Home » Topics » General Discussion » General Chat » How Has Your March Day Gone?

How Has Your March Day Gone?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author

I have done the majority of the cleaning today:

1. Cleaned my bathroom
    2. Cleaned my kitchen
    3. Hoovered
    4. Took out the rubbish
    5. Washing two loads of laundry
    6. Mopping
    7. Airing out my apartment
    8. Running the dehumidifier

I have also changed a few table cloths to prettify my home. I do love living in a clean, luxurious apartment that will always be my favourite home. I do still need to wipe down more surfaces, but I’ll get to it tomorrow morning. I definifely will always clean. I just want hygiene and comfort: and lots of fresh air.

Took the floor boards up and inspected the beams today..

Good news no rot.. just a little remedial work and we can lay the new floor…

In the mean time we are going to decorate give everything a fresh coat of paint.

I’ve drunk my L’OR instant coffee. I have had my daily shower. I have also had my medical review over the telephone this morning. I have a blood test in a few weeks time: they shall be taking two vials of blood. I have sorted some personal admin work. I am now browsing the Internet. I have also put on a load of laundry – as you do – and am airing out my apartment.

It is a gorgeous, sunny day here in the Midlands: lovely spring-like weather.

Enjoy your day!

It hasnt been a good day today.. All the horrible news covarge of Harry and Megan has really hurt..

Dont get me wrong I dont give a hoot about royalty and I couldnt care less if they are in out or halfway up..

But Ive read some really hateful things online regarding both Harry and Megans metal health and how the negative gutter press attention affected them.. People basically saying they are lying and they asked for it. Did they really ask to be bullied and have their child portrayed as an ape? Some people have even gone so far as to say she should have just done it…( ie killed herself)

My family has suffered 3 suicides and hearing such hateful things about someone who says they are depressed really hits me like a punch in the stomach, is this what those people really think ? Is that what they think about my loved ones that it was all put on and just for attention?Just because someone is well know or famous or rich it isnt a reason to spread vile hatred and it doesnt mean they cant be ill or depressed.

So although what Ive read isnt about my situation because some of it has been said by people I know Im wondering if I really trust or like them anymore.. Its made me tearful and exhausted..

People can be utterly hateful. And it will always be that way. No one is immune to hurt – like Meghan is not immune – but people always tend to say what they think when given permission. If not allowed, those thoughts stay hidden: but if the person is exposed, thoughts – and nasty ones – are shared. I’ve had people turn nasty on me: and is was deeply unpleasant. If I’m seen as meat for having a vulnerable side, then Meghan is not immune to being seen as meat. BUT it is downright nasty and unacceptable. And it affects Meghan and everyone around Meghan. And must also deeply affect her son. Which is not on and must be stopped.

Plus: no baby chooses their skin colour: no one chooses their genetics.

I think that the press are in there again with Harry and Meghan, getting their stories and working on the words as they feel but what did they expect? Harry’s own mother was hounded by the press and it is probably something always in the back of his mind. With his family he had support. Outside he has to ride the media in a sea of sharks without a lifeboat. They will milk it then would just as quickly leave him in the gutter. I just hope they get some solid foundation together before that happens.

My own feelings are Harry will think, in time, that he made a mistake and regret but time will tell.  Charles and Diana all over again but slightly different. Being a royal is not an obvious position to fully understand. Meghan may have been used to the limelight but she should have realised that it is completely different to the screen. In a way she has bitten off more than she can chew. A movie part too big. Running away from it has not made the problem go away.

The issue on the babies skin colour seems a non-issue to me that is being blown up. In any ‘mixed race’ situation it is perfectly natural to think of colour, in a somewhat similar way to the gender of the baby. It does not automatically equate to racial predjudice. Why is consideration of brown eyes or blue Ok but mention of dark or light skin taboo? I also think that if there was any thought that this would be a problem then the marriage would have never gone ahead in the family anyway. Even if so, there would have been counselling. It’s also true in any organisation that there will be ‘tittle tattle’ which is often hurtful to overhear.

Personally I have not watched the interview. Don’t forget that Oprah is part of the media circus. Can you really believe all that has been said is true? Meghan is an actress. Was it all true or an Oscar winning performance? How much were they influenced by Oprah – She was there for the cash and cudos after all!

No I will not watch the interview. I wonder how different it would be if it had taken place in the UK rather than on the American media circus? Either way, I am not sure if it can be believed. The facts will have been embellished as that is how things work.

I know this isn’t about the royal family situation, but I have gotten my delivery [online shopping]. I have also given myself a manicure this morning: I used a gorgeous fun summer pink. I have had my daily shower. I shall be eating my lunch shortly. I already drank my cup of coffee, which is my daily routine. I have also been browsing the Internet.

