Home » Topics » General Discussion » Just for Fun » My favourite book

My favourite book

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hi there everyone. Thought I’d start a thread on your favourite book(s).

Personally I like several that I would never give away and often pick up now and again to reread.

A Tale of Two Cities – because the story is wonderful and Dickens can paint a perfect picture of how things were

Life of Pi – so cleverly written. Not sure I would want to watch the film

Daddy Longlegs – such a sweet story for a young teenage girl.

What are your favourite books ladies – and why?

I loved the entire Dune series, though I am not a big fan of sci fi.

One flew over the cuckoos nest was brilliant.

The Time Travellers Wife was outstanding, and particularly clever.

That, I think, is my top three.

I collect Nancy Drew books – she always lived an exciting life, chasing the bad guys and solving mysteries. I think Nancy Drew will always be a young person’s idol.

I also collect ‘Point Horror’ books. My favourite is “Trick or Treat” by Richie Tankersley Cusick. She actually wrote for “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”.

I loved the “Angel” book series, based on that Buffy spin-off show. They are excellent reads.

hi ladies,

This is a good question. I grew up in a capital city of Australia and was always intrigued with the country and rural areas. I guess that is what fascinated me about Neville Shute’s ‘a town like Alice’. I loved the romance and descriptions of the towns of Queensland.

1984 by George Orwell. I have imagination and really saw this coming about, which with the massive rise in video cameras and now drones is an awful prediction seeing reality. I like some of his other books like Animal Farm as well, although have not read many.

To get away from things my favorite there is Alice in Wonderland.

I do read more modern books from time to time but seldom find anything that compares.

Gosh A Town Like Alice – I’ve never read the book but just loved the film.

George Orwell was a far sighted writer and wrote wonderful tales.

I’ve gone back to Charles Dickens and am getting much more out of his books now than when I was younger.

Two books I do love are:

“Cupcakes and Cashmere” and

“Cupcakes and Cashmere: At Home” both by Emily Schuman.

They’re basically lifestyle advice books. Emily also has a website of the same name. They are my favourite books.

My book recommendation at the moment is Ants Among Elephants by Sujatha Gidla. Most amazing insight into the Indian caste system. You feel like you are really apart of her family when reading it! Highly recommended

Oh and The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Great for the kids too 🙂

“The Night Circus” is genius. I forget who wrote it, but you should be able to Google it. It is popular for a reason!

Definitely “Green Tomatoes”. 😉

I like “A Woman Of Substance” by Barbara Taylor Bradford. It is an excellent read.

“To Kill A Mockingbird” by Harper Lee is such an engaging book with a fantastic storyline and characters that can be enjoyed by both adult readers and teenage readers as well.

“To Have And Have Not” by Ernest Hemingway with his elegant style of written and this brilliant story about a good man who starts running contraband through the black market due to dire economic situations.

The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling. This is a newer book series that just grabbed my attention with great plots and great characters.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by NicNac.

“Charlotte’s Web” by E.B. White. It is a book I fell in love with as a child and then fell in love with the cartoon movie and later the Dakota Fanning movie.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!