Hot Weather

This topic contains 33 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

My summer here in Michigan has been really hot and humid, it’s like 90 degrees today and so muggy out you wouldn’t believe.  I used to go to this beach only about 10 minutes from where I live, but it was shut down for the second half of this summer because of E Coli!  Well I just hope it’s back up next year, before it closed I would often go there around noon and just bury my toes in the sand and read a book.

I went to the Great Lakes beach about an hour from me a couple times, it’s really lovely but too far away to just sort of run over to.  And it’s really crowded, where like my little beach is almost always empty, so it’s perfect for relaxing.

My favorite part of warm weather really I think is I haven’t had to wear socks for like almost six months. 🙂

Attachments:
    1 member liked this post:

I think we have seen the last of those sort of temperatures here this year as it’s getting very autumnal now. I know what you mean about the beach as ours is about an hour away too. Our beaches have not closed at any point due to pollution but they were bad some years ago. They are now slowly improving exept for plastic waste. I expect the weather in Michigan will soon change similarly, even getting really cold?

Oh I can only hope Jen, today it’s soooo hot and humid out there, I’m glad I’m staying inside!  I went out to grab my mail and I almost died.  Well obviously not literally, but you know what I mean?  I really feel deeply for anyone who has to work outside in this type of weather, it’s just so oppressive. 🙁

I’m glad you’re getting more autumn like weather! 🙂

As you all know, I live in Britain. I am glad the weather has cooled down: I hate being all hot and sweaty. I also love autumn because of Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night. Autumn is a wonderful season and I look forward to it every year. Don’t get me wrong: summer is great, but I like the shift in the weather as the year progresses. Plus, it is a very picturesque time of year.

3 users liked this post:

Yay, weather’s finally nicer here, I can have my windows open again. 🙂

I am always opening windows, Mamie! I don’t like stale air in my apartment. The problem with open windows you can guess: spiders. Yes: I found one spider in my bathroom the other week and it was big. I nearly had a heart attack as it clung to the wall. I put it outside fast. Another spider I found the other day was in my lounge. I was watching TV and there in the middle of the carpet it was just sitting. Again, I got rid of it fast. Now, I put all spiders outside and never kill them. I mean, that is a problem with opening windows. But what can you do when you need fresh air?

Oh dear, do your windows have screens?  Mine have a mesh screen so insects and animals can’t get in, but spiders don’t bother me anyways.  Whenever I find them in my house I just give her a name and I’ll talk to her sometimes. 🙂

Oh and I have a pet tarantula. XD

2 users liked this post:

I also give spiders names at times Mamie, but have never had a tarantula. I don’t think I would go that far although it would not bother me too much.

Another lover of autumn and spring here.. Ive never been great with hot sunny weather and I love all the colours and fun that can be had photographing in the autumn.

Although I did try to squeeze a little extra sunshine this year…

Attachments:

😀 x

If I may ask, what made you want to own a pet tarantula? I also love spiders myself and would love to handle such a spider. They are amazing creatures, aren’t they? Also, do you ever handle him/her?

I look forward to your reply!

2 users liked this post:

@kitkatkitty

My daughter keeps exotics and one of them was Matilda a Brachypelma Smithi, or Red Knee Tarantula. They never handeled Matilda she was too grumpy and would kick out her leg hairs at you which cause a lot of itching. This summer she passed away at the age of 22.. Thats not really old for this type of spider they can live up to 30 years ..

My daughter says she misses Tilda (as we called her) . Although currently she and her OH have rattlesnakes and several other type of reptile in their care.

2 users liked this post:

If I may ask, what made you want to own a pet tarantula? I also love spiders myself and would love to handle such a spider. They are amazing creatures, aren’t they? Also, do you ever handle him/her?

I look forward to your reply!

I’ve never handled her, but I love talking to her.  I just feel such a fascination with spiders, I love her little eyes and her long legs.  I enjoy cats, and I think I’ve always just sort of associated spiders as being similar to cats, how they help with pests and such.  When I see a spider building a web somewhere, I task her as being guardian of that area and give her responsibility for taking care of mosquitoes and such. 🙂

Daenerys is a Mexican Red Rump.

2 users liked this post:

My daughter says she misses Tilda (as we called her) . Although currently she and her OH have rattlesnakes and several other type of reptile in their care.

I don’t think I would go as far as poisonous snakes, at least the lethal kinds. I can picture too many opportunities for accidents, although I am not petrified of them as such. I do think that these constrictors which some people keep here are dangerous too though. We only have one type of wild poisonous snake, which is normally not lethal, so less of a worry. I think they do live locally though although I have only seen non-poisonous Grass Snakes. People need a license to keep poisonous snakes so they are not common.

@spinningjen , both my daughter and her OH are trained in animal care they both have vaste knowledge about reptiles so much so that our local rescue calls her OH when they find or are asked to rescue a reptile and he also gives lectures at the local collage. They have a reptile room at home with special tanks lighting heating etc and a strict protocol about handling and safety. Their investement and dedication runs into many thousands of euro and study and most of the animals they have are rescues, taken or surrendered by people who had no idea what they were getting into when they bought a ‘cute little snake’. You’re right there are far too many chances for things to go wrong in inexprienced hands which is why they both feel there should be much stricter controls on the pet trade.

I think that for many people having a dangerous pet is a bit like riding a motorbike or bungee jumping its the thrill of it that interests them but unlike a bike you cant just pull a tarp over a live animal and park it up when you get bored.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  cassandra.
    2 users liked this post:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!