Grimethorpe my dear heart-twinned village

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat Grimethorpe my dear heart-twinned village

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Daisybraille 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Grimethorpe is a little village in South Yorkshire (United Kingdom).
    I heard about Grimethorpe thanks the programme Listen to the band, talking about Brassed Off, the black comedy realized by Mark Herman.
    First I didn’t pay too much attention to Grimethorpe and Brassed Off. I just thought it was an interesting film, with musical and social values.
    But my mum passed away in 2016, and music helped me alot, took a great part in my resilience…
    And in 2017, the Grimethorpe Colliery Band celebrated its 100th birthday, so I heard about this film again, and I understood the situation better.
    Grimethorpe suffered alot because of the closure of coal mines, consequently unemployment, lots of devastated families, lots of people leaving the place for a new job… But…
    We have lost our job, but not our talents ! Thanks the band which won the championship, Grimethorpe could stand up again !
    I feel with this village a great affinity. I wanted to correspond with someone living there, alone at home because of the lost of a dear beloved, whatever the circumstances. But because of the new rules concerning privacy, my data couldn’t be given to anyone.
    If you know someone in Grimethorpe, please, please, tell him/her about me and we’ll do our best to keep in touch with obediance to modern laws !
    I hope I haven’t written pigeon English and that you understand me.
    Thanks for your help.
    Linda/Daisybraille

I’m afraid I have no connections to Grimethorpe, Daisybraille, but – fingers crossed – someone will be on here to do so.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks Kitkatkitty for your reply. Fingers crossed, I hope something will happen one day.
    Next year (2019) I hope to hear and meet Grimethorpe Colliery Band during the Limoux Brass Festival (France).
    All my love,
    Linda/Daisybraille

I do not know anyone from Grimethorpe either, but just to say, I do know some ex mineworkers and families from South Yorkshire. I do know that there is considerable hatred still toward the government from them so it is best to keep to the twinning village connection and being careful about mentioning loss of jobs until you get to know someone. They are very friendly, but proud of their heritage.

Dear SpinningJen,
    Many thanks for your message.
    I need to write a little correction : when I speak about twinning, it is in an affective area. Grimethorpe is twinned with my heart, not with any municipality. I don’t want to have any problems with what we call here in Belgium the municipality !!!
    Concerning the other problem, it was just to explain to those who do not know about the film and the story it tells.
    Right. Now I promise not to speak about it anymore. I feel too much love for Grimethorpe and I don’t want to be the source of tourments in any case.
    You told me you know mineworkers and families. If allowed and possible, I would be interested to keep in touch with one of them.
    If this post causes the least trouble to Grimethorpe and its inhabitants, feel free to suppress it. I just needed to talk about it to someone.
    Forgive me.
    Lots of love,

Linda/Daisybraille

Don’t worry Linda, I am not trying to speak harshly and put you off. I was just worried that you may blunder into the past and get nasty reactions from some of the local people which would put you off, as you would probably not fully understand. The post will not cause trouble. Feel free to talk. Look up the miners strike for info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_miners%27_strike_(1984%E2%80%9385)

I am not sure of about contact with the mineworkers. The friends I have are from a job I had so I am only is loose contact with them myself. I think as a first step you could look on Facebook. There are various local groups (as well as one specifically for the band, but that would be more general). If you got onto one of the groups you could look and get to know the community, as well as people.

1 member liked this post:

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I do not have Facebook but more and more I think it would be interesting to subscribe.
    Thanks for your informations. I’ll look at Wikipédia as you suggested.
    Lots of love !

Grimethorpe is a little village in South Yorkshire (United Kingdom).

I heard about Grimethorpe thanks the programme Listen to the band, talking about Brassed Off, the black comedy realized by Mark Herman.

First I didn’t pay too much attention to Grimethorpe and Brassed Off. I just thought it was an interesting film, with musical and social values.

But my mum passed away in 2016, and music helped me alot, took a great part in my resilience…

And in 2017, the Grimethorpe Colliery Band celebrated its 100th birthday, so I heard about this film again, and I understood the situation better.

Grimethorpe suffered alot because of the closure of coal mines, consequently unemployment, lots of devastated families, lots of people leaving the place for a new job… But…

We have lost our job, but not our talents ! Thanks the band which won the championship, Grimethorpe could stand up again !

I feel with this village a great affinity. I wanted to correspond with someone living there, alone at home because of the lost of a dear beloved, whatever the circumstances. But because of the new rules concerning privacy, my data couldn’t be given to anyone.

If you know someone in Grimethorpe, please, please, tell him/her about me and we’ll do our best to keep in touch with obediance to modern laws !

I hope I haven’t written pigeon English and that you understand me.

Thanks for your help.

Linda/Daisybraille

I have sent you contact details for grimethorpe by personal message. I live not far from there…

Thanks Acherrystone. I’ll see if there is no possibility to send an email, which is easier for me.
    Love,
    Linda/Daisybraille

You are welcome. 🙂

If you want any more info, please inbox me.

I tried to phone to the mentionned number, dear Acherrystone, but I have been told it’s a drink place ! Does the miners welfare institute still exist ? They have no mail… Sorry !
    Thank you.
    Where do you live near Grimethorpe ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!