Enjoy your Wednesday, guys!

I have had my new floor delivered today.

the wall hanging bracket for my television arrived and the paint for the walls has been mixed and the colour is very pretty ,so we are getting on with the jobs we need to do.

I have strained my shoulder which isn’t so good and I am staying off of social media for a day of two until things calm down and I can face people without being angry at them.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by cassandra.

I don’t know a lot about the laws regarding press/media access in the different countries and don’t really follow the tabloids.  I have noticed that the British press seem to be much more ravenous toward the royals than the American press is toward celebrities.

I did watch the interview with great interest.  It took place at a mutual friend’s house with a beautiful covered patio.  Apparently, it was located somewhere between Oprah’s estate and theirs.  The takeaway I got was that they left because they were not being shielded by the royal family, like formally denying the many lies printed about Meghan.  Once they fled to Canada, a commonwealth in which they could still serve the royal family, it was decided that their services were no longer wanted/needed, and their security detail was pulled after the press published their location.  Before the pandemic could further restrict their movements, they took up Tyler Perry’s offer of his home and security.  There, they had at least some breathing room to figure out what to do next.  I believe, they’ve finally settled in the Santa Barbara area.

I think the view from the royals is that they try to avoid skirmishes with the press however difficult it is. I cannot believe they were deliberately left to the wolves, but each has a duty to follow. It’s a hard act and would take time to learn. Born royals grow up with it and most learn from a very early age but someone from a different background would find it hard. This is a point worth noting – The royal family will, by convention and experience try to avoid these press skirmishes. They know the media are sharks. Diana’s death for one proves that. Whatever the press reaction to the royal response, this needs to be remembered.

With respect to the security detail – There was strong reaction here from the population against provision of security when Harry and Meghan moved. Not to forget that their security was being provided by taxpayers money. I am not sure who finances royal security but this is who ultimately pays. I suspect a lot of it is Special Branch. That said, both the royals and the government really had to justify things. Having a non-compliant pair was not helping. The population here were of a (not unjust) view that if they were wanting to split from royal involvement and duties that was Ok but why should taxpayers be paying for people not doing their share. The Canadian government, I think, were of a similar view so why should they pickup the tab. One point to remember also is that Harry and Meghan were not pennyless so they would probably be able to pay themselves anyway. As private citizens they would be in the same boat as anyone else, which is maybe where their ‘having their cake and eating it’ feelings about how they are behaving is coming from. It is not so much as ‘their services were no longer needed’ as ‘they resigned’ being the view here. Unlike many other places they are allowed to resign and are not forced to comply. As much as they may be a family the royal family here have a very busy work schedule. I suspect it is a nightmare setting up all the visits with security, travel arrangements, co-incident appointments etc. It’s maybe not realised elsewhere but try to imagine how it would be if a prominent member of US presidential staff suddenly decided to live across the other side of the world, for instance. Would your president be happy? How would the US people feel? What would happen?

As, even many people here now and certainly many other countries, do not really believe in or understand the monarchy and the way it runs there is a lot of harshness as to the way things have gone. This is not a democratically elected organisation which is held accounable in the same way as normal government. It’s far more involved and complex as it has tradition but also conforms to law. It is not something which Meghan would have any experience of and Harry would be still learning. It is hard and there have been many fallen by the wayside over the years. The ghost of Diana seems to have haunted him which has clouded his judgement, I think, over the years and has not helped at all. Not that this is an issue which could not be overcome but to have a partner with no royal experience would make things harder. The media, here again, don’t help as they continually keep bringing the subject back. Think of a loved one who you have lost and imagine seeing their picture with some hurtful past detail being regularly aired in the media.

I have not followed progress avidly but one thing I do wonder though is – Now that they are settled in California and have left many of their issues behind then why are they raking them up again? Surely if you leave a bad situation you are normally wanting to forget about it?

I have not followed progress avidly but one thing I do wonder though is – Now that they are settled in California and have left many of their issues behind then why are they raking them up again? Surely if you leave a bad situation you are normally wanting to forget about it?

This paragraph stood out to me. You don’t bring up past issues if you’re trying to forget about them. I am not an expert on the royal family, but it is best to leave the dirty laundry away from people. They do live a public life, though. Meghan knew when she married Harry – and even before by becoming an actress – she’d be in the public eye. They can’t complain about the attention if they’re deliberately drawing attention to themselves. Meghan chose that life: and must accept it.

[quote quote=228896]

[/quote]

True . but when people publically specualte and print or publish half turths or outrights lies wouldnt it niggle.. Wouldnt you want to ‘set the record straight’? I know I would if someone were perpetuating lies about me.

