Do You Use The Bus?

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat Do You Use The Bus?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I do with regularity. I catch the bus every week to my job. I also catch a different bus to meet up with a good friend. Plus, when I’m staying at my friend’s flat, we often catch the bus around & about town. I do quite enjoy using the bus. I can’t drive, though, so I don’t really have a choice. BUT it is enjoyable to be with the people and just live your life. I guess I will always be a bus user.

Over to you!

I’m not really a fan of taking a bus.  I like my privacy in my car, and like to listen to my music and such.  I feel safer, and also I have more convenience since I can get where I’m going quicker, and I can transport things if I need to.  I also don’t like how busses confuse me, and I hate having to change at different stops to get where I’m trying to go.

I enjoyed riding a bus when I was in Chicago, it was easy to get on one from almost anywhere that would take me straight back to my hotel 🙂

I dont here in town its a small place so easier and quicker to cycle, we have a fantastic cycle path network ..

For the big shopping or trips out with the dogs we use the car but I do love the train here 96%on time and clean. So I like doing day trips by train or getting the eurostar to London..

When I lived in Germany, I took public transportation all the time.  Unless you live in a major metropolis, public transportation isn’t all that great here in the US.  I’ve used public transportation in other areas of the country, like Denver (light rail) and Newark (drove from Philadelphia and took train to NYC), but I haven’t used it on a regular basis since I came back from Germany in 1986.

I like to use public transport when on holiday as it usually means a long drive to get there which leaves me fed up of the car. It’s a good way of getting a feel of life locally and can be easier, particularly now roads are very crowded and differing local restrictions for cars are in force. Most places have tourist tickets which cover a set period from a few days onwards so Ok for hop on – hop off.

Mostly while at home the car is more practical as the bus service is not good. When I am going into the centre of town though I do use the train as it takes far less time than the bus, and the trains are hourly during the day. I could travel most places by train if the service existed but mostly it does not and trains to distant destinations are either expensive or the cheaper fare system (online reduced tickets) is too involved or non-existant for other than trips planned a long time in advance.

In my view the train service ought to be integrated with the bus service with tickets covering both so simplifying travel, and tickets simplified too. It was a while ago I went on a mainline train but it was interesting to see at least half a dozen different types of ticket being used.

2 users liked this post:

@spinningjen  we have that intergrated card here its called an OV or openbaar vervoer (public transport ) card a bit like the oyster cards used in London for the bus and tube except this will take you anywhere in the Netherlands on the  bus, tram or mainline train.

Plus our bus service all matches train times so when you get off a train you know you have 8-10 minutes before your bus will leave the station.

It is very well co-ordinated here.

1 member liked this post:

Newark (drove from Philadelphia and took train to NYC)

Oops, make that Trenton, NJ…must have had Newark on the brain.

I sometimes catch the train to Newark (here in the Uk though as it is not far and is a nice town with good riverside walks) , but New York would be a bigger problem as there is no station and I am not sure how the bus service is lol.  It is a tiny place that I have often passed through and used to visit a patient there:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_Lincolnshire .

1 member liked this post:

I sometimes catch the train to Newark (here in the Uk though as it is not far and is a nice town with good riverside walks) , but New York would be a bigger problem as there is no station and I am not sure how the bus service is lol. It is a tiny place that I have often passed through and used to visit a patient there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_Lincolnshire .

Haha here in Friesland we have a Zurich and a Moscow and some woods called Turkey and Greece.. We can travel most of Europe in a morning !!

I am surprised at how popular this thread is! I never knew so many people enjoyed using the bus. Because using the bus is a great place to meet people.

Anyhow, I will always be a bus user: whether in England, Greece, Spain or Rome. Buses connect people, too. I think this thread has shown that!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!