Flowers and Plants

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  SpinningJen 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I have a small plant box on my apartment balcony that I have unsuccessfully attempted to keep flowers and plants alive. Are there any ladies here that have that “Green Thumb” that can offer up any tips of keeping plants and flowers alive other than watering them regularly which I have done?

i love eating rose and orchid petals and have never had problems with proper watering, pesticides and fertilizers. consult with your local flowerist for support. too much water will kill flowers.

i love eating rose and orchid petals and have never had problems with proper watering, pesticides and fertilizers. consult with your local flowerist for support. too much water will kill flowers.

I think my problem is the location of the plant box and it gets too much sun and it kills them.

Not many plants get killed with too much sun. Some plants change their leaf type depending on how sunny it is. Ideally you should choose your plants by type which thrive in the conditions you are giving them. One good fact I read is that there are no plants that are difficult to grow. It is that you are not giving them their usual evironment. Plants attempt to live and breed. Your best idea is to ask at a garden centre locally (or look online).

My favouite for failrly carefree growing and survival with neglect are cacti. They don’t like damp conditions though. Some types flower yearly, but others far more seldom. Some succulents are similar and more colourful.

1 member liked this post:

I’m sorry, Tearknee.  I have a black thumb.  I no longer have house plants.  I DO have some iris bulbs which came with the house.  I don’t do anything with those…they just keep coming back every year.

The best I have done was buy and plant petunias, pansies and impatiens in large planters every year.

I’m sorry, Tearknee. I have a black thumb. I no longer have house plants. I DO have some iris bulbs which came with the house. I don’t do anything with those…they just keep coming back every year. The best I have done was buy and plant petunias, pansies and impatiens in large planters every year.

I think I might turn to cactus.😊

Even with cactus, its worth checking different species as some are hardier than others. Most are Ok inside, but I have some here in the Uk which survive as long as they don’t get too damp, even in our winters, and get snow on them. Most that I keep outside though, I put in the unheated greenhouse in the winter. Alpine plants a worth a look too. I have one or two which keep growing in any conditions. They can be far prettier and you have to be less careful in handling than cacti.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!