Boyfriend's embarrassed?

Female Forum Forums The Bulletin Board The Lab Boyfriend's embarrassed?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mikki 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hey everyone!

My boyfriend came to my family’s cookout last weekend. We met via Tinder. We had our alone time before everyone arrived, including my nephew. Except for me and a few others, my family are athletic. My nephew challenged my bf to a serious wrestling match, 2 of 3 falls.My nephew is 12 and around 115lbs but is athletic and wrestles for his middle school. My bf is 32 and 155lbs and mainly runs and kayaks. In short, my nephew beat him 2 straight falls by pinning and one time by making my bf give up in a headlock, in which my bf turned red and sounded like he was going to cry. He twisted, pushed, tried to lift my nephew at one point and bridged but did not seem strong enough. Not to mention he didn’t seem to know wrestling well.

My bf didn’t say much after losing and hasn’t much since except accusing my nephew of choking. He actually left shortly after losing. Are boys who are athletic and play sports known to be stronger than grown men? Not sure if he’s weak or if my nephew is the exception for his age and size. Also, I want to tell him I didn5 care if he lost, but als9 may e strength train and let my nephew teach him wrestling but I’m afraid this will make it worse.

Best to just forget about it Freya. Bringing it up again will only just rekindle his embarrassment.  I’m surprised at 32 years old he’s acting like a spoiled brat. I hope he can handle other setbacks in life with more grace than he handled this one. I’d be watching- closely.

There is probably nothing that will deflate a male ego quicker than being beaten by a child, especially in front of an audience. Was he aware your nephew wrestled in contests? Your boyfriend will now likely not feel confident in showing his face with any of the people who were there. It is possible your nephew and him could get together and sort things between them, but, as Rhonda said, probably best forget about it. If your boyfriend gets over it and becomes a friend of the family (including your nephew) then it will just become an embarrasing past incident with which he can learn for the future.

There is probably nothing that will deflate a male ego quicker than being beaten by a child, especially in front of an audience. Was he aware your nephew wrestled in contests? Your boyfriend will now likely not feel confident in showing his face with any of the people who were there. It is possible your nephew and him could get together and sort things between them, but, as Rhonda said, probably best forget about it. If your boyfriend gets over it and becomes a friend of the family (including your nephew) then it will just become an embarrasing past incident with which he can learn for the future.

Sorry for the late response. I’ve been away. My nephew told him he wrestled for his middle school, but didn’t really mention wrestling and training in judo since age 6. My nephew actually asked my bf to come to his dads gym to strength train and learn some man and wrestling.

Best to just forget about it Freya. Bringing it up again will only just rekindle his embarrassment. I’m surprised at 32 years old he’s acting like a spoiled brat. I hope he can handle other setbacks in life with more grace than he handled this one. I’d be watching- closely.

Hey Rhonda,

Yeah, his ego was setback some. I haven’t brought up the actual wrestling match but my nephew invited him to train at his father’s gym.

I can understand your boyfriend’s reaction: I’d be embarrassed myself. Having someone younger do that is deeply humiliating. Obviously, you already realize this. I wouldn’t bring it up with your boyfriend, though: he is embarrassed enough. Just let sleeping dogs lie. I don’t really have much advice, but all you can really do is quietly support your boyfriend.

Ji. Good point. We haven’t talked about it much since it happened. Even though my nephew mentioned teaching my bf wrestling lessons and to strength train at his dads gym.

I can understand your boyfriend’s reaction: I’d be embarrassed myself. Having someone younger do that is deeply humiliating. Obviously, you already realize this. I wouldn’t bring it up with your boyfriend, though: he is embarrassed enough. Just let sleeping dogs lie. I don’t really have much advice, but all you can really do is quietly support your boyfriend.

Suggesting the bf take wrestling lessons at the gym only further increases his perceived shame. Get past this Freya and I’d have a word with nephew and have him drop the matter. But what really concerns me is how bf handled this at age 32. He should be more mature.

It happened to my hubby once . he just laughed it off and made out he was not trying ( this was at football ). The best bit was his pride was hurt and he did not speak to me for a while.

This reminds me of the last time I was in college. I was a mature student, and on games afternoon I used to love to play squash. The problem was that there were a lot of very much younger, fitter people, both male and female, who easily beat me. I steadily got better and began to win a few, but the trouble was that several couldn’t live with being beaten by me so decided the sport was not for them. I always seemed to be at the bottom 😕

I have always been competitive but we have to accept it when someone is better, I have played hubby at squash but he is far too good for me.

I am actually good at football and tennis, although I seldom play. It is a lot of fun, though!

Hi, yes I can beat hubby at tennis, he gets annoyed about that, shame.

1 member liked this post:
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!