Lucky Lottery Winner of $39 million

Female Forum Forums General Discussion In the News Lucky Lottery Winner of $39 million

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TestDummyCO 6 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

They are lucky, lucky, lucky. And congratulations to them!

I hope they spend their winnings wisely. Because in the world of money, their small fortune won’t last forever. It IS a great deal of money, but they must spend it with care. I know I am boring, but – in their shoes – I’d continue to be the sensible person I am. And I am very happy for them. I wouldn’t swap places BUT they have their fortune made and can live a better life.

Who’d want more than that? Oh and also: do YOU play the lottery? Have you ever won anything? I don’t: and I never have. I’ll just have to earn my money the good old fashioned way: by working. [As I have been doing!]

My husband said this morning if we win the lotto tonight the first thing he is going to do is adopt the rabbit we rescued a couple of weeks ago..

Forget the ferrari or the big house his dream is a lop eared rabbit!

2 users liked this post:

About 30 years ago, my ex and I bought a couple of $1 scratch tickets at the nearby grocery store.   When we got home, one of the tickets won $2.  My husband went back to the store to cash it in for two more tickets.  One of them won $10.  Again, he cashed it in for more tickets. (I would have quit while I was ahead.)  One of those tickets won $50!  He wanted to go on, but I insisted we stop.

I don’t normally play the lottery.  Yeah, I know you have to be in it to win it.  On occasion, I’d join an office pool, but I haven’t done that for a few years.

I don’t gamble much, if at all. I wouldn’t even know how to play the lottery and I never have. A point to note on these things is that the organisers have large houses and plush cars. Someone pays for them. I am happy just having enough to comfortably live on. As such I am still near enough to remember when I had nothing. Having a large figure usually results in spending big and being afraid of losing it all. From a few million a thousand or two would seem like nothing but means a lot to most. Being more engrossed in my hobbies and studies the money means less. My stepson did win enough once to buy a new computer (I think a couple of thousand shared between him and a friend) but I do wonder how far up, if at all, he is up in winnings over time.

2 users liked this post:

I have always said never to gamble more than you can afford to loose. The lottery we play is  one which supports cahrities so there is never the huge 10 or 20 million jackpots. Its nice to think that while possibly winning a bit extra yourself there is also the knowledge that a good deal of the profits go to a good cause.

2 users liked this post:

I used to buy scratch tickets for holidays because some relatives had started doing it for a few years, and it seemed like harmless fun. But I can’t afford to spend money on such a poor return on investment. Also, it’s better to focus on working hard and being content than it is to constantly yearn for the big win for little effort. It seems that in my region, those who play in the provincial and national lotteries are the ones who can least afford it, and they aren’t watching what they spend on it. It’s like a tax on their foolishness.

I do like the idea of a charity getting the money put into a lottery. That would be a good investment, in my mind.

3 users liked this post:

I do like the idea of a charity getting the money put into a lottery. That would be a good investment, in my mind.

I have to agree with this. I also think no one actually needs $39 million. If it is for providing services and helping people, it is a wonderful amount to have. BUT having millions and millions of pounds in the bank doesn’t actually make one happier or make others any nicer deep down. Sure, people will pretend to be nice, but it’s all an act. And even the rich have their heart broken sometimes. I know that is putting a damper on things, but it is being realistic.

Anyhow, my friend, Vicky, is addicted to scratchcards. She knows there is little chance of winning money, but she plays them anyway. I do know the government wants to reduce gambling sites on the Internet and gambling shops in the highstreet. People on benefits can’t afford to risk their income. They need their money for food and paying the electric bill. This is why I am so against PIP payments. Giving a vulnerable person say $600 in one lump sum is asking for trouble. They are going to spend their money before paying the bills. If they’re lucky, they’ll have carers to look after that money. But – if they don’t have that support – they won’t be able to manage their finances and their bills. This putting them at risk of having no heating in the wintertime, etc.

I know I’ve gone off on a tangent, but those are my opinions.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  KitKatKitty.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  KitKatKitty.

There seem to be more gambling adverts on TV now than ever. They appear to have held back on the hard core ones until after the watersed but ones for lotteries and bingo appear to be on all day. In my opinion the government are probably getting lots of tax from the gambling so they have no will to stop it. People like Vicky are doomed to a life of debt. There is a big difference between an evenings bingo at the social club once a week and ready access wherever you look.

