Hacking Alert: Take Caution

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Work & Careers Hacking Alert: Take Caution

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Someone from France hacked one of my email accounts. I have gotten it in time and have changed all my passwords. Microsoft alerted me to unusual activity on one of my accounts. Fortunately the hacker does not know my mobile phone number. Microsoft use it for me to confirm my identity. Now, I am definitely not in France and am rubbish at speaking it, so it couldn’t be me.

Exorcise caution with your email accounts and do be vigilant. Cybercrime is very real and can happen to anybody.

1 member liked this post:

In the past I’ve used a variation of the same password for many of my accounts, although not the same username/password combination.  Still, that’s not really safe.  It’s quite hard to come up with unique passwords for 68 accounts…and every site has their own password rules!  So, I just started using a password manager (vault) for my personal accounts.

It does an amazing job of generating unique, random, difficult-to-hack, passwords.  Considering that I’ve stored information for 68 accounts in the password vault.  It also looks to see if any of those passwords (or old ones) have been found on the dark web.  It also keeps track of password ages and tells you when they need to be changed.  I also have the browser extension for this vault.  When you visit a web site, all you need to do is click in the username field.   If the password is stored in the vault, it will prompt you.  You don’t even need to remember the password!  The extension won’t sign you into bogus site.

Even though the passwords are difficult to hack, it’s still possible.  All a hacker needs is time, which is why they should be changed every 90 days, at a minimum.

I’ve also just purchased an authentication key to be used with my password vault.  I haven’t gotten it yet, so I’m not quite sure how it works with it.  Hopefully, with that, I can get away from using my cell phone to authenticate.

I know that the following articles refer to cryptocurrency; however, I don’t think it would be much of a stretch to say it could happen to other types of accounts:

One man lost his life savings in a SIM hack. Here’s how you can try to protect yourself

Mechanics of a Crypto Heist: How SIM Swappers Can Steal Cryptocurrency

I had an account which was not hacked a few days ago. The hurdles I had to follow to reset things worried me almost as much as if it had been. I had just mixed things up creating supicious behaviour.

We should all be vigilant, I don’t do any banking online but check our accounts. You should always make sure you log off when leaving your bank as that can be a gateway for the criminals too.

1 member liked this post:

Having to change all my passwords was a pain, but a necessary one. I keep all my passwords in a notebook  beside my computer. Even I can’t remember them! LOL.

Anyhow, I am hoping the hacker is completely blocked. There has been some unusual activity on Instagram. But as for Facebook: Facebook was blocked straight away. I had to enter a code to unlock my account, which worked. Facebook are stars in that sense. I don’t know what would’ve happened if they allowed my account to be hacked. AND why the hacker targeted me I do not know. I am annoyed and frustrated and hope he/she feels the same now they’re blocked. I don’t care that they’re French and speak a fancy laanguage: they are criminals.

I hate criminals and hope they get their comeuppance: or worse.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!