Hi girls! I'm a new member!

Female Forum Forums Getting Started Introductions Hi girls! I'm a new member!

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KitKatKitty KitKatKitty 3 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone! I’m Linda and I’m from Italy

I have to do practice with the english language and I decided to listen my teacher to search a forum where I can read and answer some questions in english. It is a good exercise, isn’t it? What do you think about it?

Tell me if there are some mistakes, than I can learn better.

Bye 🙂

Hi Linda,welcome to the forum. My daughter is going to Italy this week. Which part are you in?

Make yourself at home, and if you have any questions, just ask. Lovely to have you with us,

1 member liked this post:

Hi Linda 😊

Welcome to the forum.

I think it is a very good idea as you will learn, what is more like, written conversational English. Just beware though that there are many different styles, local differences and shortcuts which are completely different to ‘formal English’.

For instance: Your last paragraph – “Tell me if there are some mistakes, than I can learn better.” is understandable, I would think, to anyone here who uses English, but the grammar is wrong in at least one way and does indicate someone for whom English is not their first language.

I think it would be better put: “Tell me when I make a mistake. It would help me to learn.” . Others may have a different opinion on the ideal, but English is so variable and American English is slightly different from UK English.

Another thing to note, and I include myself, is that we all make errors in spelling and grammar all the time so don’t assume that if an English speaking person writes something, they have got it right.

That said – you will learn a lot from ‘communicating’, both in day to day written text and ideally talking to English speaking people.

Good luck!

I look forward to your joining in with our conversations.

Jen x

Hi Souxi, thank you very much!! 🙂

So, I’m from Brescia, a city near Milan, in the North Italy but since Jenuary I live in Vicenza with my boyfriend.  Where is your daughter going?

Hi Linda 😊 Welcome to the forum. I think it is a very good idea as you will learn, what is more like, written conversational English. Just beware though that there are many different styles, local differences and shortcuts which are completely different to ‘formal English’. For instance: Your last paragraph – “Tell me if there are some mistakes, than I can learn better.” is understandable, I would think, to anyone here who uses English, but the grammar is wrong in at least one way and does indicate someone for whom English is not their first language. I think it would be better put: “Tell me when I make a mistake. It would help me to learn.” . Others may have a different opinion on the ideal, but English is so variable and American English is slightly different from UK English. Another thing to note, and I include myself, is that we all make errors in spelling and grammar all the time so don’t assume that if an English speaking person writes something, they have got it right. That said – you will learn a lot from ‘communicating’, both in day to day written text and ideally talking to English speaking people. Good luck! I look forward to your joining in with our conversations. Jen x

Hi SpinningJen, thank you very much for correcting my mistakes. Now I have to correct the same phrase I put in my profile 😀

I say sorry to everyone if a write a little but sometimes it’s very difficult for me to explain in detail what I think. But a little at a time I hope to succeed 🙂

Anyway thank you again because you are a very good community! Friendly, nice ad kind community!!

😊

See you soon

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Profile photo of TheLeveret TheLeveret.

She’s going to Venice Linda. She is very excited about it.

She’s going to Venice Linda. She is very excited about it.

Wow! That’s good! I’ve never been to Venice but it’s only about 1 hour frome the place where I live. But I know Venice is good! It’s a characteristic city. I would like to go there as soon as possible. At the moment me and my boyfriend have a lot to do. I hope your daughter is having fun… and I hope she likes Italian food! 😃

Hi Linda.

I’m a newbie myself and just write, write, write …

Many greetings to bella Italia!

I love lasagne, tortellini and all the other bad pasta stuff. Not to mention risotto and the terrific desserts.

Hi and welcome

Hi Linda. I’m a newbie myself and just write, write, write … Many greetings to bella Italia! I love lasagne, tortellini and all the other bad pasta stuff. Not to mention risotto and the terrific desserts.

Hi samantha2! 🙂

I’m happy you like Italian food 🙂

Only one question: what do you mean by “all the other bad pasta stuff”? I don’t understand the true meaning of the word “bad” in the sentence. I know “bad” means “not good”.

Thank you for your answer :):)

Hi and welcome

Thank you so much!! 😊

He he, “bad” was meant ironically because that delicious stuff has a lot of carbs and fat. So it gets on your hips – okay, mine – very fast. “Seconds in the mouth and years on the hips.” as my almost-mother-in-law used to say to me. ^^

Mascarpone forever!!!

Welcome Linda! Italy is beautiful. I look forward to reading your posts! Your English is excellent: your teacher should be proud.

Seconds in the mouth and years on the hips

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You are very nice!

Anyway depends on what you eat and where because not all the Italian food is fat. 😉

Welcome Linda! Italy is beautiful. I look forward to reading your posts! Your English is excellent: your teacher should be proud.

Hi and thank you very much!! But I don’t think my English is excellent. 😟 My more difficult is to leasten and speak. I can better write and read although I need vocabulary very often but anyway I have sometimes a difficult to explain what I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!