People like Vicky are doomed to a life of debt

I have to say you’re most likely right. There is no getting around someone addicted to scratchcards and other gambling issues. It isn’t quick or easy money: it is money that the person ends up owing.

It is sad, really.

It brings you back to that famous question: does money bring happiness? The Buddhist monks believe it doesn’t and actually means bad omens. But people with money like having money. You could go on forever about different perspectives, but I go with my own. This means I believe money is good when it helps others and keeps a roof over my head. But I wouldn’t want to win millions of pounds. A few thousand pounds perhaps, but not millions. I do also believe happiness comes from the soul, rather than the bank account. However, I am not a martyr or the suchlike. I won’t go down a holy road and sacrifice myself for anyone. I just find gratefulness in what I do have, rather than desiring a mansion or collection of fancy cars. What I am trying to say is I try to be glad of what I do have.

1 member liked this post:

A friend of mine went to Indonesia to work with people there in an education program when she came back she said how much she had loved it. I mentioned that the poverty and deprivation would upset me too much.

This was her take on it. In the villages the people mostly have no TV or maybe just one in a communial shack,  however they all have a bit of land a couple of chickens maybe a goat or two and most have a skill in making something. They live a very simple life but really they miss nothing and lack nothing essential to life.

In the cities people try to emulate the western world they tack bits of carpet over shanty shack floors have satalite dishes perched on top of what is little more that the average garden shed. They see the glitz and glamour of the western world and some become envious and long for it. At that point they become poor. They forget their  culture and background and yearn for a dream they can never have.

She said she wouldnt go again because she actually felt that taking western ideals was actually what was ruining the people and not their own way of life.

She said she felt happier in the villages with the simple but fulfilled lives she saw there than she was when in the cities watching people try to be something they were not.

I think  about that and I realise that while we are happy with our lives we are rich. I know when I walk my dogs along an empty beach or in woodland where we dont see another human being for miles and miles I feel very rich. Its when you get involved with people and you hear comments  like  ‘are you still driving that same car’ ‘oh isnt that the dress you wore to last years dinner’ ‘what do you mean not going abroad this year’ that there is  the temptation to fall or get sucked into the consumer ‘keeping up with the Jones’es’  circle. Its at that point you can become dissatisfied and discontent with your life and then you are poor..

Yet another reason to avoid people in my experience.

I always ask, “Who the hell are the Joneses, and why do I want to keep up with them?!”

If people want to snub their noses at my perceived “poverty,” they’re in for a big surprise!  When others lose their jobs or suffer a financial setback (like a divorce), they might lose also their fancy houses or cars.  I never have…and I won’t.

I always ask, “Who the hell are the Joneses, and why do I want to keep up with them?!”

If people want to snub their noses at my perceived “poverty,” they’re in for a big surprise! When others lose their jobs or suffer a financial setback (like a divorce), they might lose also their fancy houses or cars. I never have…and I won’t.

Lol

I remember when my husband tricked me and bought a huge flat screen TV ( it was horrible about the size of a door) a neighbour I had popped in and said ‘oh I would never buy a tv like that because you cant hide it.. because you know if the bailiffs cant see it thay can take it dont you’?

Having never had a bailiff at my door and having no reason to have one call now I was shocked at her thought process.

She is one of the Jones’es,  A branded clothes and a new car every few years…. I prefer to sleep nights knowing that apart from my mortgage I owe nobody a penny…

I prefer not to be in debt too. Things also get so complicated with cashback or not paying for a period of time, with their tiny clauses which mean that you may easily lose out means I just avoid them unless things are very clear cut, which is seldom. Some things I use, I buy some of the best (eg artist’s quality paints) but as  for ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ – I wouldn’t even know how.

I loathe to be debt to anyone: whether a person, business or company. I pay ALL my bills. I pay ALL money I owe to the odd person. I like to pay for myself. I don’t freeload, either. I pay mostly for everything myself: and always will. Having Internet Banking and a debit card mean I get to stay in control of my finances. I REFUSE to have a credit card: they’re trouble from the word GO. No: I stick to using a debit card. This is because it means I am not borrowing money from a credit card company. I also pay all my bills via direct debit and standing order.

If you’re able, I’d advise using Internet Banking: it saves so much time when paying bills and makes life easier altogether.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!