Home » Topics » General Discussion » In the News » Corona virus

Corona virus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Arkwright would be loving it lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_All_Hours

See this link also: https: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRYFR6UP0Lw

An easy way of getting rid of all the nasty old Izal toilet rolls lol https://www.amazon.co.uk/IZAL-MEDICATED-STRONG-TOILET-TISSUE/product-reviews/B00FRK2RCC

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by SpinningJen. Reason: Added link

I must admit, I am scared of dropping dead from this virus. I don’t want to get ill and suffer like that.

Here in  the Netherlands the virus is spreading and  our government has  decided to take quite drastic measures. As from now all gatherings of more than 100 people are forbidden museums, concert halls, theatres, cinema’s,sporting events etc are all closed.They have advised anybody with a compromised immune system to avoid public transport crowded shops etc and they are asking everybody with cold not to visit elderly patients or relatives. They have also asked for anybody who is able to work from home to please do so.

As yet there has been no panic buying but that all could change.

Despite warnings and other large events being cancelled (not to mention that many Europeans can’t make it), they’re still going to hold that conference I mentioned earlier in this thread.  I elected to stay away from it.  This will be the first year since 2007 that I will not be there.

Also, concerns about the spread of COVID-19 could give your computer a virus as well.  I received this notice earlier today.  I searched online for a link to it, but the only one I found was a type of tiny url that I wasn’t sure of.

Fake Online Coronavirus Map Delivers Well-known Malware
    Health Sector Cybersecurity Coordination Center (HC3)
    HC3@HHS.GOV
    Date: March 10, 2020

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:
    A malicious website pretending to be the live map for Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins University is circulating on the internet waiting for unwitting internet users to visit the website. Visiting the website infects the user with the AZORult trojan, an information stealing program which can exfiltrate a variety of sensitive data. It is likely being spread via infected email attachments, malicious online advertisements, and social engineering. Furthermore, anyone searching the internet for a Coronavirus map could unwittingly navigate to this malicious website.

Threat Details
    A sample of the malware being deployed by “corona-virus-map[dot]com” was submitted and analyzed by and received an extremely malicious threat score of 100/100 with Anti-virus (AV) detection at 76%. This sample was labelled by Hybrid-Analysis as a Trojan.

Recommendations
    End users should be warned about this cybersecurity risk and security teams should blacklist any indicators associated with this specific threat. IOCs and Analysis may be found here: https://blog.reasonsecurity.com/2020/03/09/covid-19-info-stealer-the-map-of-threats-threat-analysis-report/

Thank you for the update @TestDummyCO. I suppose we should be expecting something like this 🙁

I also saw a very suspicious link yesterday claming to be  a link to breaking news that Norway has found a cure for the virus..

Im sure if this was true there would have been a flash news bulletin on every news channel not just a link via internet!

Since I last posted, COVID-19 cases in Colorado increased to 77.  The first case in El Paso County (county seat is Colorado Springs) was a 40 year-old who had recently traveled to California.  Colorado’s first coronavirus death is An El Paso County octogenarian who lived alone.  It’s unsure how she got the virus.  Most of the cases in Colorado are in the “high country.”

I was at my regular hair appointment earlier, and my stylist stated that COSTCO was out of chicken.  According to another stylist, disinfecting wipes are becoming scarce as well.  Even though I made my regular purchase of toilet paper from Sam’s Club (45 mega roll pack) several weeks ago, I’ve been going online out of curiosity to find that toilet paper is completely out of stock in both clubs here.  I’ve read that COSTCO also has no toilet paper.  Some other stores are out of pet food and kitty litter.  Bottled water seems to be vanishing, although I don’t understand the need for bottled water here.  Our utility company produces some of the best tap water in the nation.

As I suspected, there are a lot of profiteering attempts contributing to the shortages.  I hope there’s a special place in Hell reserved for these people:  He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them.  They deserve to be stuck with what they have.

Yesterday, the conference organizers finally decided to postpone the conference.  I don’t know why it took them so long to reach a prudent decision.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by TestDummyCO.

Im amazed at the hoarding which has hit some shops here too and its a very non Dutch thing to do. People have openly scolded those who try to take more than is necessary.

Here its loo roll (seems to be a standard) bread including semi baked stuff and of all things pizza…. As if a person can live on pizza alone!

Meanwhile there have been emails and online statements from two major supermarkets that there is NO shaortage of goods just a few empty shelves because of the madness of a few crazy people and that all stores will be re-stocked as per usual.

My son in law went to the coffee shop yesterday and picked up his weed for the weekend then bought an 8 pack of toilet roll two large bags of potato chips and declared himself ready for anything!  A much more Dutch style mentality.

My local hospital also issued a statement saying any out patient appontments that can be done by phone ie test results and regular check ups that dont need hands on treatment will be done by phone. Elective surgery may be delayed and they are asking people not to visit unless absolutely necessary.

Ive also noticed a lot of people online saying they are not walking the dog because of this, that I dont understand as long as you are not hugging people or standing around in crowds why cant you walk the dog? I suspect using any excuse to avoid walking is the answer to that.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by cassandra.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by cassandra.

There are no words to describe how appalled I was to read that last night.

A couple of things maybe unique to the Netherlands.  Firstly when the new rules were introduced there were huge queues outside coffee shops from people anxious to get their supply of weed/joints so the govt has allowed the coffee shops to use a takeaway system using a drawer such as you see by all night gas stations so that no one goes without.

A couple of lovely positive things…

The second was by local restaurants who obviously couldnt open so they gave all their fresh produce to people at the foodbank and those less well off.

The third was last night when people across the country came out at 8pm to applaud and make noise in support of medical personeel who are working through and with this virus, even the royal family joined in the princesses banged saucepan lids and King Willem Alexander said we are here clapping our thanks and respect for all medical personeel for helping us through this terrible virus…

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/video/video/5060351/heel-nederland-klapt-voor-de-helden-de-zorg-inclusief-de-koninklijke

A lighthearted story from nearby Manitou Springs…

Dog makes deliveries to quarantined neighbor in Colorado

I love that story about the dog.

There have been lots of stories about neigbourhood kindness and collective but socially distanced acts of generosity. I dont suppose it will last though..

Once all this is over and daily life presses us for time and attention our neighbours will be forgotten again.

My one hope is that, after it is all over, the governments of the world will realise what a difference the reduction in pollution had and work more toward permanent change.

I am not wanting to dissuade anyone from the magnitude of the situation, but I have noticed that although the figures for the numbers of people in the Uk getting the virus and dying are shown as going up rapidly, has anyone noticed that the figure reported for people recovering has not changed over several days? Am I imagining things? We know people are recovering (Prince Charles for one) so obviously the figures are very skewed toward the bad side, as obviously they can far more easily report deaths.  My suspicion is that there are very very many with mild symptoms getting and recovering without even being registered. The figures given are NHS / Department of Health figures, not actual and show what they provide.

Another point I would make is that, as well as the 1918 epedemic, there have been several such occurrances over the years. The main difference now is that communications are far better so we are far more aware of the progress. This makes us better able to deal with it but it does become far more terrifying.

Keep with the isolation everyone but also keep cheerful. Another blip on the complexeties of life.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!