How Organised Are You?

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat How Organised Are You?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  SpinningJen 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I am incredibly so.

I like my computer files organised; my apartment organised; my time organised… everything, basically.

I just cannot stand things being messy and disorganised. I don’t just mean with housework, but also computer files: such as my bookmark feed, my email account and everything else on my computer. Having a system makes life so much easier and much less difficult. I know where everything is and things that have to be done always get dealt with.

What about you?

1 member liked this post:

I have so many different accumulated things and hobbies that a certain amount of organisation is essential. I am overloaded though as I do keep busy with many things.

I just can’t function without everything in its place and the suchlike. Life is busy and things have to be stored and taken note of. Having a system in all areas of life matters a lot to me. Having a digitally organised life matters, too. Being messy and disorganised is very frustrating and I don’t like it. Of course, a lot of people do try to get organised in spring-time, yet that falls by the wayside when the months roll on. Loads of people think it too difficult to have an organised life: in fact, it makes life easier.

I hope anyone reading this takes inspiration to sort their lives out both domestically and digitally. It is well worth setting up systems. I do know I sound like KonMari, but I do think she has the right approach.

I think like you, but I can’t  always  organized as I would  like

I could kid myself and everyone else that I am so organised its almost an obsession. But in reality, it’s more a case of. “that’s ok where it is” But, and here is the BUT If my OH needs something and can’t find it. I normally know exactly where it is. So I supposed I am organised. it’s just in my own strange form of organisation

A lot of people are like that Rowena, so you’re not abnormal. I am just strict about organisation. In fact, I am more so than years back. I love systems and sub systems and all that gubbins. I don’t like chaos.

How organised? Well… I have two file cabinets in my office for home stuff. Official forms and current banks statements  as well as all the car papers, birth certificates, funeral arrangements, living will etc are in one. The other has the user manuals for equipment we have bought as well as a box with all sorts of greeting cards from birth to death and everything in between. Im never at a loss for a card!

As each year ends the bank statements and bill/reciepts for that year are archived and placed in the loft. Each years tax form and returns are placed in a special folder and stored.

My food cupboards and freezers are stocked in FIFO  (first in first out) and even my bathroom goods are carefully sorted and stacked .

Each week I work out a menu for the coming week and buy shopping accordingly. I try not to over buy or waste any food.

Im not obessive but as I buy or re-stock if I find putting things away in order saves much searching at a later date.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  cassandra.

As each year ends the bank statements and bill/reciepts for that year are archived and placed in the loft. Each years tax form and returns are placed in a special folder and stored.

Our aim is now to clear the loft of everything, mainly because of the difficulty with access. I wonder Cassandra. What are your thoughts on keeping paper records? I find now, with lots of things online, that records are increasingly accessible in electronic form. I agree with keeping a few years records and obviously major ones but my paperwork was beginning to overwhelm.

@spinningjen

Lofts here are treated as another room proper staircase floors window and heating so no problems about access or damp.

We are required to keep paperwork for 5years its it easy as I file one year eg 2019 I threw away 2014

Where possible I do things online my tv, phone water rates etc are all done digitally so that helps cut the paperwork. But some things such as tax and all communication with the care agencies have to be paper and stored for 5 years.

I live in a small house so I like to be organized with everything in it’s place. I’m old school and although I like and use technology, I still have an address book and a daily planner. I recently had to buy a new TV and mentioned to my son that I wanted a TV with a built in DVD player. My sons reply was, ” Mom, you are such a Boomer”. LOL

Where possible I do things online my tv, phone water rates etc are all done digitally so that helps cut the paperwork. But some things such as tax and all communication with the care agencies have to be paper and stored for 5 years.

There is not that requirement here, as far as I know, but it is prudent to keep some records for government / tax purposes. I don’t need to fill in tax forms but one never knows when an official request will land on the doorstep. This is why I tend to keep the annual statements but am now limiting any monthly ones.

Identification is sometimes required for various reasons and, as we don’t use identity cards, documents are needed.

Now there’s something. When was the last time you had to show your birth certificate to identify yourself?

I think it must have been perhaps 15 years ago at least if not much longer. Normally it’s just a driving licence or passport. My passport has expired. One day when im going to travel again ill have to renew it.  Can you even lay your hands on your birth certificate? I know mine is in my bedside cabinet. But it must have forgotten what daylight looks like by now.

Im sorry I do not know why its doing my post in a quote box.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Rowena.

Here our ID is either a drivng licence or your ID card and everyone over 14 must have an ID card and one or the other must be carried at all times.

I have never been asked for my birth certificate here..

BTW they are in the file marked births marriage and death in the filing cabinet along with my marriage certifcate and the death certs of my inlaws…!

I know where my birth certificate is. It is a certified copy so my mum must have the original. My passport ran out but I do have my driving license. We may get ID cards here at some point but I think many people would refuse to carry them. With the rise in cameras and big brother I am not sure that they will be required. I interogated a police workman the other day when he was putting a black box on a lamp post near where I live. He said it was just to check speed and count cars, not a speed camera, which I believe but, including that one, I have seen two locally. They are just inconspicuous black boxes, but with (probably) radar detectors and computer innards with maybe phone system connection. Big brother creeps in!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!