Birth Control

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Heike 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Most women have used some sort of birth control in there lifetime. It may have been as easy as using condom during sex to being on The Pill. Some women have also used the The Pill to decrease the intensity of there menstrual cycles. There are also the IUD’s, Sponge, and newer implants. There is also the natural methods by taking temperatures and following your cycle. What sort of methods have you ladies used and have you found one method more successful then another?

I have been on The Pill since the age of 13 and not for the reason of being sexually active at that age but for the severity of my periods. Once I became sexually active I relied on condoms and still using The Pill as my Birth Control. This method I felt extremely safe from both getting pregnant and STD’s,

I use natural family planning, I have an app called Natural Cycles, it works really well for me.  I track my temperature daily, and sometimes I use ovulation tests, but I don’t do that as often any more because I’ve been using my program for so long it’s pretty perfect now at predicting.  It’s quite spot on (no pun intended, lol!) telling me when my period’s going to start, and I feel very confident in my red/green zones.  For avoiding STDs lol I’m just very careful who I sleep with, I’ve had 2 sexual partners in my life and for both men I was his first sexual partner, so I feel pretty safe?

1 member liked this post:

I use natural family planning, I have an app called Natural Cycles, it works really well for me. I track my temperature daily, and sometimes I use ovulation tests, but I don’t do that as often any more because I’ve been using my program for so long it’s pretty perfect now at predicting. It’s quite spot on (no pun intended, lol!) telling me when my period’s going to start, and I feel very confident in my red/green zones. For avoiding STDs lol I’m just very careful who I sleep with, I’ve had 2 sexual partners in my life and for both men I was his first sexual partner, so I feel pretty safe?

I am well aware of charting and temperature taking and it is a quite effective method to use but you have to stay on top of it.

I have also not been promiscuous in my lifetime and even though I am quite young still the 2 guys I date regularly now are basically the only guys I really want to spend time with. Once Pre-Med is over and I officially start Medical School I will be married to that for many years so that will become my life.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Tearknee.

Tearknee, like you, I started the pill at a young age…14 or 15, I believe…to regulate my periods.  I think, it was more for my mother’s piece of mind than my own.  I knew that I wasn’t sexually active, but she didn’t.  Having a teenager with irregular periods is probably pretty scary.

When I couldn’t take the pill any longer, my ex and I used condoms.  After a life-threatening ordeal about 15 years ago, I started using the Mirena IUD.  10 years after that, hubby got snipped.

The ParaGard (aka, Copper-T) is certainly not for everybody, but I swore by mine! I had it inserted when I was 25, and wore one continuously until I was 55. But I did have some growing pains with it.

All 3 of my insertions were PAINFUL!!! My second and third I charged up on Tylenol 3 (with Codeine) beforehand, which helped. And all 3 of my insertions I had while I was menstruating, when my cervix was naturally dilated. I was so happy at my third and last removal, by then I was post-menopausal, since there was going to be no reinsertion.

When I had it first inserted, my periods were quite violent for the first 6 months. Over a week, with very exceptionally heavily bleeding. Like my body was trying its best to expel my IUD. But after 6 months, things went back to normal.

To make matters worse, I was told not to wear Tampons for my first 4 months after insertion, until I could come back and get the strings trimmed. Pads only. This wasn’t so bad for the second and third insertion, but the first, with the heavily bleeding, that sucked.

Also, each insertion, until I got the strings trimmed, my husband complained that he hit the strings when we had intercourse (he’s quite BIG!!!). But we got through that too.

I would have liked to have gone with Mirena, since they curtail menstruation. But my OB/GYN crystal clear recommended against this for me. She knew I was a smoker. And cigarettes and hormonal b/c are not a good mix.

But all in all, if I had to go back on b/c, the ParaGard is my crystal clear choice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!