Online Fraud: Beware

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat Online Fraud: Beware

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TestDummyCO 12 hours, 57 minutes ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I have read a good article about fraud in the new issue of “Good Housekeeping” magazine. The article mentioned women conned via dating websites into giving money to assist their online partners. These partners – of course – were actually criminals, pretending – and being very good actors – to need money for their sick family or to pay off debts. They’d cry and cry over the telephone or even in emails, begging to need money. My advice is DO NOT  give any money to anyone online: no matter how desperate they seem. Read the article and heed that advice. Criminals are clever and will use emotional blackmail for profit. They can seem incredibly genuine, but it is all a trick. Again, DO NOT part with your money.

You know I have little sympathy with some people.

I know that sounds hard but bear with me. You get an email that claims to be from some poor soul in a war torn country and they beg for your help. They ask you to take care of their savings and for doing this small favour you will get a handsome cut of their money. Some people get conned but it is their own greed that has led them in.

The same with people who know they did not play a lottery but still click the link to pick up a prize..Greed.

When it comes to lonely people giving money to supposed friends or partners is another matter thats a pure emotional response wanting to help.

The same for people who pretend to be sick to raise money.

They rely on good people driven by love and they are dispicable.

I know I have no cousins in Africa to profit from, I dont play the lottery so I cant have won anything, and I have no need of rich rewards so I wont be fooled into hiding anyones money.

Take nothing that you havent earned , give only what you can afford to lose and keep your donations local.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  cassandra.
    2 users liked this post:

I cannot better your reply Cassandra.

Those dating ones are awful … another one people do is get you to fall in love with them, then they need $2000 to fly over to come be with you. It’s a total scam. Definitely never give your money to someone you don’t know, unless it’s a small amount. I’ve given a few hundred here or there to people I felt really needed help.

For those lottery ones and such, did you know they deliberately write those with such poor English to screen out anyone with even half a brain? They don’t want to waste their time with smart people who will eventually catch on, so they only want the dumbest of the dumb.

Beware also those tax scams … someone calling or emailing you about how you owe money, and if you don’t pay then you’ll go to jail!

One of the biggest red flags is when they create a sense of urgency … for one reason or another, you’ve gotta pay or send money right now. If they don’t want to let you have time to think about it, then something’s almost certainly wrong.

One of the biggest red flags is when they create a sense of urgency … for one reason or another, you’ve gotta pay or send money right now. If they don’t want to let you have time to think about it, then something’s almost certainly wrong.

I agree with that Mamie! These days many forms of advertising, no matter how legitimate, use that tactic.

Another common tactic which takes legitimate almost to scam are the getouts (T and C’s apply etc) at the end of adverts and sales contracts. They tend to be rushed / glossed over / in little hidden print. Almost anything to disguise them. It seriously has a negative advertising effect on me. Really most things I buy are not specifically advertised. Being a rebel I do actively avoid them.

You’re right there, SpinningJen: the small print is exactly that: small and glossed over.

Always check what you’re signing thoroughly.

This has been going on for a looooong time, even before the internet!  Even though I’m saddened that these scams have become so frequent as to become mainstream, I’m glad that these stories are out for everyone to learn from.  There are sooooo many scams other than outright requests for money.

Back in 2005, I posted a profile on Yahoo! Personals.  At the time, I didn’t have a current photo, plus I wanted to be contacted by men who liked what I wrote.  Boy, was I naive!  After having no contact for a couple of months, I had photos taken and posted a few.  I was inundated  with IMs and emails from, what I thought to be, mentally disturbed men.  Their spelling and grammar were atrocious, not to mention the marriage proposals after only 15 minutes of chatting!  It was only after chatting with a couple of legitimate guys who shared some of their strange chats/emails that I did some research, only to find out that these “mentally disturbed men” were actually Nigerians trying to scam me!  It never got as far them asking for money, as I had no interest in them.  Though I was once asked to accept someone’s “inventory” and forward it to him because “companies would not ship to Nigeria.”  (Of course, they/I wouldn’t)  How that works is that he purchases merchandise online with a stolen credit card and has it shipped to me.  I would, in turn, forward it to him.  When the credit card company eventually follows the paper trail, it would end at me!

I found and became involved with an open Yahoo! Group dedicated to educating those who have doubts about their online loves.  I even started and managed another (closed) group, a spinoff, for more light-hearted banter.  With so many members, the off-topic chatter was clogging the main board, making it difficult for newbies to sift through all the BS to get to the important info.

Even though I stopped participating in the main group after a few years, I continued to manage the spinoff for several more.  I eventually removed the group due to non-participation.  Researching it now, the main group has become a closed group (membership must be requested, and only members can read posts).

The Group’s founder also started romancescams.org that has since changed hands.  The new site appears to be sleeker and offer a lot more than the original.

One of the earliest members of the Group started a scammer reporting/database/forum site called romancescam.com.  She also started a small, international dating site of her own.  She has since handed over romancescam.com operations, and she now manages only the dating site.

Back in 2007, several people from the group living in Colorado were visited and interviewed by a documentary filmmaker living in Glenwood Springs.  Though the documentary’s main theme was about relationships and internet dating in general, our interviews regarding romance scams were included as cautionary tales.  I don’t know how well the DVDs sold.

It may seem like common sense to avoid sending money to those we don’t know.  Smarter people than us have been taken in by these thugs, even those in law enforcement.

…stepping off my soapbox, now….

1 member liked this post:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!