Film or book?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Daisybraille 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Which do you prefer?

So for example, Harry Potter, (assuming you read them), did you prefer the books or the films?

I would say both. The only thing that annoyed me with the films, is they didnt have Peeves, which was a shame.

The Shining. Fantastic book, hated the film.

Salems Lot. One of my favourite books of all time. Brilliant. Film was garbage. They changed so much, it really annoyed me.

Needful Things. Great book, terrible film. They didnt show the fight between Netty and Wilma. Classic, but gory.

Which books that have been made into films can you think of? And which did you prefer?

I couldn’t believe how awful the Time Traveller’s Wife was when it got to film. It was an amazing book, so different to anything I had seen before it.

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. Awesome book, even better on film, and each had a different lead character. Pure genius.

It depends. Harry Potter is definitely better film than book. Same as DaVinci Code.
    Gone with the wind , book is better. Same with The Great Gasby.

I choose books over films every time. I am a book addict and devour as many as I can. I am always borrowing my books from the library. [A super cool place.]

I am like Kitty and choose the books over films every time. The books always seem to go into more detail.

1 member liked this post:

I love both but I do find I get tingly at the moment in a romcom when you know the 2 leads are going to get it together, I am a softy.

I haven’t seen the movies of most books I’ve read and vice versa.  I believe, it’s impossible to accurately convey the inner thoughts of the characters on film. Some actors are really good at conveying emotion with just a look.  I guess, that’s what makes them good actors.

🙂

I generally prefer book over film. I find it far easier and more satisfying to get absorbed in the story.

Books are good iin the sense that you can reread the best bits again instantly and nothing better then sitting in the garden on a warm day engrossed in a good story ( sod getting the tea ! )

2 users liked this post:

I usually like books better, because you get so much more depth of story, and you get to know your characters so much better.  Like when you read Harry Potter, you get inside his life for a whole year, and you really learn about his thoughts and dreams which just don’t translate to film well, you know what I mean?  I just loved following him to his classes, and all those little things movies just don’t have time for.

One time I do prefer the movie is Dune, I found that book to be so very stuffy and dry, but I loved the movie with with Patrick Stewart, I used to watch that with my father all the time when I was younger.

2 users liked this post:

I always prefer reading a book before the film. It helps me understand what pictures do not tell me. I know the story by advance so I can benefit better. Books are always deeper : you cannot say in 2 hours max what is written on a little more than 100 pages ! The movy writer must have a good spirit of synthesis, a gift to sum it all up correctly.
    In France they have some good movy writers who made good adaptations.
    Excuse me I do not know if I use the good vocabulary.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!