How High Do You Rate Your Intelligence?

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Work & Careers How High Do You Rate Your Intelligence?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mamie 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Thinking about Math and SpinningJen saying she had watched the Steven Hawking film has anyone watched the film The Man Who Knew Infinity? Its the story of the <span class=”ILfuVd NA6bn”><span class=”e24Kjd”> Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan</span></span> and how he was jusdged not on his intelligence or talent but on the colour of his skin and the background he came from..

It made me wonder how many seriously brilliant people get overlooked simply because they dont have the right background or go to the right school, speak with the correct accent or look a particular way..

Mathematics does apply to everything. For instance:

1. Shopping bills
    2. Counting money in general
    3. Counting any items – from food to clothing to a CD collection
    4. Working out utility bills
    5. Counting vegetables and the suchlike when cooking
    6. Using Excel spreadsheets – for household budgeting, etc.
    7. Weighing oneself
    8. Using washing machines/computers/other types of machines
    9. Writing poetry/composing music
    10. Writing in general – this referring to formatting
    11. Knowing door numbers
    12. Doing scientific equations
    13. Passing exams

Of course there are so many more instances where mathematics is necessary. But these – I believe – are the main ones. No one can be independent without knowledge of numbers.

1 member liked this post:

I home educated my son for a while when he was very young (he was bullied for his ADHD) we played blackjack for treats to help teach him to add up quickly and I taught him to cook so that he could learn about weights and measures. Math isnt always boring book work but it has an application in everyday life.

I remember seeing an interview with a detergent manufacturer and he said that most of his profit was made by people not understanding how to measure dosages. So they used far too much product and had to buy more…

Children can be so nasty, cassandra. As you know, if your child doesn’t fit in, they will bully. People who stand out from the crowd – through no fault of their own – are usually always targeted by the bullies.

1. Lisa Kudrow – bullied for being too good looking
    2. Christina Aguilera – bullied for doing well in music and making a lot of money
    3. Jessica Alba – bullied out of jealousy of her film work
    4. Others – bullied for being talented at music/writing/having a disability/being too quiet/being too nice/being the new girl in town

The excuses for bullying don’t end.

I remember seeing an interview with a detergent manufacturer and he said that most of his profit was made by people not understanding how to measure dosages. So they used far too much product and had to buy more…

Something I would agree with Cassandra. It’s hard to resist the natural thought when buying the larger economy size that there is a lot so less need to be sparing. I notice when hand washing that it only takes the merest drip of detergent to wash. I also agree with the fairy Liquid adverts that it lasts. A standard bottle lasts me months but I can imagine many just quirting without thinking.

I forgot that construction and accounting also require high excellence in numbers. The list for what jobs need numbers is endless, though.

Anyhow, you’re right, SpinningJen: when you have a larger item, you can forget you need less like normal and use more because the packaging is bigger. But I will tell you this: I won’t use too much detergent. This is because I did a while ago and was lucky my washing machine didn’t over soap itself. Having a flooded kitchen with all the bubbles would’ve been a disaster.

Just a warning! LOL.

I personally value wisdom over intelligence, and I feel that leads to more happiness and personal success.

I do view myself as intelligent though, I feel I can understand deep concepts very well, and I consider myself very perceptive.

KitKatKitty I also love mathematics!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!