Can jetlag lead to extreme anxiety or is it all in my head?

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Health & Diet Can jetlag lead to extreme anxiety or is it all in my head?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 2 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi, all.

Last night, I returned home after a LONG 17-hour journey (travelled West to East–and I’ve read jetlag is worse in this situation.)

All the previous times I have travelled, my jetlag consisted of an increase in appetite and insomnia. This time however, I am feeling upset and annoyed by everything. My mood swings are unreal. I’m not sure if it’s because my period ended today, so the hormones and jetlag clashed and caused me to go insane. I’ve long battled anxiety from the age of 13 so it’s not like this is anything new, but there’s just this… uneasiness inside of me, even though I have no reason. I’m grateful for the life I’m living.

I also haven’t eaten anything since morning (right now, the time is 9:45PM) because I genuinely haven’t felt hungry. This is embarrassing, but I’m also ridiculously hot and bothered. Yikes. Someone, please comfort me and tell me this is normal!

Sending big hugs <3

I have not suffered from jetlag but do suffer somewhat with anxiety when I am extremely tired so I would say yes. Hormone swings do make things worse, in my opinion, and experience. Get some rest. You’ll feel better 🙂

1 member liked this post:

Thank you so much for your kind words. I slept eleven hours last night… So, I’ve been feeling a little less like trash today, though the hormones are still coming on strong. I love being a woman (and no, I’m not being sarcastic.)  Hope you’ve been taking care as well.

I have to confess, I suffer from anxiety myself. Some days it’s not so bad, other days it is worse. It goes up and down, basically.

What I do to deal with it, is have a good night’s sleep. Listen to music. Go out for a walk. Write in my diary. Telephone a friend, etc. Trying to live normally – even with anxiety – is what I do. I also eat properly. But I can understand where you’re coming from: anxiety is horrible. Anyhow, you’re not alone: with or without anxiety.

1 member liked this post:

Hi, KitKatKitty.

I’m sorry you have to deal with anxiety; you’re so strong for keeping on pushing despite what it can do to us. I’ve been trying to live “normally” too. Today, it’s not that bad. For months, I’ve been training myself to altogether ignore anxiety and its impacts, and pretend I don’t even have it.

As you said, somedays it can come on strong, other days it’s practically non-existent. *Sigh.* I just gotta accept it’s one of those ‘down’ phases of life.

Phoning a friend sounds so great right now.

Thank you for your support, ruhaniyat: you’re right: it can come on strong some days. I suppose I have to push on: if I didn’t I would be in  a coffin. Still, having to battle anxiety is awful – which you know. Feeling fear can be cripling. Especially as it never goes away.

Thank you for your kind words and I hope you’ll carry on pushing forward and battling that old demon called fear.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!