This has already cost two jobs firstly Piers Morgan who is about  the worst example of a journalist you can find.. He may turn to print to continue his nastiness although its doubtful the knuckle dragging imbiciles who enjoy his kind of reporting can read…

Plus Ian Murrey Society of editors chief resigned after he claimed that UK press was not racist… Errrr this would be the same press who printed the infamous cartoon of baby Archie ( at that time unborn ) in the image of an ape?

@KitKatKitty
    you are public, in that you are out there in print as am I… How would you feel if someone saw that as a reason to attack you in the press , maybe claim your work was not original,  that you lied about writing your poems and books..What if they said you were a horrible person and was only nice to people when it suited you because you wanted the limelight and fame being published could bring?
    Would it be fair? Would you want to run and hide or would you want to counter those claims stand up for yourself and put the record straight?

Just wondering… How would we react in that situation…..Then imagine your family gagged you and let it carry on… How would you feel then…..

Just because they are famous , rich or in the limelight it doesnt give anyone the right to tear them to shreds for fun and amusement.

Meghan choose a royal life married to a Prince she did  not choose to be slandered and insulted , she did not choose to be mocked and have her unborn child degraded she did not choose to be held up as some villian for us all to boo and hurl insults at..

No one asks to be buillied and black or white rich or poor famous or not everyone deserves respect and if we cannot extend a little respect then we are sad and pitiful excuses for human beings.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by cassandra.

Today has gone pretty well. The prospect of having lunch with their dad sent a couple of the boys a bit wonky, and I haven’t pushed a ton to get their attentions fully on academics. I read an adventure novel to them for a while before the lunch, and afterwards we watched a show on archaeology. They’ve also been interested in food chains/webs, so that’s some science covered! (Using a science book we’ve got too!) I did a couple pages from English and Math workbooks for the youngest as well. We’ll dive back in tomorrow!

While the boys were away, I took a long walk from one city park to another (since they’re connected by a path on private properties) and I had time for lunch at home after that. It was a good break for me!

Thank you for your response, Jen.  You gave me a lot to consider.

[quote quote=228896]It’s maybe not realised elsewhere but try to imagine how it would be if a prominent member of US presidential staff suddenly decided to live across the other side of the world, for instance. Would your president be happy? How would the US people feel? What would happen?[/quote]Actually, that very thing happened at the beginning of Trump’s presidency.  It’s not unusual to start Secret Service protection once someone becomes a major candidate.  Once Trump became the Republican candidate, the Secret Service rented an entire floor of the Trump tower to set up a command center.  Once elected, SS Protection is extended to immediate family as well, to include both adult and minor children.  Melania stayed behind in NYC, effectively increasing the cost of SS because they had to cover an additional residence.  Then, because the federally owned Camp David retreat wasn’t good enough for Trump, the taxpayers then paid for multiple trips and expensive rooms for SS at Mar-a-Lago.

[quote quote=228896]As, even many people here now and certainly many other countries, do not really believe in or understand the monarchy and the way it runs there is a lot of harshness as to the way things have gone. This is not a democratically elected organisation which is held accounable in the same way as normal government. It’s far more involved and complex as it has tradition but also conforms to law. It is not something which Meghan would have any experience of and Harry would be still learning. It is hard and there have been many fallen by the wayside over the years.[/quote]Meghan mentioned that relationships with the royals is nothing like those with regular celebrities…it’s a whole other ball game.

[quote quote=228896]I have not followed progress avidly but one thing I do wonder though is – Now that they are settled in California and have left many of their issues behind then why are they raking them up again? Surely if you leave a bad situation you are normally wanting to forget about it?[/quote]I would agree.  Still, I wonder if she just wanted to be heard.

[quote quote=228912]
    True . but when people publically specualte and print or publish half turths or outrights lies wouldnt it niggle.. Wouldnt you want to ‘set the record straight’? I know I would if someone were perpetuating lies about me.
    [/quote]

[quote quote=228957]

I would agree. Still, I wonder if she just wanted to be heard.
    [/quote]

I would agree with you both here, but, as I implied earlier and from my experience over the years I find there are times when it has been best to ‘cut my losses and run’. It gets to a point when you realize where things are going and the term ‘flogging a dead horse’ comes to mind.  I would wonder at the value of opening out to the media when it is the media which has been the cause of many of the problems.

Yes there are many people who feel for both Meghan and Harry but from much of the social media responses I have seen they have little sympathy from many people here in the UK, to say the least. Yes, she has got her points across but will it help anyone in the longer term?

I just hope that the interests of both the couple and family are sorted amicably and the media get their just desserts, but fear that won’t be the case. Sad but the facts of life.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!