Finance: Near Broke

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 3 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Thankfully I am very organized and have done all my Christmas shopping but I am walking the line. I am also lucky that my family help finance my life. I would like more money of my own, however. But – again – I have bills to pay and they take priority.

How are you managing your finances?

I too am well organised and fairly frugal in not taking exotic holidays or other expensive things (although it would be nice) so get by without major hassle most of the time. Luckily the mortgage is paid so we don’t have that major outgoing.

We took a major hit when OH had to give up working and then again when I gave up work to become his carer although Ive managed to  claim a small allowance to cover 10 hours a week ( I used to work 24).

We use all sorts of tricks to save money. I shop once a month across the border and save a ton on shopping that way, meat, some household products and all  personal products like shampoo razors shower gel are cheaper there.

Then I have my Christmas saving pot just  €10 a week and when December comes I dont feel any strain while buying gifts.

I check out all the competition when it comes to utility companies and insurence. Sometimes just switching a supplier can save a whole load of money.

I think we do ok, but I must admit it gets a little harder to find saving each year..

Today I paid my water, gas and TV licence. It all adds up. Fortunately I am an incredibly organized person and know where every penny goes. However, I did have a blow out last week, which I now have to compensate for by not spending a lot this week and the next. But – as I’ve said in a previous post – I have done all my Christmas shopping. My grandmother also gave me some money. And I have a regular income, which makes sorting my finances and being responsible easy. I am not a tight wad, but I do not want my electric or gas cut off and I need to pay the telephone service each month or – again – I’d have that cut off. I can not live without the Internet or do my work without it. Many are of the same mind, I reckon.

Anyhow, knowing my finances is a lifesaver.

You have reminded me that the TV license is due at the end of the month. A Christmas treat! I am well organised too and have a spreadsheet with the figures. It helps with planning and seeing trends. You can maybe tell why my son is an accountant lol. I am working my way through the shopping. I tend to get a bit depressed just before Christmas so sometimes do not enjoy it, even though I love shopping. You are best not to have anything cut off Kitty. I think it often requires a re-connection charge to put on again, and with electricity, likely put on a more expensive tariff. Our telephone is on direct debit, but it can be so easy to dial an hidden charegable number. I slipped up, and only noticed when I read the bill yesterday, that I had called to chase a problem with an order and used what was a charegable non geographical number when I could have used their freephone one. Many companies are starting to use these. Not that expensive but more than zero!

Having a spreadsheet is a lifesaver, isn’t it? I have been keeping one for several years now. Oh: my sister works for an accounting firm. She’s a genius with numbers. I am rather jealous! Anyhow, I hope you get that issue sorted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!