Brexit

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Papillio 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

So, finally, after our historic referendum last year, it’s happened. Theresa May, our prime minister has triggered article 50, to kick start the process of leaving the hateful EU! Yayyyyy!

We can now take back full control of our borders,our fishing waters, our lives and our laws without constant interference from the meddling eu.

Nicola Sturgeon is NOT happy. She wants another referendum for Scotland. Despite their last one being a ‘once in a lifetime vote’. They said no, they dont want it. But she keeps on and on and on. Now she has written a lengthly letter to the prime minister asking permission from the UK governent. It wont be given. She has been told that a million times.

Happy days.

So, finally, after our historic referendum last year, it’s happened. Theresa May, our prime minister has triggered article 50, to kick start the process of leaving the hateful EU! Yayyyyy!

We can now take back full control of our borders,our fishing waters, our lives and our laws without constant interference from the meddling eu.

Nicola Sturgeon is NOT happy. She wants another referendum for Scotland. Despite their last one being a ‘once in a lifetime vote’. They said no, they dont want it. But she keeps on and on and on. Now she has written a lengthly letter to the prime minister asking permission from the UK governent. It wont be given. She has been told that a million times.

Happy days.

Souxi,

I know that I’m across the pond aka Atlantic Ocean in US. Anyway, still feel the urge to respond to this even through I’m in UK.

Hmm all bad/good for them, interesting, okay, understandable, WOW.

At the same time do feel for both sides of the equation. Still that the British aka English need to return all of the countries that are a part of theirs aka UK. In which they are Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Even through they have apart of them basically forever. But still I feel thats the more proper aka grown up thing to do.

This is also coming from someone whom is Catholic (Roman), but whose doesn’t have anyone in her family that hails from that part of Europe/World. We all hail from Holland aka Netherlands, Italy, Lithuania, and Poland. All of them are 3rd generation. Expect for one of them thats 2nd. Some of them are Catholic, but others are Baptist (well they switched from Catholic to that one when were living close to that church instead of an Catholic one) and Presbyterian or something else along those lines. In which I’m still totally not sure of.

Interesting comments!

With the separate countries issue, I do wonder what would happen if the US had been part and then had their own Brexit. Would various states go their own way and demand independence!

I just say this because, when the US elections were taking place, I did ask on another forum, because of the divisions which were voiced at the time, whether there were any US states which had tried to go their own way and depart from the union. I was informed by several people over there that Texas regularly voices the idea, although it has never happened.

It is a very complicated situation, especially with Northern Ireland, as the country is divided, principally on religious and ethnic grounds. They have strong voices on both sides but likely a vote would go against the most militant faction because of weight of numbers.

Although different is ways, the countries which make up the UK are not unlike the states of the US.

And now we have that little issue of Gibraltar tossed into the mix. How did anyone forget to cover that dependency when drafting the Brexit letter? Interestingly the people of Gibraltar are worried about being left to the behest of Spain but overwhelmingly voted to stay in Europe!

I can appreciate where Nicola Sturgeon is coming from, but the Prime Minister is very busy at the moment and the government don’t have time to organize the Scottish referendum. Theresa May will get around to it, but her hands are full ATM. This sounds totally obvious but it’s true. Nicola needs to be patient and give the Prime Minister a chance to get one task done before the next.

Interesting comments!

With the separate countries issue, I do wonder what would happen if the US had been part and then had their own Brexit. Would various states go their own way and demand independence!

I just say this because, when the US elections were taking place, I did ask on another forum, because of the divisions which were voiced at the time, whether there were any US states which had tried to go their own way and depart from the union. I was informed by several people over there that Texas regularly voices the idea, although it has never happened.

It is a very complicated situation, especially with Northern Ireland, as the country is divided, principally on religious and ethnic grounds. They have strong voices on both sides but likely a vote would go against the most militant faction because of weight of numbers.

Although different is ways, the countries which make up the UK are not unlike the states of the US.

And now we have that little issue of Gibraltar tossed into the mix. How did anyone forget to cover that dependency when drafting the Brexit letter? Interestingly the people of Gibraltar are worried about being left to the behest of Spain but overwhelmingly voted to stay in Europe!

I can appreciate where Nicola Sturgeon is coming from, but the Prime Minister is very busy at the moment and the government don’t have time to organize the Scottish referendum. Theresa May will get around to it, but her hands are full ATM. This sounds totally obvious but it’s true. Nicola needs to be patient and give the Prime Minister a chance to get one task done before the next.

Jen, Lindylo, and KitKatKitty,

Yet another again hmm all good/bad for them, interesting, okay, understandable, and WOW.

I totally forgot about all of these others rights and issues in my 1st response here.

In which thats very intriguing to me. Especially, being a American and what we went through has a country to get our Independence from them. Even through it was a long time, but still of bit relevant to what you guys are going through.

Yes she is, far too busy to deal with Nicola and her incessant ranting about another referendum, which was supposed to be a once in a lifetime vote btw.

The vast majority of Scots dont want another one, they want to stay part of the UK. If the did leave,what currency would they have? Cant have ours. The euro?

The problem with the independence vote was that the english made an enormous anti independence play on the fact that Scotland would be out of the EU if they got independence.

Now look what the english have done to the eu on behalf of scotland.

Level playing field? Not much sign of that I’m afraid. 😛

Really?

We’re British. We’re English and British, or Irish and British or Welsh and British.

The Welsh don’t want to be apart from us, Northern Ireland REALLY don’t want to be apart from us. It’s just the Scots and the Irish that want to leave. Ireland is struggling to keep it’s head above water (although all that crisis with the Euro didn’t help, they’re still feeling it) and while I completely get why there should be a second referendum I just don’t see how they can afford to stand by themselves.

They have far less income than outgoings. Besides, as should be standing together, not falling apart. That starts here, at home, then Europe, then the world. We need to be coming together not turning on each other… With the exception of Trump and Putin. Those two I’d be much happier without! Dangerous, stubborn and terrifying. They shouldn’t be able to wield the power that they do!

If the scots get independence, they will be saying goodbye to Trump, and all of his death based at Faslane.

The scots are largely in favour of unilateral nuclear disarmament.

I don’t disagree Cherry as it would be better for all without these things.

Thinking a bit deeper about though, I had the sudden thought that if Scotland were independant and largely unprotected the Russian Northern fleet would have fairly free access to the upper North Sea etc. From a strategic point of view they may well be able to skirt round the top and encircle Europe in one big thrust as it would take all the UK to push the Russians out of Scotland.

Probably a bit far fetched, but a possible scenario, and shows that things are more involved than we may think.

Just heard on the news we are to have a snap election in June. That was a bit of a surprise!
    Looks like Theresa May wants to ensure that she has the backing of the country before taking any further steps towards Brexit negotiations. Not sure what I think about it. It will give here more power at the negotiation table to push hard for a favourable deal.

It doesn’t surprise me. It’s a win-win situation for May.

If she wins, she’ll have support in her own right (being as how she’s an unelected PM).

If she loses, she doesn’t have to clean up this sh*t fest!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!