Home » Topics » General Discussion » General Chat » Favourite Christmas decorations

Favourite Christmas decorations

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

What are some of your most prized ornaments or other decorations at this time of year?

I probably have too many under this category. I’ll start with my Montreal Canadiens tree ornament, plus a few handmade wooden ornaments a friend made and painted.

Sadly I have none of my original ornaments we were the subject of a burglary many years ago and one of the things they took was our Christmas tree and  ornaments.

however in the years since I have bought quite a few beautiful hand blown glass baubles from Germany. I think the fragility and luster of hand-blown baubles is far superior to the mass-produced plastic kind you get nowadays.

I agree with the hand blown glass baubles Cassandra. I love putting up mum’s tree every year. She now only uses a modern plastic tree, for convenience, but still has many of the old baubles that she had when we children were little. Quite a few have gone, over the ages, but there are lots left and many are still perfect. I love the hand painting. You can tell them from modern from the other side of the room. It’s a chore to get them out and put them away each year, as they have always been individually wrapped in toilet tissue, but they are well protected.

Cassandra, I’m sorry someone would steal decorations rather than ask around for free ones! Some of our collection comes from free “rejects” other folks didn’t need.

I have glass ornaments that I love as well. The labels on the original boxes said they were made in West Germany and that got my interest when going through the free decorations about five years ago. Plus they were sold in Canada at Eaton’s, which closed down years ago. Not only are the ornaments beautiful, but they represent history in two countries to me. I put some of them up on garland where the dining room meets the living room (open layout on the main floor) and didn’t find another spot yet for the rest. Every year is a little bit different for my decorating ideas!

[quote quote=221366]Cassandra, I’m sorry someone would steal decorations rather than ask around for free ones! Some of our collection comes from free “rejects” other folks didn’t need.

I have glass ornaments that I love as well. The labels on the original boxes said they were made in West Germany and that got my interest when going through the free decorations about five years ago. Plus they were sold in Canada at Eaton’s, which closed down years ago. Not only are the ornaments beautiful, but they represent history in two countries to me. I put some of them up on garland where the dining room meets the living room (open layout on the main floor) and didn’t find another spot yet for the rest. Every year is a little bit different for my decorating ideas!

[/quote]

You know the worst thing was we knew who had robbed us but couldnt prove it. It was our old next door neighbours and they put that tree up in their living room window complete with the decorations they had stolen bold as brass. Mind you we lived in a village and word soon spread, to say they became unpopular would be an understatement!

If your decorations say West Germany it would indicate they are pre 1988 and certainly carry history.

I also  only put my winter queen on the top of the tree when everything else is finished,  anyone else have a tradition of how they decorate?

[quote quote=221387]

You know the worst thing was we knew who had robbed us but couldnt prove it. It was our old next door neighbours and they put that tree up in their living room window complete with the decorations they had stolen bold as brass. Mind you we lived in a village and word soon spread, to say they became unpopular would be an understatement!

If your decorations say West Germany it would indicate they are pre 1988 and certainly carry history.

I also only put my winter queen on the top of the tree when everything else is finished, anyone else have a tradition of how they decorate?

[/quote]

I am very  sorry to hear that Cassandra. It really rubs salt into the wound.  I did look at your original post and wonder. I could not really imagine someone stealing a Christmas tree but obviously it happens. To see it would really infuriate me.

Every year I think of making old fashioned chains and tree decorations but the fact that the ones we have are perfectly Ok means I never do. I remember how I made them at first school.

Our tree is modern fibre optic (although perhaps twenty years old) so we don’t use baubles although we have some. Mum has a couple of different toppings for the tree. I put that on last too. This year it was the fairy (or it could be an angel – it appears home made but I’m not sure by who).

I love these mini Swedish fabric santa’s. They are so cute! My nan gave them to my sister years ago: we put them on the tree every single year.

I love Christmas!Oh: I caught the Christmas post. I am Miss Organized.

I don’t really have many that please me anymore.

I used to have some  musical lights, and a talking santa, but I don’t anymore

I suppose these days anything with lights on it

and I do like mistletoe as well

I don’t really have any prized ornaments, as I like them all equally…though I must say I’m excited about new ones I purchased this year…the novelty will fade next year.  LOL

Since 2000, my Christmas decoration theme colors are gold and cream.  Until I downloaded these pictures from the site, I didn’t realize that the bulbs were mouth blown and hand painted.  They’re thicker than my other glass ornaments and those I remember from my youth.

[attachment file=221671]
    [attachment file=221672]

Beautiful!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!