Dec 1st

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Is world aids day.Did you know that?

We women are one of the biggest risk groups so why are we still dying of ignorance?

On a global front about 1 to 1.2 million deaths occurred in 2016 and from 2011-2016 HIV/AIDS that it was the leading cause of death worldwide for women aged 15-44 years. Sadly the update published in August 2018 shows that in 2017 although women constitute more than half of all people living with HIV, they are remain disproportionately impacted in terms of treatment & care support, in part this is a contributing factor to the fact that AIDS-related illnesses remains the leading cause of death for women globally of reproductive age 15-44..

Be aware of the risks and the fact that treatments now can really impact life quality and lifespans HIV is no longer the bogeyman it once was but while its not talked about it will continue to spread and kill.

https://www.womenshealth.gov/hiv-and-aids/women-and-hiv

Attachments:

Thanks for the reminder, Cassandra.  With the holiday rush upon us, we tend to focus mostly on the homeless and hungry and often forget people suffering from other ills.

1 member liked this post:

It is shocking that HIV/AIDS is so prevailent around the world. There is a lot of research into the disease and one-day there will be a cure, we all want.

Thank you for the reminder.

I do still notice as there are reports of new drugs. One was mentioned by someone who has the virus on local TV only the other day. I like to keep an interest, but there are several similar viruses and things which are just as bad. They are making good advances but, sadly, there is always another bug just around the corner.

I agree with you, SpinningJen: there is always another illness/disease/etc. going around. There are advances in treatments, but there was the case of the superbugs in hospitals, if anyone remembers this. But medical experts are making progress. But – unfortunately – there will always be an illness of some type going around.

Its true there have been loads of advances in anti retro viral drugs and in many cases people are able to be treated with just one or two pills per day instead of the handfuls they used to take. Its true that HIV is no longer the death sentence it used to be because the modern drugs can suppress the virus down to an undetectable level.  But that wasnt the point of my post. My point was that women are at particular risk from this virus and while theres loads of info about things like breast and cervical cancer HIV as a risk to women is largely ignored. Yet this isnt random, this isnt something we just might develop, this is something we can avoid, its something we can actively protect ourselves against,  its not just another thing going round like the flu. This is a virus we can avoid if only we are aware of the risks and dangers.  Be aware be safe stay safe.

2 users liked this post:

You’re absolutely right, cassandra. HIV/AIDS is something that can be prevented and it isn’t some bug that just makes the rounds: it’s a medical condition that can be prevented. It doesn’t make sense to me why HIV in women is so largely ignored: it’s a crime.

Your post has highlighted this.

1 member liked this post:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!