Fair to ban heels from venues?

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Fashion & Lifestyle Fair to ban heels from venues?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TestDummyCO 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Hi Ladies,

I wanted to ask your thoughts on venues that ask women not to wear heels to protect their floors. Do you think this is ok or not? Also have any of you been in such a situation too?

Ive been to museums that have very old beechwood floors and they ask ladies not to wear heels. Seems resonable a beutiful floor thats survived hundreds of years and two world wars shouldnt be ruined by someone trotting about poking holes in it with their heels like a giant woodworm.

1 member liked this post:

I suppose so, but wouldn’t be right to not give advance warning and make someone walk around barefoot I personally would continue to wear heels if I’ve no change of shoes. Floors are dirty places afterall.

I think most historical or stately homes do inform people on their websites, however I feel that if requested to remove your shoes and you dont want to then the polite thing to do is leave …

damage caused by heels at the Odeon in Athens, a stone theater built in the year 161 A.D has caused Greek authorities to ban heels..

Im sorry but ignoring such a rule is rude and arrogant. Its a question of respect.

It’s surprising how heels have damaged stone.  I wouldn’t have expected that’s.

I think that having disposable slippers for you to wear would be a nice thing for a venue to do, in case you didn’t know about their rules in advance. They probably wouldn’t need to go through too many of them a day, and that would save anyone having to go barefoot.

I think I’ve also seen foldable shoes that go in a purse, so maybe have those with you when you’re wearing heels? Just in case…

Thoughts from a woman who avoid heels… 😉

Yeah, I really don’t see the need to wear heels if I’m going to be doing a lot of standing or walking, like in a museum or on a walking tour…even to my office, where I usually park about a half mile away.  Non-marking soles would be wise as well.

Evening ,

I would like to point out from a builders point of view , i have laid timber floor,s lovely to behold and after putting them down and nailing them then punch the nails in putty the nail holes and then on with the coatings to keep them nice and easy to clean ,i took pride in what i did , so you can see how i feel about some one trotting around doing damage to floor,s we have done over the years to be destroyed in a moment of some one denting our work,

I spend day,s doing this on different contract,s = job,s .yes this female is a builder.i have heels and no i dont wear them at our dancing evening,s , i wear flat shoe,s i,m tall enough any way,

…noeleena…

3 users liked this post:

I find that I am very heavy on heels and tend to wear the tips out quickly. I can imagine that they are not good for floors. In some places they maybe look in horror at their floors after a while with ordinary black shoes as they can leave black scuff marks. I remember being told not to wear black soled trainers when I first started playing squash at college.

I don’t bother with heels anyway: they are too uncomfortable and I feel terribly awkward when I try to walk in them. Hence why the “No heels” rule wouldn’t bother me or make me up in arms.

I do agree that those floors are precious [for lack of a better word] and if heels aren’t allowed, heels aren’t allowed. It isn’t too much of a sacrifice to forego heels for an hour or two in an historical building. There’s nothing wrong with flats anyway. I KNOW heels are glamorous – and the woman wants to look her best – but she would have to accept she’ll walk in flats as long as she is in the building.

I just feel as though all shoes cause damage such as stones stuck in soles of trainers so why ban solely heels from such places. Seems a bit unfair wouldn’t you think? They may as well tell everyone to walk barefoot.

This is why, like many people, we don’t wear shoes around the house.

3 users liked this post:

We dont either and its quite normal here for people to take their shoes or clogs off at the door when they come in.

I completely understand you but I’m more so referring to public venues

I completely understand you but I’m more so referring to public venues

I treat every public venue and every other home with the same respect I would expect someone to show my home .

2 users liked this post:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!