How Strict Are You With Your Teeth?

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Health & Diet How Strict Are You With Your Teeth?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I am incredibly vigilant when it comes to my teeth:

1. I brush my teeth each morning with a manual toothbrush
    2. I brush my teeth each night with an electric toothbrush
    3. I see the dentist twice a year, every year
    4. I have been receiving dental treatment since I was a child
    5. I have had a professional whitening treatment
    6. I had orthodontic treatment as a teenager
    7. Hence why I was fitted with a brace
    8. I avoid sweets

Over to you!

1 member liked this post:

My absolute terror of the dentist was a fact I hid well. My children were all grown before I confessed.

I got toothache as a child while I was staying with an aunt and she took me to her dentist. He held me down and drilled no pain releif because he told her as I screamed that childrens teeth do not have nerves ( how could I have felt pain then?) I remember sliding down the chair and him holding me down my nails biting into the arm rests of the chair feeling the drill screaming through my head.

The man was a sadistic brute but its left me with a deep fear.

Even so twice a year I go for check ups. I took the children even when they were very young and I was lucky to have very nice dentists. One called Charlie would left my son ride in the chair spit the pink water and look in mummy mouth just so he got used to the idea of a dentist. Then we moved and we had nice Mr Pijlman very young but charming. He was also very good about seeing us all together as a family and was always very positive about treatments , checkups etc etc.

So when I confessed to my children that I was terrified of the dentist they sat around with wide eyes and open mouths.. Then my eldest said and the best actor Oscar goes to mum …… They said they thought I was a bit in love with the dentist the way I made an afternoon of it skipped in as if he was my best friend always smiling and joking with him.

But not one of my children is afraid they all have regular check ups and all take good care of their teeth.

These days I have a nice efficient dentist hes a little autistic, speaks very little and is quite blunt but he is honest and knows what hes doing. I still go every 6 months and if I need other treatment I dont hesitate, now my only worry is that as he is a bit older he will retire and I will have to see someone else !

I have that problem Cassandra as my dentist has just retired. At the moment, with everything in the air, I am just glad my teeth seem Ok because there are no checkups. I usually only go once a year anyway but it has been one and a half years now.

That’s a shame, cassandra. Because dentists are nothing to fear: you’re simply in a chair and can’t see what he/she is doing. The fact you went through such a traumatic dental situation was unacceptable. Believe me: modern day dentists are nothing like that! They’d lose their jobs if they were that unprofessional and incompetent.

I write this from experience: I have had teeth pulled out, fillings put in, a brace fitted. None of those things were comfortable, but I am glad I did them. Please don’t fear the dentist: what you went through was highly unusual and a long time ago. Dental practices have vastly improved since then.

Do continue to see your dentist: again, you’ve nothing to fear.

My dad and my ex had about the same philosophy about caring for your teeth: No need to bother, and it’s too much money to spend. (Dad had his teeth all taken out by age 20. And he didn’t care. Sigh.) I wonder if that also included some fear in both men that I wasn’t told about?

After separating from my ex, I started taking care of my teeth and finally got to the dentist. Wasn’t too bad for having three decades between visits. (I’d gone for a check as a child because I had an accident and nearly lost my teeth. Once we got the okay on their development, we didn’t go again that I remember!) The boys are covered under their dad’s medical insurance, but I pay for my dental work. Had insurance while I was a full-time university student, but now it’s back to me. I don’t mind, though, because it’s now mostly maintenance. I’ve had fillings and a wisdom tooth out, and good experiences (though one hygienist was too chatty when she was supposed to be cleaning my teeth, not asking for life advice!).

We need to book with a new dentist, changing so we can be closer to home. The pandemic restrictions last year had us at home and not looking to get into the usual dentist’s office, so I don’t even know when they reopened. (They haven’t even called us. Maybe a good time to switch if they’re not on top of their patients’ needs for checkups?)

I use an electric toothbrush twice a day, floss at night (and pay attention to bits of popcorn or meat that get stuck during the day), make sure I rinse well after having sweets to eat, and avoid drinks with sugar. Usually get in for a cleaning every 6-9 months.

My oldest had an expander and braces, but is now metal-free. 🙂 I’m doing my best to teach the boys that a healthy mouth leads to a healthier body. Our body systems are connected, so you can’t just ignore one part of your body and expect to still be doing well all over!

It is such a shame some people fear the dentist or aren’t encouraged to see a dentist growing up. The person could have lovely teeth: if only they could get over their fear or ignore relatives who say they shouldn’t bother brushing their teeth. You don’t need to be a superstar to have nice teeth: brushing twice a day, every day/avoiding sweets/seeing the dentist twice a year and not ducking out of dental procedures are key. ANYONE can have nice teeth: it just takes the bravery of seeing the dentist and brushing your teeth regularly.

To be blunt, if the person doesn’t bother doing all this, they’ve only got themselves to blame for having poor teeth.

I think, if a dentist saw my teeth, he would run in fear. honestly: my care of them is so poor, I am surprised I have any left

I can’t remember the last time I saw one, either. I do have a fear of the dentist.. a big fear.

I find dentists very helpful. They want you to have the best health you can, and their part in that is seeing to your teeth and gums.

If you start with great maintenance habits at home, it might not be so bad when you do get to the dentist, and then you can keep up those habits between visits to keep the cost down on your visits.

I think Rebecca is right, emily91: just brushing your teeth every night would do the trick to having nicer teeth. You don’t need super-white or mega-straight teeth, though, to have nice teeth. Simply brushing them every day – at least once – will help. You DON’T need an expensive electric toothbrush: a manual brush will do. You also don’t need an expensive mouthwash: just rinse your teeth fully after every brush at night.

I also think you should face your fear of the dentist. If you take small steps to nicer teeth, you’ll have nothing to fear from the dentist. Plus, you’d feel better about yourself!

Just to note: you don’t need superstar teeth. All you need is regularly brushed more white than yellow teeth. And do avoid too many sweets, as they will undo all your hard work.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  KitKatKitty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!