.  I don’t get why this has caused such an uproar.  I found the performance to be beautifully choreographed and narrated.  It described a world that has healed from both the coronavirus and racism.

I think they really messed up big time with this. Living in an area in which there is little predjudice, at least compared with some of the bigger cities, I know of many people here who are incensed at the way BLM people can appear to get away with almost anything in the name of equality, yet in many cases seem more for black power. With this conflict between the two views things are getting heated at points. The BLM movement may actually result in far more racial tension than it alleviates. I know in the US there is far more violence but here there are just as extreme views. From some experience of cultural differences, I can see that probably the majority of people know almost nothing about what they are protesting about except what they are fed by the media and friends.

I think they really messed up big time with this. Living in an area in which there is little predjudice, at least compared with some of the bigger cities, I know of many people here who are incensed at the way BLM people can appear to get away with almost anything in the name of equality, yet in many cases seem more for black power. With this conflict between the two views things are getting heated at points. The BLM movement may actually result in far more racial tension than it alleviates. I know in the US there is far more violence but here there are just as extreme views. From some experience of cultural differences, I can see that probably the majority of people know almost nothing about what they are protesting about except what they are fed by the media and friends.

I agree that the BLM group are not what they claim to be and many of those supporting them dont really know that.

But as a dance as an interpretation of the world at the moment was this dance too much? Or did it just reflect what is going on?

I cant see how things be they violence or ‘just’ extreme views will change unless someone challenges the status quo and surely art is a more peaceful form of demonstration than the rioting on the streets.

I cant see how things be they violence or ‘just’ extreme views will change unless someone challenges the status quo and surely art is a more peaceful form of demonstration than the rioting on the streets.

Yes, I agree that art is a more peaceful form of demonstration but, unlike paintings tend to be, dance is seen in somewhat a different light by differing audiences. For many it is just entertainment, much like similar people would just see a painting. If a painting were in a gallery then they may well look at it and dislike but are unlikely to complain unless it were very extreme. On TV though, pushed into their homes, it is a different matter.  For me, like paintings, I would just turn off if I didn’t like it. One has to look at the audience who follow this BGT program. This is really family entertainment. It is not the place for ramming race down everyones’s throats. It is ‘entertainment’  – to get away from the troubles of the world for a while. People need to relax. Raising their emotion hence stress levels will not help and, as I said, may well act in a negative way which this is obviously doing for many.

I haven’t seen the video, but let me say this: a dance is always going to be physically revealing at times. It is a form of expression and emotion. It is such a shame the dance got such a negative reaction: its purpose was to express. I understand people’s reaction but also understand the idea of what the dance represents. Again, it is a shame people didn’t react more warmly to its message. I shall watch the video and comment more on this.

that’s what i like about art. i think it’s amazing that they have a way to express this that is non-violent. i don’t think they should give people ideas that it’s ok to go shoot someone but i can understand them expressing their outrage at the situation or depending on what the art is about. i like to combine images and music to express a sentiment when i blog.

1 member liked this post:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!