Digital photography/cameras.

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Hobbies & Leisure Digital photography/cameras.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  cassandra 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I’ve just bought myself a new camera. Nothing high end its a canon bridge the SX70HS to replace my old Nikon B700.

The nikon was only 4 years old but its done a lot of work and things were slowing down and wearing out. I started thinking about how much work its done  and I worked out that if I take an average of 50 photos a day thats 18,250 per year so in 4 years Ive taken about 73,000 pictures.

Now the cost of a new camera isnt peanuts but imagine if I had paid for the film and developing of all those photos… 73,000 /24 is 3041 rolls of film  now costing around £15 for a film and developing thats a whopping  £45, 615..

That stunned me a bit. Even buying a new camera each year wouldnt cost that much. No wonder our parents were so careful with cameras and film. Each holiday had just one or two rolls of film. I shot 168 photos of my dogs larking about swimming on Monday.

Isnt it amazing how digital photography has freed us up to lark about with photos and just have fun with them instead of trying to make a film last and only take important or special photos…

Does anyone else enjoy photography ?  Im not great at all the digital art stuff like stacking or masking or photoshopping I just like honest photos of daily life but Id love to know what you all take photos of and what you use..

I have a digital camera. My dad bought it from Boots a few years ago. I haven’t taken any photos for a while though now. Still,  it’s a great camera. I don’t print out my photos but do upload them onto my computer.

I do love the photos I have taken and will take more soon.

Enjoy your camera!

1 member liked this post:

I usually take my smaller camera out with me when walking although I have reduced the amout of photos that I take. I found that I was spending too much time looking for a photo rather than enjoying the experience. Especially true when visiting places.

My cameras are a little old now, one being a bridge Fujifilm Finepix S9600, which I find very good as it has options of manual focus and manual zoom which is good for tricky shots especially macro insects etc, and a Panasonic DMC-TZ8, which is a small camera so very easy to carry when I am out walking. It is amazing to think how things have changed with cameras.

It is amazing to think how things have changed with cameras.

My first digital was a Sony cybershot. 5 mp and 3 x zoom we got it as a gift for taking a contract out on a phone.. (1995 or thereabouts) Ive looked at it recently and its laughable the memory card is a huge plastic key and it runs on AA batteries.. I really should put some in and test it..Just for fun of course.

But the advances made in those 15 or so years are amazing I remember the price we would have had to pay if we had bought the sony  and its the equivelent of about £750 today ..

Hi.

I have a few camara,s and video,s  canon,s      Nikon, sony K4     and other brands plus of cause film camara,s I will say there would be some 40,000 shot,s an many video,s not as many as other,s though I do as you or I would take and not touched or cooked,for our many different groups  Reinactment   Scottish  and Military detail  as a marching Brass Band so if I,m on Parade I,ll get other,s to use my camara,s,

Away from that I,ll do landscapes and out doors  buildings and things of interest,  some nice detail over in Australia ,

My first canon  dig is a power shot S51S plus the flash   and gear,  and over the years I have been given or went and took my time buying  so some 10  2 go back to 1918 and 1920 plate did have the box brownie  one film projector 1930 to 40,s 8mm.

yes your right cost of film  and compared to dgi no way could I  do film now and take 1000,s of, photo,s.

…noeleena…

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  noeleena.

I love having the freedom and instant gratification of taking digital photos!

I purchased my first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot S400, in 2003.  It took 4 MP pictures.   I have since replaced it with several other Canons (P&Ss, not DSLRs).

A PowerShot SD1200 IS (10 MP) in 2009.  I broke it a year later and replaced it with a PowerShot SD1300 IS (12.1 MP).  In 2016, I replaced that one with the one I still use today.  It’s a Canon PowerShot SX600 HS (16 MP).

I purchased my first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot S400, in 2003. It took 4 MP pictures. I have since replaced it with several other Canons (P&Ss, not DSLRs).

Ive looked at DSLR’s but given that most pof my photos are taking while walking the dogs and so I only have one hand to operate the camera I find a DSLR too  complicated and needing too much adjustment that isnt possible one handed.

I purchased my first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot S400, in 2003. It took 4 MP pictures. I have since replaced it with several other Canons (P&Ss, not DSLRs).

Ive looked at DSLR’s but given that most pof my photos are taking while walking the dogs and so I only have one hand to operate the camera I find a DSLR too complicated and needing too much adjustment that isnt possible one handed.

I have not gone quite as far as a DSLR either. It would be nice but I would then be tempted by expensive lenses which I could hardly afford and likely seldom use. I take, as example, some close up lenses I bought for my bridge camera (it has screw fitting for extension lenses / filters – another useful point). They ae good for macro shots but not something easily adapted for variations on requirements when out walking, so I seldom use them. A P&S is far more practical for my mobile use. I think that with a DSLR the type of shot you are going to take and even where an what are useful for setting up first. I find I take photographs of various things from animals, plants, insects and landscapes to even aeroplanes when I am out so even a modern P&S can get complicated enough.

2 users liked this post:

Ive been asked about my photos quite a few times and Ive been told I should publish some .. Then someone sent me a link to an online self publishing photo website that allows you to set up store and offer photos for sale so I decided I would give it a go..

Im not expecting anything much but its nice to have work out there..https://zoe-m.picfair.com/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!