Fair to ban heels from venues?

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Fashion & Lifestyle Fair to ban heels from venues?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TestDummyCO 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

This is why, like many people, we don’t wear shoes around the house.

I completely understand you but I’m more so referring to public venues

I treat every public venue and every other home with the same respect I would expect someone to show my home .

Surely, public venues expect wear and tear anyway so why should one person in heels make a difference. In peoples homes it makes sense but in public spaces a floor is a floor at the end of the day, it shouldn’t be up to the person walking on it to determine if their shoes are suitable or not.

As Cassandra first implied, perhaps a modern floor can be made tough enough but many places here are old and the floors are more fragile and expensive to repair. One has only to walk into some of these old building though to really see the test of time. Old castles in which the stone steps have worn down. In a throw away society perhaps it does not matter but I do like to imagine in some places I visit that people were walking up such steps or across floors 1000 or more years ago. Is it for the vanity of a few people that this would be prematurely destroyed?

As an example – Look into a carpeted room and see how fresh the carpet looks under a sofa rather than around it where everyone walks. Imagine a wooden floor with everyone walking in channels in a similar way. All the wear and nasty scuffs would be in the channels. With modern design this can be allowed for, but difficult with old so better to spread the impact force and wear.

2 users liked this post:

This is why, like many people, we don’t wear shoes around the house.

I completely understand you but I’m more so referring to public venues

I treat every public venue and every other home with the same respect I would expect someone to show my home .

Surely, public venues expect wear and tear anyway so why should one person in heels make a difference. In peoples homes it makes sense but in public spaces a floor is a floor at the end of the day, it shouldn’t be up to the person walking on it to determine if their shoes are suitable or not.

Im sorry but as I have said several times its about respect,  Im sad that it not of importance to you.

1 member liked this post:

I never did understand from a hygiene point why you’d wear shoes inside a home. Unless I’m running back inside at the last moment for an item I’ve forgotten (all too common for me) or rushing to the bathroom (also happens more than I’d like) I want to take my footwear off to avoid bringing the dirt of outside into the main areas of the house. Culturally, keeping the shoes on is not universal either – if you think of Japan, where the shoes come off outside…

In a public space, I’d expect to keep my shoes on unless there are instructions otherwise. I’d totally understand if I were asked to replace my (presumably) dirty shoes with a clean alternative like the disposable slippers I mentioned, or just walk around in my socks/stockings/hose. I can always wash if I get dirty, but I can’t replace a damaged floor. At least we don’t get our feet as dirty as they did back in Israel in the first century. 😉

2 users liked this post:

so why should one person in heels make a difference.

It’s not just one person.  Over time, it can amount to thousands.  There is no utility in heels, only vanity.  If one insists on wearing heels and has no respect for the facility’s rules, she can spend her money elsewhere.  It’s that simple.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!