Hairdresser. A distant memory!

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat Hairdresser. A distant memory!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  SpinningJen 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

It would seem that the site of a hairdresser is going to be a distant memory soon. So I have been reading regarding the current climate that we are going to have to wait at least another couple of months before any of them are going to be open again. I’m going to assume also that to get an appointment once they are is will be like finding a hens tooth for a while. I have seen a few videos of people taking matters into there own hands with varying results

How have you been doing with your hair?

I am fortunate in the fact that I just have a long bob. I can dye my own and I learnt to cut my own fringe quite some time ago. So within reason, I can continue for the time being.  But are you in a situation where you can look after it yourself until its back to some resemblance of normality or is it an OMG I can’t do anything with these locks?

My hair sounds pretty similar to yours Rowena. It is sort of just off my shoulders at present and is behaving itself. I am being gentle with it and just letting it grow. I have a straight fringe so can easily cut it myself. One of my pairs of sewing scissors are actually hairdressing scissors so work well 🙂 I am not sure what my hairdresser will do.

I have short hair and it’s very thick so once it starts to grow it turns into a real mop.. I had it cut in February just before lock down here,  I’ve already put thinning scissors through it just to keep it a little bit under control but yes it’s growing.

last week’s lockdown eased and hairdressers here reopened ,of course there was a flood of people who wanted appointments our local hairdresser is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and they have social distance by moving part of their salon into an empty shop across the road that way they can move the chairs a good safe distance apart but even so I don’t really want a hairdresser who has cut maybe 10 or 15 people’s hair that day to start putting her hands on my head my face and getting up real close to me thank you very much but I would rather look a mess than look dead…

1 member liked this post:

I don’t really want a hairdresser who has cut maybe 10 or 15 people’s hair that day to start putting her hands on my head my face and getting up real close to me thank you very much but I would rather look a mess than look dead…

That’s a really good point actually. When they do reopen are we going to trust the hairdresser to be virus-free? I don’t think anyone has even considered that. I suppose in a way its how much do you want/need your hair done and how much you would put faith in the virus concern is over if your told it is. Without getting too political. ( I don’t do politics) Could you trust their assurances?

Sometimes I wish I was a fella. Just a pair of clippers and proceed to have a buzz cut all over. All done. lol

I know this sounds horrible but Im waiting … After about 3 weeks we should know if the infection rate is rising again. At the moment its falling with yesterday 45 new cases regestered in hospital and 27 deaths countrywide. In my province there has been only 1 death since may 2nd, 2 new cases and 10 people have left hospital…

So if it does go up then I know , no hairdresser for me.. But if the infection rate continues to fall then I will chance it..maybe!

I find it interesting although I err on the side of caution. Over my many years in healthcare I worked both on the hospital wards and out in the community, on more than a few occasions coming across people without knowing until it was really too late that they had some nasty infection. Luckily I never caught anything from them, as far as I know. My feeling here is that, mostly, it is over-reaction from the press. Yes I may get it, and, hopefully not, be badly affected. My take is still to be sensible and carry on with your life. No I would not, at present, go to the hairdresser. It’s not that important. I will not stop living though. Be sensible but keep your spirits up. My feeling is that hiding away in depression is almost as bad as crowding on the beach. Low spirits help, not hinder, disease.

My son who has gorgeous thick dark hair has been cutting his own hair for about a year and he does a great job. In fact, last time I saw him I thought he broke down and went to the barber, but no. I have a pixie cut and I’m thinking of letting him give my hair a go. I have not had a haircut since January and my hair is pretty out of shape. If I could cut my own hair, I’d never go to a hairdresser again. Well, maybe I’ll check out YouTube, that’s where my son learned to cut his hair.

I NEED a haircut.

I hate not having access to a hairdresser: my hair really needs cutting. I have asked my sister to do it, but she refuses. She did shave my dad’s hair, so I don’t know why she won’t take the scissors to mine!

I feel all your frustrations, people.

I badly needed a haircut but have a friend who does it part time, however she had stopped because of the lockdown. Only today though she came out to me and cut my hair outside after I had washed it and it was still wet. She also wore a face mask and a visor, I think she had looked at recommendations online.

I’m lucky in that I have long, wavy hair down to my waist that I trim only every four months.  I last visited my stylist for my normal March appointment on the 14th, just before the lockdown.  I don’t dye my hair, either.  So, I’m good until July.

Whatever you do, keep this in mind.  LOL

Attachments:
    3 users liked this post:

I bought a hairband today… This is the longest my hair has been for about 30 years and it was blowing all over the place and getting in my eyes so Ive brushed it back and put a hairband on to keep it in place …OH is charmed and loves it…

I was thinking of getting mine out the other day but, except for the end of the week. It has been still here. I often use to use it, or clips, when cycling but I haven’t been out on my bike for some time. Taht’s the trouble with a cluttered shed lol.

I had my hair in every way; very long with clip or hairband, braids or ponytail or backconb like ’60 years😂

Some time I cut them very short (I haven’t middle ground) but in this way many often  you have to go hairdresser and I don’t like this.

Now I ‘m 47 years old and the first white hair are coming and also first wrinkles on my face. So if I would have a short cut I have to make up my face for younger look but I don’t always want wear makeup every morning.

So now I have a very short fringe that I cut by myself; it hides the white hair and gives character to  the shape of the cut.

They are growing behind so I use a clip for nor to seem like a mop.

In the morning I make up my eyes only with mascara and my lips with thin lipstik of the right color for my umor. When I get up in the morning and I feel particulary ugly, I give a nice coat of fondation cream

In the morning I make up my eyes only with mascara and my lips with thin lipstik of the right color for my umor. When I get up in the morning and I feel particulary ugly, I give a nice coat of fondation cream

That’s interesting. I think I am a morning person as usually when I get up and look in the mirror I think that my complexion is looking at it’s best. Before all the stresses of the day begin to take their toll.

If I am staying inside, after my morning wash I just use moisturising cream all over, but if going out I use high spf (30) on my face and shoulders and foundation on my face as well, followed by powder to mattify things. I use lipstick. partly for looks and partly for protection. It is maybe not as good as proper lip protection but better than nothing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!